Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi

does anyone have any episodes of this sixties bbc series starring Stelio Candelli as Danny Scipio?

i can trade or offer a price.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Wasn't that the series about the mafia? I remember watching them all but like so many other programmes never thought to record anything. I don't think VCRs were all that common at that time? I remember my first onr a JVC cost �750 and E180's were �15 each if you could get them. Changed days.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    It was a favourite in our house. I have never seen any since then or heard of any in circulation.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I think this was a BBC production and one wonders whetherany episodes have actually survived or perhaps all wiped?

Liked
    0 times
    from what research i've done, it 8 episodes of about 30 survive. as well as (possibly) some location filming. clips from it were shown in a documentary, called 'the alchemists of sound' about then BBC's Radiophonic Workshop.

Glad to here people remember this!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Certainly do remeber it, Jonathan! It's one of those 60's programmes that we lump together with The Plane Makers and The Power Game. It rarely gets a clip shown now, so I suspect there's very little of it left. There's no mention of it in Missing believed Wiped.

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='jonathanecoley']from what research i've done, it 8 episodes of about 30 survive. as well as (possibly) some location filming. clips from it were shown in a documentary, called 'the alchemists of sound' about then BBC's Radiophonic Workshop.

Glad to here people remember this!

They showed the opening credits from an episode a few years ago during a BBC Omnibus special on John Barry (who wrote the theme music).

Senior Member Country: England paul kersey's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    Four years on! http://youtu.be/irvY8PAuueQ
    Can anyone tell me anything about this series ?. All I know is that it has one of my favourite theme tunes ever and despite googling Vendetta / Danny Scipio, there seems to be little info about it apart from a very thin ImdB entry for it and its star Stelio Candelli.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paul kersey View Post
    Can anyone tell me anything about this series ?. All I know is that it has one of my favourite theme tunes ever and despite googling Vendetta / Danny Scipio, there seems to be little info about it apart from a very thin ImdB entry for it and its star Stelio Candelli.
    I have got a lot of 1960's issues of Radio Times on discs (which i obtained on ebay), they might contain some interesting information about Vendetta, the series was shown from 1966-1968, and i have got a lot of Radio Times issues from that period on discs.

Liked
    30 times
    Thanks Billy, A picture of Stelio Candelli would be interesting. Apart from the theme, I can't bring anything to mind about the show apart from the fact that my Mum had a thing about Stelio Candelli. I understand that he was not always the leading man and that Neil MacCallum played a large part in the show?. Is this another show that no longer exists in any form? It would be interesting to see one episode, if only to judge why my Mum liked it so much !

Liked
    308 times
    The front cover of the October 29th - November 4th 1966 issue of Radio Times featuring Stelio Candelli (star of the new Adventure series Vendetta) as Danny Scipio.

Liked
    308 times
    A very interesting article about the new Adventure series Vendetta, from page 53 of the October 29th - November 4th 1966 issue of Radio Times (same issue as previous post on this Thread).

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paul kersey View Post
    Did you get the right Vendetta on IMDB as there are plenty of them?- I thought the entry was pretty good for something that has not been seen since 1969
    http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0159927/

I think what killed it off in future years was the fact that as a film series made in glorious sunny locations,the BBC had rather shortsightedly made it in B/W..just as they had done with the Forsyte Saga.
    .and of course when they could not sell it anymore they seemed to have dumped most of it in the bin?

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    My recollection of the circumstances surrounding its cancellation is that Stelio Candelli's grasp of English was not very good and Neil McCallum had to take over as the lead for numerous episodes, which ultimately led the BBC to decide to kill off the series. This may apocryphal, but it is certainly the story that circulated at the time.

Liked
    30 times
    Many thanks for the answers gentlemen !. What a shame that nothing seems to survive of this series, but then we have heard it that fact on so many other occasions. I wonder if all programmes are kept these days ?

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    My recollection of the circumstances surrounding its cancellation is that Stelio Candelli's grasp of English was not very good and Neil McCallum had to take over as the lead for numerous episodes, which ultimately led the BBC to decide to kill off the series. This may apocryphal, but it is certainly the story that circulated at the time.
    The 'grasp of English' story I thought was accredited to The Sentimental Agent series where the hero was not even in the last episodes, and the lead that took over did not make much of an impact so that was canceled very early on.
    Vendetta actually had a very healthy 3 series run of 39 hour slot episodes IIRC
    Last edited by Arfur Teacake; 20-07-12 at 03:48 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Try this link to Lost Shows, some episodes do survive! http://www.lostshows.com/default.asp...5-4b4d727001d8

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    VENDETTA was an excellent TV series, with hard-hitting plots. The language problem with Stelio Candelli was that he couldn't speak English at all and had to learn his lines phonetically. I interviewed the series' creator Tudor Gates at a film festival, and he seemed delighted that I remembered it. I seem to recall that although MacCallum came in later in the series, there was a shock exit when he was machine-gunned on a beach by the Mafia and paralysed from the waist down. This at the time was just as shocking as Robert Powell's exit from DOOMWATCH (blown up by a bomb on a pier). Fabulous main title theme by John Barry.

Stephen Laws
    www.stephenlaws.com

Liked
    0 times
    The five existing episodes would make a nice DVD release.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I have tried to interest SImply media - the company who release Dr. Finlay's Casebook in releasing Vendetta. Perhaps if more people write in.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast