Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    While not one of my favourites, I have to admire this film for its sheer audacity and whackiness. Father is building a replica of the Old Bailey in his front room, his son steals 'I speak your weight' machines and teaches them to sing together and the daughter is convinced she has arms like an ape. And then there's Peggy Mount, who calls in to eat the family's spare food, at a modest charge.

I've had this film on VHS since I taped it off the telly about 25 years ago. It's now safely on DVD.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    This film is on that most prominent "can't find anywhere" list of mine! Have checked it out on IMDB and the cast alone sounds great!

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    While not one of my favourites, I have to admire this film for its sheer audacity and whackiness. Father is building a replica of the Old Bailey in his front room, his son steals 'I speak your weight' machines and teaches them to sing together and the daughter is convinced she has arms like an ape. And then there's Peggy Mount, who calls in to eat the family's spare food, at a modest charge.

I've had this film on VHS since I taped it off the telly about 25 years ago. It's now safely on DVD.

Agreed I watched this one recently, what a very odd film indeed At least it was different however I'm still not sure whether I enjoyed it or not!

Liked
    2 times
    I understand it got a rare viewing in London, perhaps earlier this year, but I was unable to get to it

Senior Member Country: Scotland lostintown's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I love the film for its very matter-of-fact approach to the weirdness; singing speak your weight machines; a man who is so obsessed with Pavlov that he can't collapse unconscious until he hears the sound of a bell and a woman being paid to come into the house to eat any excess food.

All acted completely po faced... genius.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Saw this on TV in the 80's and it definitely sticks in the mind, I remember the daughter complaining that her arms were too long and she looked like a gorilla.

Liked
    4 times
    In the 1970s I worked at the Everyman Cinema in Hampstead and distinctly remember that One-Way Pendulum held the record for the worst attendance in the history of the cinema, and empty houses were something of a speciality of ours. On the Saturday night I don't think there were more than 10 people and a dog. I think F&F gave it three stars.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    If a film like this can't find an audience in Hampstead, what chance does it have in Wolverhampton..........

Liked
    0 times
    Hi, does anyone know anything about a film version of One Way Pendulum, with Eric Sykes? My daughter has recently been in the play on stage and I found info about the film version on IMDB, but the production company and film itself seem to have vanished without trace, surprisingly. I thought you could get hold of more or less any film ever made these days! Who would hold master prints of such a film?

GF

Senior Member Country: Ireland fluddite's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Dunno who's got the rights, negatives etc.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I love this film. Peggy Mount plays Mrs Gantry, a character paid by the family to eat up any surplus food at the end of the week. Anyone in our house who asks for seconds immediately gets a shout of `Mrs Gantry!' If you still looking for a copy send me a PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain CALF28's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this film at the cinema when I was living in Twickenham and I noticed that some of the street scenes were local, so it could be aTwickenham Studios production, not that this will help much. I also remember the scene where the speak your weight machines are being rehearsed that the rogue machine's voice was that of Tommy Bruce. He had a couple of songs in the hit parade at that time. Was it '14 stone 10 pounds' he shouted out?