Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Watched this Britmovie on T.V. yesterday and I am astounded that I have not seen this piece of greatness before! I found myself chuckling and giggleing all the way through. Peter Sellars was superb, of course, as Pearly Gates, a big hearted villain who gave his mob luncheon vouchers! Bernnard Cribbins nearly stole the show as Nervous O'Toole, boss of another gang of crooks. But what really got me was the plethora of familiar faces in the film. Picking out the stars in the Extra Ordinary General Meeting of the London underworld was a pleasure! Lionel Jeffries as Nosey Parker was great. Seeing the police marching around Battersea fun fair formed up in ranks was great.

It was only when I saw who wrote it that I realised why it was so good.

This Britmovie has gone to second in my favourite film list.

Liked
    0 times
    hello bob. how you missed this gem for so long is a shame but you finally got there, the wrong van scene is one of the funniest written and the characters as you say are superb.

One of the best.

lenny

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Have you seen its 'companion piece' , Two Way Stretch ?

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob M.
    But what really got me was the plethora of familiar faces in the film. Picking out the stars in the Extra Ordinary General Meeting of the London underworld was a pleasure!
    Including Dennis Price who isn't credited.

Liked
    0 times
    Brilliant film, very funny and an excellent cast of great character actors!

Liked
    0 times
    Wonderful film!! British film making at its best!

Question: did TWO WAY STRETCH inspire Ronnie Barker's PORRIDGE series??

Liked
    0 times
    One of my favourite films - Peter Sellers and Lionel Jeffreys in top form, although Davy Kaye steals the scenes he is in for me. Lot's of good supporting performances too - even John Le Mesurier. Arthur Mullard, in his bit role, does extremely well for him, not a slice of ham in sight!

There even a nice little car chase with the Aston Martin getaway car jumping - brilliantly - a humped-back bridge. Some shots are on location in the Uxbridge area (?), and I think a corner property in BBCtv's current Homes under the Hammer series, was the very same that Peter, Lionel and the ace safe-cracker parked outside of, before 'ambushing' the security van - eventually - in the second half.

Anyone spot a very nice blooper in the film?

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RAREFILMFINDER
    hello bob. how you missed this gem for so long is a shame but you finally got there, the wrong van scene is one of the funniest written and the characters as you say are superb.

One of the best.

lenny

"Stop - you're pulling my vire!"

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NappieB
    Question: did TWO WAY STRETCH inspire Ronnie Barker's PORRIDGE series??
    I've mentioned this elsewhere in one of these forums - as far as I'm concerned, beyond a shadow of doubt!

The striking resemblance between characterisations is far to close to be coincidental

Lane (Sellers) and Fletcher (Barker)

Price (Cribbins) and Godber (Beckinsale)

Crout (Jeffries) ans McKay (McKay)

Jenkins (Woodbridge) and Barrowclough (Wilde)

The Governor (Denham) and Venables (Barrington)

Too many similarities.

Liked
    7 times
    It might have several. They didn't use video assist playback in those days so any shooting errors that weren't picked up by camera operator, sound recordist, continuity girl etc. weren't apparent until the rushes were viewed. By then it was unlikely that they would go to the expense of a reshoot, budgets being very tight on most British films, unless the error was particularly bad. To save us the effort (albeit a pleasurable one) of running the film, tell us what the blooper is.

Cheers

Liked
    0 times
    I agree, but someone should have spotted this. I remember seeing it the first time I saw the film, as a kid, and couldn't believe no-one spotted it, pre-editing. It is bad - but a goodie!

When one of the police cars stops to take a call - towards the end of the film, and pulls over to the kerb, the reflection from the open quarter-light - passenger side - shows a chap in glasses looking as if he is peering into the car. He is there for quite a long while. I can only assume he is a technician. Someone might even be able to id him. I only have the video, not the DVD (yet), so cannot post an image.

It is beautifully framed!

(and quite a gem, IMHO)

Liked
    7 times
    Chances are it was spotted when viewing rushes but they reckoned to get away with it. Reflective surfaces like windows and car panels often show glimpses of the crew and/or equipment - it's always going to be an issue if you shoot square on and is usually avoidable with care. I must admit I don't recall this one and must look out for it on my next viewing.

Liked
    0 times
    Yep, I understand. Dad used to be in the Radio and TV business.

Anyway, enjoy! I always do when I see it. He's even in focus!

Liked
    151 times
    This was probably Sellers final 'little' film and over the years I've come to appreciate it more, and now it is probably amongst my favourites. Sellers has created better comic characters previously but with a sharp script and good support from Bernard Cribbins and especially Lionel Jeffries - this works a treat. A shame the efforts to internationalise Sellers would lead to much of the remainder of his output being bloated unfunny flops.

Liked
    0 times
    Apart from Being There, I have to agree. Funny as some of the Pink Panther films were, they were not as well crafted or observed as his earlier stuff, IMHO, but they are different sorts of humour.