Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I just watched Chase a Crooked Shadow with Anne Baxter and the fabulous Richard Todd.

What a film!

For something that was done on (what appeared to be) a shoestring budget, it was a cracker!

I especially liked the car scene where Toddy whips along the road at high speed.

And I adore Anne Baxter. She's a great choice for this film because she's not an obviously Amercian actress playing a British role. She blends in beautifully while adding that hint of glamour.

Brilliant!

Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Lady
    I just watched Chase a Crooked Shadow with Anne Baxter and the fabulous Richard Todd.

What a film!
    Agree 100%

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I was looking for some information on 'The Silken Affair" today.

This lead me to the production company "Dragon Films". The only other film listed in the Kine database for 'Dragon Films" is "The Prescott Affair" whish is soon listed as an "Associated Dragon" production.

It looks like "Sleep No More" becomes the name of the production until 25/7/57 when the title is chaged to "Chase a Crooked Shadow".

Over this period Douglas Fairbank Jnr's name appears and Fred Feldkamp resigns.

It looks like something interesting was happening at "Dragon Films" - which may mean "The Silken Affair" may have dropped through the cracks - anyone know more?

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    One of my favourite films, it's a very clever thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout.

At a time when there are so many re makes, I'm amazed no one has thought of this.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton Park View Post
    One of my favourite films, it's a very clever thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout.

At a time when there are so many re makes, I'm amazed no one has thought of this.
    They have unofficially remade it.

Three American TV movies use the set-up with the same ending. In the 1960s it starred Janet Leigh and it was a husband instead of a brother who shows up. !970s it was the wife that shows up in One of My Wives Is Missing. A decade later Wives was remade as Vanishing Act.

Here is an excerpt from the Janet Leigh version. It is brief, but anyone who has seen Chase a Crooked Shadow can see it is the same story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-7BOKuKyw

I never saw that one. One Of My Wives is Missing is much better known and the complete movie is on youtube.
    Last edited by will.15; 16-05-14 at 06:58 AM.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Footage of the premiere Of "Chase A Crooked Shadow" (1958)

http://youtu.be/xfbDIgMSlGQ

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    From my film poster collection here is the 1958 UK quad poster for Chase a Crooked Shadow

Chase a Crooked Shadow_Quad Poster_1958.jpg

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Great quad, Joe. I went to see the film at my local ABC in March, 1958, over 56 years ago and, although I've been looking on eBay since I joined the auction site 12 and half years ago, not one still from the Front-of-House set for it has ever turned up on there. Some stills are really hard to get and others are much easier to get.

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Cinemas would have wanted to advertise the films being shown via trade adverts, front-of-house lobby cards and posters. Considering how many cinemas were around up and down the country during the 1950's and 1960's I am surprised that more copies of film memorabilia don't exist.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fraguela View Post
    Cinemas would have wanted to advertise the films being shown via trade adverts, front-of-house lobby cards and posters. Considering how many cinemas were around up and down the country during the 1950's and 1960's I am surprised that more copies of film memorabilia don't exist.
    Or would each cinema have passed the promotional material on to the next cinema in the circuit?
    Certainly back in the 1950s and before then, promotional material was regarded as ephemera and wasn't collected much

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    Another Front-of-House set that has never turned up on eBay is The Battle of the River Plate...not even one still...although the occasional black and white press still from it has turned up from time to time. Also, all these British press stills you've seen me upload on here from The Fallen Idol and Sammy Going South for instance have all been obtained from dealers in America. What they're doing over there when you should be able to get them in this country is a mystery.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Or would each cinema have passed the promotional material on to the next cinema in the circuit?
    Certainly back in the 1950s and before then, promotional material was regarded as ephemera and wasn't collected much

Steve
    As I recall, Steve, the quad posters and Front-of-House sets were printed in large numbers because there were many cinemas up and down the country showing the same film at the same time. But when the NSS went bust, an awful lot of material, including 35mm trailers, appear to have been junked.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    As I recall, Steve, the quad posters and Front-of-House sets were printed in large numbers because there were many cinemas up and down the country showing the same film at the same time.
    When was that? When was the idea of a circuit dropped when a film would be shown at one cinema one week and another cinema the next week?

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    I know that in the mid-1950s, there were still some 4,500 cinemas in the UK, with ABC and Rank having hundreds each. They, along with the third circuit, Essoldo, were the first run cinemas where all the new releases were shown first. Then came the second and third run independently run cinemas. They could only run a film after the ABCs; Odeons; Gaumonts and Essoldo's had finished with them, which would often be at least two or three months. So still plenty of work for the National Screen Service in supplying advertising material for thousands of cinemas up and down the country on a weekly basis. Then there were the hundreds of small companies that delivered films and posters three times per week to the cinemas in their area. In Stoke-on-Trent, for instance, The Potteries Transport and Cinema Supply Company at one time had a fleet of eight Thames Trader lorries collecting and delivering films to a total of 68 cinemas in the Stoke-on-Trent area. It was a huge, nationwide business. But by the late 1960s, when cinemas all over the country had been rapidly closing in droves, things began to change drastically and by the early 1970s, it had all started to fall apart. When it did start to go, it went down very rapidly and whereas ten years before, a large fleet of lorries had been delivering films in each area, this was replaced by one transit van run by the Film Transport Service, now delivering to an ever diminishing number of cinemas in each area. So advertising material in the 1970s would have been produced in far, far smaller numbers than had been the case only twenty years previously.