Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Another fascinating series from Ray,as he went around Northern Australia,meeting legendary Australian bushwhackers and aborigines with their own form of survival and art. Far superior to the showman Grilled Bear Nuts,or whatever he is called. Ray stands back for you to see the subject and he is a good listener to whoever he interviews. He always has been interesting on the subject of survival and living off the land in the wild. It has come in handy when I take my ham sandwiches when I go walking in the Lakes,Dales or Moors.

Sad to learn he has recently being widowed,losing his wife to breast cancer.

Looking forward to the next series!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    name='Marky B']Another fascinating series from Ray,as he went around Northern Australia,meeting legendary Australian bushwhackers and aborigines with their own form of survival and art. Marky B
    I'm so pleased to see he met with 'Bushtucker Man' Les Hiddins. For years I've had the video set of his exploits in the outback. They're a wealth on Knowledge and I once had chance to meet the great man.

Liked
    69 times
    name='earlb']I'm so pleased to see he met with 'Bushtucker Man' Les Hiddins. For years I've had the video set of his exploits in the outback. They're a wealth on Knowledge and I once had chance to meet the great man.

I bet that was interesting,Earl.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Marky B']Sad to learn he has recently being widowed,losing his wife to breast cancer.

I'm sorry to read this. Condolences to Mr. Mears.

Liked
    15 times
    name='Marky B']I bet that was interesting,Earl.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    His wealth of knowledge is remarkable. He was in the Australian Army and at one time his sole job was to educate the soldiers and catalogue the fauna and flora (? spelling) as to its survival possibilities. Having watched that programme I dug out my old videos of 'Bushtucker Man' and had a wonerful time re discovering the secrets of the outback.

Liked
    69 times
    I think I would only go in the outback if I had Ray and Les with me - otherwise,I don't I'd survive.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    15 times
    name='Marky B']I think I would only go in the outback if I had Ray and Les with me - otherwise,I don't I'd survive.

Marky B
    That's why his job was so important. It's amazing how many young Aussies have been educated because of his work- good on yer bruce

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='earlb']His wealth of knowledge is remarkable. He was in the Australian Army and at one time his sole job was to educate the soldiers and catalogue the fauna and flora (? spelling) as to its survival possibilities. Having watched that programme I dug out my old videos of 'Bushtucker Man' and had a wonerful time re discovering the secrets of the outback.

It's not just his remarkable knowledge and the way that he got survival information printed onto the backs of the maps of each area, but he's also a great presenter (as is Ray Mears). His enthusiasm for the subject comes through the screen beautifully, as does his respect for the indigenous people that taught him much of it. Good on yer Les

Steve

Liked
    69 times
    name='Steve Crook']It's not just his remarkable knowledge and the way that he got survival information printed onto the backs of the maps of each area, but he's also a great presenter (as is Ray Mears). His enthusiasm for the subject comes through the screen beautifully, as does his respect for the indigenous people that taught him much of it. Good on yer Les

Steve

Well said,Steve.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    A pity they didn't invite Ms Agutter for a real walkabout.

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Ray Mears - excellent. A man truly comfortable in his use of skills we are all in awe of. Even my 18 year-old daughter and her friends think he's cool. But - I can't get Jack Dee's depiction of him out of my mind since I heard it. A circle of disconsolate natives in a jungle clearing watching silently as, sat on the ground at their centre, a portly Ray munches his way through everything edible for twenty miles. But seriously, he's a legend on Escape and Evasion courses in the British Army. And he never raises his voice You either listen and learn, or go hungry.

Regards,

HG

Liked
    69 times
    name='homeguard']Ray Mears - excellent. A man truly comfortable in his use of skills we are all in awe of. Even my 18 year-old daughter and her friends think he's cool. But - I can't get Jack Dee's depiction of him out of my mind since I heard it. A circle of disconsolate natives in a jungle clearing watching silently as, sat on the ground at their centre, a portly Ray munches his way through everything edible for twenty miles. But seriously, he's a legend on Escape and Evasion courses in the British Army. And he never raises his voice You either listen and learn, or go hungry.

Regards,

HG

It would be good idea for the BBC to bring back the programme that first introduced us to Ray,Tracks. As more people are taking up outdoor activities,we could do with a magazine programme on the subject.

Ta Ta

marky B

Liked
    418 times
    name='Marky B']It would be good idea for the BBC to bring back the programme that first introduced us to Ray,Tracks. As more people are taking up outdoor activities,we could do with a magazine programme on the subject.

Ta Ta

marky B

There's always Countryfile on Sunday mornings on BBC1 (usually).

You even get the bonus of Michaela Strachan as a regular presenter

Well worth getting up early for (or staying up late, or recording)

Steve

Liked
    69 times
    name='Steve Crook']There's always Countryfile on Sunday mornings on BBC1 (usually).

You even get the bonus of Michaela Strachan as a regular presenter

Well worth getting up early for (or staying up late, or recording)

Steve

I sometimes watch it when I am at work. I liked the article about birdsong last Sunday with Michaela. I also get the magazine!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    418 times
    name='Marky B']I sometimes watch it when I am at work. I liked the article about birdsong last Sunday with Michaela. I also get the magazine!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Michaela's always good on there. I remember seeing one of her first appearances on TV. That was a piece to camera with some animals cavorting around her. One of them jumped on her back but she kept cool and finished the piece perfectly. I knew than that she'd go far, especially when working with animals.

Countryfile is a nice mix of some serious country concerns and a few things for a day out. Often with Ben Fogle making a fool of himself eating nettles or tossing quoits

Steve

Liked
    69 times
    The magazine is worth getting!

Ta ta

Marky B