Thread: The Knowledge

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Next Saturday night BBC 4 10:15pm, The Knowledge, a real classic by the late Jack Rosenthal. Wonderful cast, very well written and great entertainment. Well worth watching if you haven't seen it before and even if you have.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    A great little comedy. Like a funny Mike Leigh.

I attended an appearance by Jack Rosenthal once when I was living in London. He spoke about his varied writing career from Coronation Street onwards. Seemd a big football fan and wanted to know where a locl pub was showing the latest Man United match!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vetchbook
    A great little comedy. Like a funny Mike Leigh.

I attended an appearance by Jack Rosenthal once when I was living in London. He spoke about his varied writing career from Coronation Street onwards. Seemd a big football fan and wanted to know where a locl pub was showing the latest Man United match!

Well he did write Another Sunday and Sweet F.A (1972) - one of the Saturday Night Theatre series from ITV

The Knowledge is a wonderful piece of writing. And the performances are great as well, especially Nigel Hawthorne as the examiner, Mr. Burgess.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, i recall the 'Vicks inhaler' scene - Priceless!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    My mother-in-law worked as the telephonist at the London Carriage Office, as seen in the film. It's the genuine location alright, she recognised it immediately when she saw this film a few years ago.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oxfam1uk
    My mother-in-law worked as the telephonist at the London Carriage Office, as seen in the film. It's the genuine location alright, she recognised it immediately when she saw this film a few years ago.

Yes, in Penton Street, just off the Pentonville Road.

Pentonville nick is just a few miles north in case anyone doing an appearance really loses it and needs to be locked up for a while

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Still a superb piece of television drama after all these years. Wonderful writing from Jack Rosenthall. Superb performances from all, Nigel Hawthorne, Mick Ford, Kim Taylforth (Gillian's sister), Jonathan Lynn, David Ryall, Michael Elphick, Maureen Lipman, Lesley Joseph, and everyone else involved.

The subject matter and the difficulties they go through are as true and relevant today as they were in 1979 when it was first broadcast.

Steve