Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sloane

I don't think Peter McEnery is ideal casting but I really can't see Barry Evans in the part, I have never seen anything in his work to suggest he could have shown the duplicity and underlying nastiness of the character ( In "ideal casting world "I think it would have been great to see a young Cary Grant in the part).
    I am sure that I saw Malcolm McDowell in a TV excerpt of the play, I believe that he talked about working with Beryl in a tribute to her. He was certainly sinister enough for the role. I could also see the young Oliver Reed as Mr Sloane, he was a good enough actor to carry it off.

Liked
    1 times
    quote lovegod

wonder where Joe Orton dreamt up the idea ....

the graveyard..... the young guy and the older woman...

the woman's gay brother.... !

end quote

cant help thinking that the young guy in the play is

Joe Orton himself.... maybe he got the idea for the play

from some "encounter" in his teenage years ?

He was obviously a very talented and imaginative writer and...

had the murder never happened there would be

a lot more movies and west end hits to his name.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME
    The film version of Loot with Hywel Bennett and Richard Attenborough is pretty good.

I second Bats' recommendation of the BBC's What the Butler Saw - Dinsdale Landon is hilarious. But where can we get a copy?

Invested in a DVD copy of Loot last year and on first viewing I found it difficult to watch, or at least enjoy.

Then I watched it again and thoroughly enjoyed it. So some films are better with another viewing, or perhaps they grow on you?

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I love Entertaining Mr Sloane but liked Loot less. Would love to see What The Butler Saw again; I think it was only shown the once on TV when sadly we didn't have a video recorder

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGHJAMPTON

Joe's opinion of libraries.
    He was a very bad man And because librarians are splendid and forgiving people, Islington kept all the books

Liked
    1 times
    surprised how posh Joe Orton sounds.... do you think he was putting on a posh voice for the telly ?

Thinking about it, if he was pasting nude photos on the fly cover of library books, how come the librarian did nt spot them as Joe handed the books in ?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod
    surprised how posh Joe Orton sounds.... do you think he

was putting on a posh voice for the telly ?
    From the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
    Orton, John Kingsley [Joe] (1933–1967), playwright, was born on 1 January 1933 in the Maternity Hospital, Leicester, the eldest of four children of William Orton (1905–1978), gardener, and his wife, Elsie Mary Bentley (1904–1966), machinist and charwoman. Their seaside-postcard personae of dissatisfied, domineering wife and frail, hen-pecked husband later resurfaced in their son's plays. Orton was educated at Marriots Road primary school and, after failing his eleven-plus, at Clark's College, where his mother enrolled him privately on a secretarial course. He was determined to improve both mind and body: the former with a process of self-education (he had read the whole of Shakespeare by the age of fifteen); the latter with a Charles Atlas chest-expander. He found escape from a series of badly paid, boring office jobs in the world of amateur dramatics. Then, after reading an article by Laurence Olivier on the availability of scholarships, and paying for elocution lessons to eradicate his east midlands vowels, he applied to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA), and was accepted for 1951.

Liked
    4 times
    I saw a production at the Royal Court which starred Beryl Reid, Malcolm McDowell and Ronald Fraser. Great casting all round.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    Didn't Joe Orton keep his Mum's false teeth after she died?

Liked
    1 times
    quote Tom Daws

I saw a production at the Royal Court which starred Beryl Reid, Malcolm McDowell and Ronald Fraser. Great casting all round.

end quote

having just sat thru 2 hours of "Caligula", Malcolme McDowell is not

in my good books right now !

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by wadey
    Didn't Joe Orton keep his Mum's false teeth after she died?
    The legend is that he gave them to the actors in Loot for the business with the mum's false teeth in that.

Don't know if it is true.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    A few years after I first saw EMS at my local cinema, I had the privilege of seeing Beryl Reid and Malcolm McDowell in a West End stage version (1975) - I was in a pub across the road from the theatre before the show, where, much to my surprise, Beryl & Malcolm were also having a drink.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doojeen
    A few years after I first saw EMS at my local cinema, I had the privilege of seeing Beryl Reid and Malcolm McDowell in a West End stage version (1975) - I was in a pub across the road from the theatre before the show, where, much to my surprise, Beryl & Malcolm were also having a drink.
    That might have been 40 years ago THIS WEEK,Doojeen.

"Entertaining Mr.Sloane" had its premiere at the Carlton, Haymarket on 1st April,1970 followed by its North London release May 30th, with selected ABC flagship presentations in between. Where was the cinema may I ask? Its quite possible there's a shot of the very presentation on CinemaTreasures.

Have more adverts (of the Carlton booking) if requested.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    While I'm on Doojeen, here's a photo of your famous couple outside the particular theatre (Duke of York's) you visited.

(Photo in accordance with originator's educational, non-commercial conditions).

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I saw Adam Ant in a stage production during the 80s.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    love EMS got it on dvd when it was released, always found it a hoot, especially when Dada is on his motorised bicycle and Harry andrews is chasing him in that big American pink Caddilac.

Great Stuff !!!!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Both Orton films LOOT and Entertaining Mr Sloane were show in bbc2 British film season in 1981.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12