Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    This is not exactly a classic or one of my favorites, but I will list it here because I would say it is under-rated and worth seeing.

John Gielgud starts out as a rather dull Disraeli, but he becomes increasingly convincing as the film progresses; the purchase of the Suez canal and the meeting with the Kaiser at the 1878 conference in Berlin are very well written and acted.

There is some historical interest as well - the 1878 meeting between a shrewd and cunning, but principled, Prime Minister and the ruler of Germany is clearly played as an earlier, less urgent version of the Churchill-Hitler confrontation at the time of the film's release.

One thing that was fascinating for me was the reverence for Queen Victoria, who is treated and referred to in terms of a deity.

It is unusual for a historical film to bother showing the specific historical details that are included here, and they are clear and specific. I didn't like the 1930 George Arliss film Disraeli, but this one is worth seeing.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    A couple of Disraeli related points, Tim.

Have you seen "The Mudlark" with Alec Guinness' convincing portarit of the great man? Well worth catching, if not.

See The Mudlark (1950)

Also, recently I went to see Disraeli's country house, Hughenden Manor, near High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire, about 20 miles from London

National Trust | Hughenden Manor

A really fascinating place (though a rather ugly house!) with many momentoes of him. One that made me smile was a reflection of his rivalry with WE Gladstone, a piece of doggerel allegedly penned by Disraeli:

"If Gladstone fell into the Thames, that would be a misfortune; and if anybody pulled him out, that, I suppose, would be a calamity"

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Compton
    A couple of Disraeli related points, Tim.

Have you seen "The Mudlark" with Alec Guinness' convincing portarit of the great man? Well worth catching, if not.

See The Mudlark (1950)
    Yes. That was one of my first British films as a boy. It is shown here often. Guinness is very convincing - he captures the humor and the shrewdness as well as the intelligence.

Also, recently I went to see Disraeli's country house, Hughenden Manor, near High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire, about 20 miles from London

National Trust | Hughenden Manor

A really fascinating place (though a rather ugly house!) with many momentoes of him. One that made me smile was a reflection of his rivalry with WE Gladstone, a piece of doggerel allegedly penned by Disraeli:

"If Gladstone fell into the Thames, that would be a misfortune; and if anybody pulled him out, that, I suppose, would be a calamity"

I think the rivalry between Gladstone and Disraeli is one of the most interesting stories of the Victorian era - including their very different ways of treating, and addressing, Her Majesty.

A trip to Disraeli's house would be fascinating.

I would have like to have seen David Lean treat this topic on an epic scale, perhaps with Guinness as Disraeli again and maybe Ralph Richardson as Gladstone - and then Dortothy Tutin as Queen Victoria? There would be enough material for two films: Disraeli crowning Victoria Empress of India, and Gladstone's respnse. Gladstone's response to General Gordon's quest, and Victoria's response to Gladstone, before and after!

I can imagine their scenes together, with a polished screenplay by Robert Bolt.