Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Sunday night.

A childhood memory of that oft-dread of monday morning and school comes most vividly back to me through one film - when I watch Billy Wilder's lush and sometimes daft take on the famous detective. Daft, but I love this film...

...and I was reminded of it today in the most appropriate way - my (nearly) 3 year old has developed a taste for Scooby Doo, and today she viewed the latest animation, SD and the Loch Ness Monster.

Of course, Wilder's film has as its showpiece the famous Scottish beast, but the plot of a crazy German plan to invade Victorian England via technology using the monster is worthy of any Scooby Doo mystery, don't you think?.

Hence the reminder...

BBC1 screened the Wilder film one 1970s sunday evening when I particularly wanted the next-day world of lessons to go away, a recollection which comes back very strongly, especially when I hear the film's upbeat music in the opening credits; and its (nearly) final sequence, shot to the beautifully haunting Miklos Rozsa theme, heard most memorably to Genevieve Page's umbrella morse code message - it takes this 41 year old right back to being hardly into double figures....

Anyhow, after all this rambling I do have a question. Well, two.

The film famously was to be over three hours in length, and much of the missing filmed material remains unseen - a recent DVD release only showed a little of what was cut, which is believed to well over an hour of the footage Wilder wanted to be in the theatrical release. Has this footage definately been lost for good, or is there a chance, perhaps in Wilder's estate, that the complete film exists?

Secondly, the score. I saw Rozka's haunting theme on a film music of Sherlock Holmes CD once but failed to buy it - I wasn't keen on all the extra Basil Rathbone tunes - did 'The Private Life..' score ever get released? Does any one have a copy if so, or could someone tape it for me (on dear old cassette please would do!)...right, I'm off to see it on VT and dream of dreading the maths lesson in the morning!

Liked
    151 times
    It was originally intended that 4 separate manuscripts are retrieved from the trunk at the beginning, and each showing a different aspect to Holmes' character. (narrated by Blakely). I'd have thought if they knew the whereabouts of the missing hour and a half it would have arisen in a SE DVD (given their popularity), but I've not heard of a fully restored version yet.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Apparently the two 'missing' stories feature Holmes as a young man (in college?) and one where Watson takes on a case with disastrous results. I remember seeing stills from these stories in a magazine article years ago (in the long defunct 'Movie Collector') about the making of the film. I remember it stating that although a lot of missing footage still exists it had no soundtrack (either never recorded or lost) and with Stephens and Blakely sadly no longer with us this is an obstacle to a DVD release.

Liked
    9 times
    Cheers for this response Glyn. It really is a most intriguing thought that one it may be possible to view the entire work, albeit without a commentary...

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    The lost footage is lost, but it may turn up. The DVD is well worth getting meanwhile, as it has silent footage and soundtrack/stills/script reconstructions which give a great idea of the missing material.

I have a vinyl record of Rosza music which includes a suite based on the PLOSH score, if you'd be interested. Email me if you'd like a copy cheap.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The American laserdisc release had an isolated score track - that's the closest there seems to have been to a full soundtrack release.

There was a BBC Radio (4?) documentary on this film some years back, narrated by Robert Stephens. I recall talk of an elaborate regatta sequence which was said to be totally lost.

Liked
    0 times
    D Cairns:

The lost footage is lost, but it may turn up. The DVD is well worth getting meanwhile, as it has silent footage and soundtrack/stills/script reconstructions which give a great idea of the missing material.

I have a vinyl record of Rosza music which includes a suite based on the PLOSH score, if you'd be interested. Email me if you'd like a copy cheap.
    Is there any chance of the disc label and number please????

thumbs_u

gjcannon
    'Victorian England'. So why were they in Scotland then?

Liked
    9 times
    Finally got hold of the soundtrack to the film by post yesterday - and what a brilliant score it is! Played the 64 minutes worth over and over, after receiving a CD (COPY OF THE ALBUM) from Spain. I paid £33, a hefty sum, well worth it but no one tell my better half!!!!! I bought it from a well known www. auction house...if any one else wants to use this service for a personal copy I can e-mail the espana address of the seller - though if any one wants a free cassette copy of it, drop me a line, cos it's excellent.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I just watched this again this week.

Great script, music, acting, directing and locations. Perfect.

Robert Stephens is excellent. Colin Blakely is, as always, superb. Christopher Lee steals the show in his only 2 scenes. The rest of the cast is great too.

Anybody know which station was used for Inverness Station?

Definitely my glass of tea!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletchy
    I

Anybody know which station was used for Inverness Station?

According to IMDB it was Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, West Yorkshire.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    "Looking for a magazine to while away the two-hour train journey, I glimpse, incredibly, exactly the image which arrested my attention in Cornwall more than 20 years ago: the familiar outline of Holmes's deerstalker framing the image of a half-naked woman. But what magazine would conceivably want to put this picture on its cover?

A doomed magazine, certainly. Its name is Movie Collector, and it is fated only to last for a handful of issues. It caters to a small audience of fanatics, fetishists, obsessives: people like myself, in short"

Ah Movie Collector... What a fabulous magazine.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a perfectly lovely film. Have there been any films in recent times that could be described as 'perfectly lovely'?

Anyway, it's a Billy Wilder film, so - leaving aside one or two little misfires that decorum prevents us from mentioning - what else could one expect?

And yes ... I remember Movie Collector, in fact I used to have them all ... countless typos and all! And I remember the nice piece on Private Life as well ...

Yes, a perfectly lovely film!

Liked
    137 times
    Have to agree with the above comments regards " Private Lives of Sherlock Holmes " a really lovely piece of fim making. Remeber going to see it when it first came out at the Camberwell Odeon !

Excellent central performance form Robert Stephens.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Fletchy

Many years ago I stayed at Lewiston near Urquhart Castle and the film used the exteriors of the castle. The property owner told me the problems Billy Wilder had in getting the horses down the slope to the castle from the A82 which runs past overlooking the loch at this point. A handsome film in it's locations, photography, acting-will the "missing" section ever be shown I wonder!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    The current DVD release contains much of the missing footage and much of the missing soundtrack, though sometimes not from the same scenes. It is absolutely fascinating to see and gain a sense of the movie that Wilder originally envisaged. This remains one of my all-time favourite movies - I saw it again a few months ago and felt - as always - emotionally wrecked by the end. It is simply sublime. There is also a new soundtrack available with all of Rozsa's bliss-out score - CD No. TADLOW004.

About that railway station that purports to be Inverness and where the dwarves walk across the bridge - I have studied Google Earth maps and am convinced it's not on that Yorkshire line. None of the stations on that line look remotely like the one in the movie.

Liked
    0 times
    I've loved this film from the first time i saw it but one thing has always unreasonably bothered me....i don't read Morse and wondered how accurate the parasol message is!

Senior Member Country: Scotland steereomono's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    A friend who grew up in the area said that Dingwall Station was used (about 14 miles north of Inverness) I haven't seen the film myself, but maybe these pictures help.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...ngwall-sta.jpg

Liked
    0 times
    I am a collector of photos from Sherlock Holmes movies, including The Private Life. If anyone is selling movie stills or lobby cards from Sherlock Holmes movies please contact me. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast