Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedazzled

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    This is one of my all-time favourite films, and i've seen it many times...

I noticed that in the end credits, it lists Bernard Spear as playing Irving Moses.

To my knowledge, no such character appears in the film (unless someone can tell me different?)

The name Irving Moses is mentioned by George Spiggot (Cook) in the scene where he's explaining to Stanley (Moore) his contractual rights, and filing his contract; "Irving Moses, The fruiterer"

I have to say, i'm not familiar with what the late Bernard Spear looked like, and so cannot be sure if he appeared in the film in any guise.(although his 'scant' internet biographies' list Bedazzled among his works.

Perhaps a Cook expert, may know of an abandoned subplot involving Mr. Moses?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by aaron@Jul 20 2005, 02:35 AM

This is one of my all-time favourite films, and i've seen it many times...

I noticed that in the end credits, it lists Bernard Spear as playing Irving Moses.

To my knowledge, no such character appears in the film (unless someone can tell me different?)

The name Irving Moses is mentioned by George Spiggot (Cook) in the scene where he's explaining to Stanley (Moore) his contractual rights, and filing his contract; "Irving Moses, The fruiterer"

I have to say, i'm not familiar with what the late Bernard Spear looked like, and so cannot be sure if he appeared in the film in any guise.(although his 'scant' internet biographies' list Bedazzled among his works.

Perhaps a Cook expert, may know of an abandoned subplot involving Mr. Moses?

Bernard Spear's filmography at the IMDb looks fairly impressive. Better than that of many actors.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Now we're into the silly season our office discussion has descended into the Great Which Fruit Do you Like Best Debate - Raspberries Versus Strawberries - I always liked Strawberries best as a child, and then Peter Cook's Bedazzed caught my eye and every time I see it I really fancy a bowl of sugared raspberries...I'm sure many of you remember the scene at the poor old lady's cottage - but what other films have inspired you lot to consume fruit/food/drink???????

Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, the Bedazzled scene is great - poor old Mrs. Wisby!!

The main film to inspire a drink is obvious - The bar scene in Ice cold in Alex. Now, who fancies a cold Carlsberg?

Liked
    0 times
    I really like Bedazzled, so why can I not recall this scene with the raspberries? Am I going mad (I think the answer has to be yes) ....

Liked
    1 times
    Originally posted by Diane Blackwell@Jul 22 2005, 03:30 PM

I really like Bedazzled, so why can I not recall this scene with the raspberries? Am I going mad (I think the answer has to be yes) ....
    This should jog your memory.

Liked
    0 times
    Ah! Of course! Obviously I need to go and watch it again .

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Peter Cook is brilliant!

The pool room scene with the stuttering companion.

"Yes, well, that's easy for you to say".

I love his explanation of how he came to be cast out of Heaven.

And not forgetting the brilliant "Top of The Pops" scene!

GRAEME
    A very cool film. I was in love with Eleanor Bron too.

I think it's great that the Wimpy scenes were really filmed in a Wimpy Bar. Nostalgia overload. I loved Wimpy Bars.

My favourite bit, which you mention, is when Cook is dressed as a traffic warden and sits on a pillar box and gets Dud to emulate the adoring angels.

You should show that clip to anybody studying Paradise Lost - a nice summary of Satan's position!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    A favorite film of mine, too. Loved the stuff Dudley did with Peter Cook.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I thought this was disappointing - because I enjoy the Moore-Cook team and I expected more.

It seemed to me that the creators of the film were attempting to make them into Big Stars at the time, and the revue humor did not easily translate into a full scale comedy. It seemed strained to me: a series of sketches that went on too long.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR
    I thought this was disappointing - because I enjoy the Moore-Cook team and I expected more.

It seemed to me that the creators of the film were attempting to make them into Big Stars at the time, and the revue humor did not easily translate into a full scale comedy. It seemed strained to me: a series of sketches that went on too long.

You know, I used to feel that way, too!

The first couple of viewings of this, I found it very hard going. But, I discovered by chance that if you view it in pieces, you can enjoy how clever it is. (Not the ideal way to watch any movie, I'll freely admit but considering there is so little Cook and Moore material left on film, one must enjoy it as one can!).

As you say, it's probably the 'sketch comedy' writting. It reminds me of the Australian 'Barge Arse' production (for those familiar with it) - very funny when viewed as an individual sketch but too much when strung together. Like eating a very rich entree, followed by an equally rich main and dessert. Too much in one sitting!

Clever material none the less. And the one liners are priceless.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Lady
    You know, I used to feel that way, too!

The first couple of viewings of this, I found it very hard going. But, I discovered by chance that if you view it in pieces, you can enjoy how clever it is. (Not the ideal way to watch any movie, I'll freely admit but considering there is so little Cook and Moore material left on film, one must enjoy it as one can!).

As you say, it's probably the 'sketch comedy' writting. It reminds me of the Australian 'Barge Arse' production (for those familiar with it) - very funny when viewed as an individual sketch but too much when strung together. Like eating a very rich entree, followed by an equally rich main and dessert. Too much in one sitting!

Clever material none the less. And the one liners are priceless.
    Hmmm...Well, that's an idea. When I saw it, I had high expectations because I had seen them do sketches that were very funny and well timed, and I got bored with the film - but watching as a series of sketches would keep it from getting boring.

They really could be brilliant together.

Liked
    0 times
    I've seen the film once and the one thing that kept occurring to me while watching was, "Why do they keep remaking great British films" in reference to the remake the was made a few years back. Now I could go on but it would only end up in some nonsensical rant about Hollywood and ruining cinema's past but I'll just decide to bow out gracefully instead.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaff
    I've seen the film once and the one thing that kept occurring to me while watching was, "Why do they keep remaking great British films" in reference to the remake the was made a few years back. Now I could go on but it would only end up in some nonsensical rant about Hollywood and ruining cinema's past but I'll just decide to bow out gracefully instead.

Agreed!

I console myself with the thought that getting a decent release of the sometimes obscure original films in DVD form is a lot higher with a remake out there (as crappy that remake may be). And it often makes young 'uns seek out the original, which can only be good.

If I didn't comfort myself with that thought, I'd probably be seeking out Jude Law et al to give them a slappin'.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaff

I don't really understand why it's so bad that films get remade. It's not like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa, or turning the central tower of Canterbury cathedral into a concrete tower block - the original artefact is unaffected, and as Wicked Lady points out, remakes might well draw some people's attention to the original. The remake of eg 'TheLadykillers' might be poor (I've not seen it), but even if it is that doesn't make the original any worse, does it? I don't see how cinema's past can be ruined in this way.

Plus there must be plenty of remakes that are superior to the originals. Admittedly, I can't think of any offhand, but I'm sure erudite Britmovie posters can suggest a few.

Liked
    1 times
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was better than the original version (Bedtime Story).

Dangerous Liasions and Oceans 11 were better than the originals.

And (although I'm probably all alone here) I liked the remake of Planet of The Apes.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Some remakes are worthwhile IMHO. Not only for the reasons outlined in the previous post but also because some stories have multi-layered plots and can be properly re-interpreted. The remakes that I hate are one like The Ladykillers. The original is so perfect why bother to remake it ... and then do it so badly. It won't entice anyone who doesn't know the original to check it out andthose millions of dollars/pounds have been wasted when they could have been spent on a 'new' film.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    I remember when I first saw Bedazzled on tv. Moore and Cook had the perfect chemistry for the film

Liked
    1 times
    I always laugh at how truely banal Cook's Satan can be - especially the bit when he's seen stratching vinyl records for a living. Hey, maybe he's the guy behind the lousy discs sofacinema sends out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast