Liked
    0 times
    Definitely my favourite at the moment, Ken Stott is amazing - as always, a very powerful film.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I was watching The Debt Collector this evening and, of course, it's hard to go past the always fabulous Ken Stott, Billy Connolly and the beautiful Francesca Annis for such outstanding performances.

However, I finally realised tonight there is a fourth actor in the mix who is worthy of note. Iain Robertson who plays the spotty, repellent Flipper is an absolute standout (in a greasy, disgusting sort of way). I've seen the film a couple of times before, and should have realised this sooner, it's just that his character is so skin-crawlingly awful - a spitting, snivelling, vile, imitation hard-case - that your brain sort of shuts him out.

Great film - and I love how the make-up department give Ken Stott a Richie Blackmore wig for his 'younger' scene.

Liked
    0 times
    I saw it at the cinema - on a triple bill with "Onegin" and "The War Zone" (a depressing programme) - and liked it a lot. Didn't Connolly disown it at the time, due to the controversy it caused?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    not a bad movie, was given out as a freebie in a newspaper some time back

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    I've seen it a couple of times on TV. Connolly is a pretty good actor when he is not doing stand up comedy, I guess you know the film is loosely based on a real character, Jimmy Boyle,a notorious Glasgow money lender and enforcer infamous for his use of extreme violence circa 1960s who terrorized the socially deprived communities of the Glasgow slums. He ended up in prison for a very long time, became an artist and sculptor while doing his time and is now living in Edinburgh mixing with the hoy poloy of the Edinburgh art world and I think is married to his former psychotherapist. The film neatly explores the idea that there are a few people from his past that would like to catch up with him, possibly true in Jimmy Boyle's case, he did a lot of physical harm to quite a few people and has wisely chosen to live in Edinburgh lest he bump into any of his old "pals" in Glasgow.