Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Sir Lew Grade was in no doubt the king of British television in the 60's and 70's,but his foray into film making was less successful. He famously quipped after the flop which was Raise The Titantic "It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic." I think my favourite of the Grade produced films was The Boys From Brazil. Was any of his films a financial success?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Marky B']Sir Lew Grade was in no doubt the king of British television in the 60's and 70's,but his foray into film making was less successful.... Was any of his films a financial success?

Ta Ta

Marky B

"The Muppet Movie" perhaps? That spawned many sequels so I'm guessing it was fairly successful.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Capricorn One, The Medusa Touch and The Eagle Has Landed were pretty successful IIRC.

Liked
    69 times
    Thanks for the replies. I remember he placed an advert in a national paper about his future television and film productions,and urging British businessmen to "go out and invade the world".

He was a man I had a lot of admiration for,and as I wrote a couple of years ago,we could do with someone like him now in chargeof television. I read a good book about him,and how Jack Gill pleaded with him to leave the company as he was about to be stabbed in the back when another company was about to buy Grade's.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Marky B']we could do with someone like him now in charge of television.

At various times his nephew has held high executive positions at Channel 4, the BBC and now ITV - all with differing degrees of success.

Liked
    69 times
    name='EHV_Emmetts']At various times his nephew has held high executive positions at Channel 4, the BBC and now ITV - all with differing degrees of success.

I think his best times were as Director of Television for BBC. His chairmanship of ITV has not been that successful by all accounts. I have read that Endemol - who make Big Brother - have shown an interest in buying ITV.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    A good account of Lew Grades film enterprises is given in Alexander Walker's "National Heroes" which i have just finished reading.Anyone interested can buy my copy off Amazon!