Liked
    0 times
    Is anyone able to guide me with my quest to access silent films made by a relation of mine - circa 1928. Manning Haynes directed and acted in several films with 'The Ware Case' being I am led to understand his most well-known film. I will be most grateful for any help. Jenny

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='jennyroy']Is anyone able to guide me with my quest to access silent films made by a relation of mine - circa 1928. Manning Haynes directed and acted in several films with 'The Ware Case' being I am led to understand his most well-known film. I will be most grateful for any help. Jenny
    Jenny

This link to the BFI gives a list of his credits. If they have them, you would be able to arrange to book to see them. Worth emailing them with the list and asking which they actually hold.

BFI | Film & TV Database | HAYNES, Manning

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='jennyroy']Is anyone able to guide me with my quest to access silent films made by a relation of mine - circa 1928. Manning Haynes directed and acted in several films with 'The Ware Case' being I am led to understand his most well-known film. I will be most grateful for any help. Jenny

I think The Ware Case may be the best-known of the films he directed, and you know what ?? I've seen it and it's a cracker!! The archetypical country-house murder mystery, it couldn't be more English if it tried. Great direction - the leading man, Stewart Rome, has the reputation of being as wooden as the Forest of Dean, but your relative (how are you related, BTW??) gets a very good performance out of him.

Another film you should ask about at the BFI is another favourite; Lady Audley's Secret. Again, a cracking melodramatic thriller that fairly rips along, and Manning is the male lead...though the film is Lady Audley's. It's been widely shown, including at the top silent film festival in Italy; it gets very good reactions everywhere it plays. I've seen it three or four times; it's a bit of a cult fave amongst those in the know.

You should be thinking about a day-trip to London. The BFI have little cupboard-sized rooms in Central London where you can watch these films - on 35mm - in your own time. it isn'tcheap, but it's probably the only way you'll get to see them unless you wait for them to be shown in a cinema...it could be years, and would then still be in London,....., unless your local artshouse can be persuaded to have a short season of silent British thrillers....?? I'd come to Plymouth for that....!!

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='penfold']

You should be thinking about a day-trip to London. The BFI have little cupboard-sized rooms in Central London where you can watch these films - on 35mm - in your own time. it isn'tcheap, but it's probably the only way you'll get to see them unless you wait for them to be shown in a cinema...it could be years, and would then still be in London,....., unless your local artshouse can be persuaded to have a short season of silent British thrillers....?? I'd come to Plymouth for that....!!

They may ship them out to a local centre if they have one near Plymouth - although it's probably Bristol so may be almost as easy to come to London.

I'm fairly certain they're only open Mon-Fri.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Fellwanderer']Jenny

This link to the BFI gives a list of his credits. If they have them, you would be able to arrange to book to see them. Worth emailing them with the list and asking which they actually hold.

BFI | Film & TV Database | HAYNES, Manning
    Thank you Fell for your help with this. It seems I can get to see Manning which is great news. Really appreciate your response. Jenny

Liked
    0 times
    name='penfold']I think The Ware Case may be the best-known of the films he directed, and you know what ?? I've seen it and it's a cracker!! The archetypical country-house murder mystery, it couldn't be more English if it tried. Great direction - the leading man, Stewart Rome, has the reputation of being as wooden as the Forest of Dean, but your relative (how are you related, BTW??) gets a very good performance out of him.

Another film you should ask about at the BFI is another favourite; Lady Audley's Secret. Again, a cracking melodramatic thriller that fairly rips along, and Manning is the male lead...though the film is Lady Audley's. It's been widely shown, including at the top silent film festival in Italy; it gets very good reactions everywhere it plays. I've seen it three or four times; it's a bit of a cult fave amongst those in the know.

Thank you Penfold for your invaluable response to my query. It appears that Manning's films are not quite all as bad as I was led to believe! It was great to hear about his films from someone who has actually seen them and your information was absolutely invaluable.

I feel that a visit to London is definitely on the cards at some point to view him in Lady Audley's Secret. I have a photo of him with his huge family including Mother and Father, but to see him on screen would be a real bonus.

Manning is in fact my 90 year old Mother's great Uncle - he was brother to her Grandfather Ebeneezer! She is enjoying hearing about his career but sadly she will not be able to see his efforts.

Kind regards. Jenny