Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    The final tower scene where Burton's spitting Henry is confronting Bujold's fiesty Anne Boleyn is a screen classic!

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BJSmegma View Post
    The final tower scene where Burton's spitting Henry is confronting Bujold's fiesty Anne Boleyn is a screen classic!
    Yes, it's very well done. Richard Burton plays Henry with very little vitality. I am not only thinking of Charles Laughton, but also Robert Shaw in a small role in A Man for All Seasons and Keith Michell in The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

It is an unusual approach but it is very effective in many scenes, including that final scene.

Member Country: United States Jennythenipper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I just rewatched this movie last week. I thought Genevieve Bujold was really great. She had a fiesty strength that was really appealing and played nicely with Burton. I watched it for Anthony Quayle and was really impressed with his performance. He was playing a much older man than he really was at the time (he made this the same year as Strange Report, here he plays a man so ill he can't stand up, what a contrast). They managed to hide his youthful vigor under a massive pile of draped fabric, the result is that he looks quite stooped and frail. His character is not exactly likeable, but becomes more sympathetic as Henry goes off the rails. He is increasingly the voice of reason.
    Some of historical inaccuracies I spotted: there is no reason to believe that Anne came back from France with worldly knowledge about sex. That is pure British chauvanism, to assume the French court of the time was any more of a hot bed of illicit sex than the British court. There is plenty of evidence to the contrary actually. The confrontation in the tower between Henry and Anne is pure fiction. Anne was never ever allowed to confront Henry or even see him after she was arrested. The arrest came out of the blue. She had no idea she was being taken to the tower as anything other than a security precaution which makes several of the scenes inaccurate in that she is aware she is being arrested. There is also no evidence to support the idea that Henry wanted to get rid of Anne and that's why he had the charges manufactured as in in the film. In fact since the charges questioned his precious masculinity, it's likely that he would have gone out of his way to deny them as long as possible. Henry was still, publicly at least, very supportive of Anne. He was still pursuing approval from various European courts to recognize Anne as his queen right up until the arrest. So a lot of this is dramatic license.
    Finally I really that I've been saying the title of this film wrong for years. It's Anne of THE Thousand Days, not Anne of A Thousand Days...

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    For those of us in UK, BBC Television's "Wolf Hall" drama series is covering this very topic in this week's broadcast.

Member Country: United States Jennythenipper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    For those of us in UK, BBC Television's "Wolf Hall" drama series is covering this very topic in this week's broadcast.
    I've been curious about Wolf Hall. Hope they do the subject matter more justice than The Tudors....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12