Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Here's a very long shot. I saw this film in the 70's and never since, so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy.

It's a black & white French film (with subtitles I think) about an empty house not far from civilization. There is a local legend which says that anyone entering the house will never leave. A group of young people go there to show each other what a load of rubbish this is, but they too find excuses for not leaving. It's quite creepy, the way they each have a good explanation for why they 'don't facy leaving just yet.... all very low key.

Sorry, I can't remember who was in it or how it ends, but I would like to identify it.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Andy H']Here's a very long shot. I saw this film in the 70's and never since, so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy.

It's a black & white French film (with subtitles I think) about an empty house not far from civilization. There is a local legend which says that anyone entering the house will never leave. A group of young people go there to show each other what a load of rubbish this is, but they too find excuses for not leaving. It's quite creepy, the way they each have a good explanation for why they 'don't facy leaving just yet.... all very low key.

Sorry, I can't remember who was in it or how it ends, but I would like to identify it.

I'm probably barking up the wrong burglar, but it does sound a bit like Jean Rollin's Le Viol du vampire, which was in black and white, despite being a 1968 release.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that, Lord Brett. However, I've looked it up on IMdB and it doesn't quite fit the bill. Mind you, it's such a distant memory I might be totally wrong in my description.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, this is miles from your description, but in THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL a bunch of rich Mexicans at a dinner party find themselves unable to leave at the end of the evening. They all find excuses and it's only gradually that they realise they are unable to bring themselves to leave. And nobody else can get in.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    name='D Cairns']Well, this is miles from your description, but in THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL a bunch of rich Mexicans at a dinner party find themselves unable to leave at the end of the evening. They all find excuses and it's only gradually that they realise they are unable to bring themselves to leave. And nobody else can get in.

They were Spaniards. Bunuel returned to Spain to make the film and both Franco and the Pope banned it.

D.

Liked
    0 times
    This sounds like a possibility. Thanks D, I'll investigate further.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    No, they were Mexicans. VIRIDIANA is the film Bunuel made on a brief return to Spain, which was banned.