Thread: Brannigan!

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    What a film!

I never thought I'd see Dickie Attenborough punch out John Wayne.

BTW: whatever happened to Judy Geeson? Such a likeable girl.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Judy opened "Blanche," an antiques shop in Los Angeles, in 2007. She has now retired from acting.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Cheekily correcting...

Judy opened Blanche in 1999. As far as I know she isn't strictly retired from acting. She still does radio plays as part of LA Theatreworks and has always said she would jump at a good part but I think Blanche takes up most of her time these days.

If she came back to the UK I'm sure there'd be a part for her but in LA it's getting more and more unlikely. Shame.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I dug this out and watched it about a month ago. I like to give it a fairly regular airing.

The Duke, Judy Geeson, fabulous 70s London and an E Type Jag; what more could a bloke ask for?

"Knock Knock!!"

Liked
    1 times
    It's actually a really likeable film in many ways. Even though they take certain liberties with locations (What's Scotland Yard doing on top of St Thomas' Hospital, I want to know). Great cast, good performances.

Did anyone spot the little bloke on the courier scooter? Tony Robinson!

Liked
    137 times
    The fight scene in the pub was shot just round the corner from where I'm writing this : The Lamb in Leadenhall Market in the City .

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    one of my favourite john wayne films who can possibly forget the car chase that ends with a leap over the bascules on tower bridge and the scene where john wayne pushes tony robinson in to the river.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer
    john wayne pushes tony robinson in to the river.
    I've always wanted to do that!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    [quot='dpgmel']The fight scene in the pub was shot just round the corner from where I'm writing this : The Lamb in Leadenhall Market in the City .[/quote]

LOL!.....haven't seen the Movie for a while but I recall the fight scene, must dig it out, I think Del Henney was in it!

Deserted I know, but it was early on a Saturday morning!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Judy six years earlier on the set of 'Beserk', with the legendary Joan Crawford and Diana Dors, Joanie sure loved a Fag!.......

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    remember the scenes where hit man daniel pilon tries to assassinate john wayne on one occasion mistaking judy geeson for john wayne in the dark because she was wearing his hat and also an appearance by brian glover.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O

That Regis snack bar on the left is one of a dying breed of classic London snack bars. It's got a nice view of the Lloyds building just behind where the photographer was standing

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    I gotta stop reading these threads..........I just 'subliminally' ordered 'Brannigan' off the net...................

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    LOL I noticed that about St Thomas'. Presumably they made a few shekels by hiring out some offices (wards?). I have visions of patients two to a bed so Attenborough gets his office!

And how short sighted was the assassin that he shot someone who was a third of the size of Brannigan just because they were wearing a similar hat!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Was this the only film Wayne had made in Britain?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B
    Was this the only film Wayne had made in Britain?

Ta Ta

Marky B
    To the best of my knowledge yes. The interior shots for The Quiet Man were filmed in the states. The only other Wayne film made in europe was The Magnificent Showman.

To add to others comments about the film itself I think it is more watchable than the other Wayne Dirty Harry crib McQ. Wayne regretted turning Dirty Harry down and made the two cop films to try and make up lost ground. McQ plods badly like JW himself and Brannigan is at least tonque-in-cheek and fast paced and that saves it IMHO. Not a great or significant film but a daftly entertaining one with 70s overdirection.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by April Dancer
    LOL I noticed that about St Thomas'. Presumably they made a few shekels by hiring out some offices (wards?). I have visions of patients two to a bed so Attenborough gets his office!
    Dickie's office was in the communal day room on the top floor of St Thomas's. When they move outside it in one scene, you can see the double doors at the end of the ward. I fear the patients weren't just two to a bed to accomodate this. I think they were all crammed into the store room!