Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bedazzled

Liked
    0 times
    During the course of countless viewings of this classic, really my favourite film, full stop, I have always assumed - through process of elimination, really: it's the only speaking role otherwise unaccounted for in the credits - that Bernard 'Irving Moses' Spear must be the pyjama'd gentleman dancing at George Spigott's farewell bash who feeds Barry Humphreys (as Envy) the line 'Isn't this a terrific party!' (BH replies archly: 'Terrific for some, ducky: Just look at the lousy table I've got..)'. He has no fruit about his person, lisps a bit, but seems ordinary enough to be, feasibly, an anonymous, hapless ex-client of Mr. S, who Cook then decided might as well be the only one of these we have heard mentioned by name in the rest of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron
    This is one of my all-time favourite films, and i've seen it many times...

I noticed that in the end credits, it lists Bernard Spear as playing Irving Moses.

To my knowledge, no such character appears in the film (unless someone can tell me different?)

The name Irving Moses is mentioned by George Spiggot (Cook) in the scene where he's explaining to Stanley (Moore) his contractual rights, and filing his contract; "Irving Moses, The fruiterer"

I have to say, i'm not familiar with what the late Bernard Spear looked like, and so cannot be sure if he appeared in the film in any guise.(although his 'scant' internet biographies' list Bedazzled among his works.

Perhaps a Cook expert, may know of an abandoned subplot involving Mr. Moses?

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathonphelps
    During the course of countless viewings of this classic, really my favourite film, full stop, I have always assumed - through process of elimination, really: it's the only speaking role otherwise unaccounted for in the credits - that Bernard 'Irving Moses' Spear must be the pyjama'd gentleman dancing at George Spigott's farewell bash who feeds Barry Humphreys (as Envy) the line 'Isn't this a terrific party!' (BH replies archly: 'Terrific for some, ducky: Just look at the lousy table I've got..)'. He has no fruit about his person, lisps a bit, but seems ordinary enough to be, feasibly, an anonymous, hapless ex-client of Mr. S, who Cook then decided might as well be the only one of these we have heard mentioned by name in the rest of the film.
    That's as good a theory as any....!!

'Your not as stupid as you look , are you Mr Moon?!'

Cheers, Aaron

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the soundtrack to the film - not the Dudley Moore one (although I do have that as well), but the incidental music on CD, if a swap can be arranged.

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathonphelps
    Yup, That's him.

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Further Bedazzled query

George's backing group - that wouldn't be the Ladybirds would it?

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wearysloth

Further Bedazzled query

George's backing group - that wouldn't be the Ladybirds would it?
    Not unless they have had a complete change of personnel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12