Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Are Channel 4 ever going to show The Deal again? The political docuplay about the famous meeting between Tony Blair and Gordon Brown before it was agreed who was going to be put forward as the leadership candidate in the Labour Party elections following the death of John Smith. Neil Morrissey and Michael Sheen were incredible. On a separate issue, Michael Sheen clearly is amazing at mimicing celebrities. Saw him live in Frost Nixon and can't wait for the film version to be released. And another go at Blair in The Queen. What a talent! Does anyone have a copy of The Deal?

Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone got a copy of The Deal, the political play about the famous meeting between the two well known heroes of New Labour? Channel 4 seem to have given up repeating it. I think it's only been on twice.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    It's available on DVD - a great drama by the same team that gave you The Queen. The portrait of Brown is deeply disturbing.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Glenn Ford']Neil Morrissey and Michael Sheen were incredible.

Do you mean David Morrissey?

David Morrissey (I)

Liked
    0 times
    You are absolutely right - it's David Morrissey. How silly of me. Thanks for pointing it out. Have you ever seen this TV play on DVD? I didn't think it was available to buy. Glenn

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    That's alright.

No I haven't seen this play available on DVD either. All I've found was this link from Channel 4.

channel4.com - E4 - The Deal

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deal-Paul-Rhys/dp/B0014MY1H6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1215957677&sr=1-1"]The Deal[/ame]

Liked
    69 times
    I wonder how different things would have been if Brown told Bliar to shove "The Deal" where the sun don't shine.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Was there any possibility that Brown could have won the leadership contest? There's no actual proof that the deal ever happened and that Brown didn't back down because he knew he couldn't win.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Was there any possibility that Brown could have won the leadership contest? There's no actual proof that the deal ever happened and that Brown didn't back down because he knew he couldn't win.

But the newspapers have reported it as fact, so it must be true

Steve

Liked
    69 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Was there any possibility that Brown could have won the leadership contest? There's no actual proof that the deal ever happened and that Brown didn't back down because he knew he couldn't win.

Even so,would we have got the Bliar/Brown ticket if Brown did go against Bliar and lost.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    418 times
    name='Marky B']Even so,would we have got the Bliar/Brown ticket if Brown did go against Bliar and lost.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Quite possibly. There are many cases where the winner of a political party election will then take their opponent on board - sometimes just to "keep your enemies close", sometimes to get whatever support they did have and sometimes because they're just the best person for the job

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    name='Marky B']I wonder how different things would have been if Brown told Bliar to shove "The Deal" where the sun don't shine.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    Unlikely Labour would have undergone much of a transformation as Brown appears clueless. Whatever your opinion of Blair he was a far shrewder operator.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='DB7']Unlikely Labour would have undergone much of a transformation as Brown appears clueless. Whatever your opinion of Blair he was a far shrewder operator.

hmmm.......I've been reading lately that should Brown 'fall', Harriet Har'person' is interested in the 'top job', I've sworn blind I would never emigrate from my beloved Britain, but!

Liked
    69 times
    Along with her colleague,Jacquie Smith,she is one of the most useless politicians ever. In fact,I can't think of a most useless Cabinet than this one.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    69 times
    name='DB7']Whatever your opinion of Blair he was a far shrewder operator.

I agree - he was still a liar,whom I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    151 times
    name='Marky B']I agree - he was still a liar,whom I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him!

If you trust any of them you are doomed to end up disappointed. Whatever your political persuasion it's undeniable that Blair did some good as well as bad.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='DB7'] Whatever your political persuasion it's undeniable that Blair did some good as well as bad.

Yes, thanks to his efforts peace was finally bought to the streets of Northern Ireland, and I'm all for free Bus passes for Pensioners, that's something I don't mind my Income tax contribution going toward, though I went off him when he advocated 'Road-pricing', it's going to drive me and many others, Mondeo man, (literally!) off the Road, the very people he had to attract to vote for him in the first place......

Liked
    151 times
    His most memorable positive legacy will probably be the minimum wage, but a lot has gone into the NHS - sadly much of it to make up for Tory neglect, we've Scottish and Welsh devolution, record police numbers, investment in schools (not always well targeted), low unemployment, low inflation.

He is also responsible for pretty much destroying left vs right and making a pragmatic third way of centrist politics the ground all the main parties wish to occupy. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I give you David Cameron.

Iraq will be his epitaph tho.

Liked
    418 times
    name='DB7']Whatever your political persuasion it's undeniable that Blair did some good as well as bad.

And the economy has been so wonderful while he was in power that the opposition now has to seize on the slightest blip (like we're having now) to declare it's the end of the world.

When you compare what it has been like in the not too distant past (10-30 years ago), it's still in very good shape now

But there is always Iraq. Not everything he did was wonderful by any means

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast