Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked
    1 times
    what can one say Will Hay and the gang i love to sit and watch all his films .We will never see the likes again.If only we could turn the clock back.I have all his films on cd and tape some not so good other i will never get tired of.

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    "You may think me a little stupid, but why do they tap wheels?"

It was a quote leading to Wil Hay once again showing he had no idea what he was doing!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    very funny film, but was it Will Hay's best???

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Even the name Buggleskelly make me laugh.

Not a trick is missed in this film. Just right now I can't think of a better comedy film.

Liked
    0 times
    It is funny how some actors continue to live on through their films long after their death but others are soon forgotten>if i mentioned Sidney Howard, Lupinol ANEane,Bobby Howes or Laddie Cliffe,how many people out there would know who they aRE?

Liked
    0 times
    I still think the dialogue between Harbottle and Hay in how the station name is spelled in stones is still hilarious.

Oh and the "Fine salmon in the rivers..." dialogue in the pub is great too!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    An utterly amazing piece of work, a joyous film, I could watch it every day and never tire of it. Though my girlfriend would probably leave me if I did.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    Just (re)quoting some info from another thread in the Locations forum ....

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Linden-Jones
    A few more background details

- Basinstoke & Alton Light Railway closed in 1936 - dismantling was in progress - Gainsborough were given some assurance Cliddesden would remain in tact for some time - but only just.

- filming preparation began 6/1937

- signalbox added, corrugated iron station encased in timber, but sleepers not whitewashed nor station building painted b&w stripes until after several scenes completed

- washing borrowed from local resident

- nearby houses concealed with straw bales to enhance rural authenticity

- filming began 14 June

- Hay stayed at Swan Hotel. Alton

- Marriot stayed at Red Lion Basingstoke

- "rain" on night of Porter's arrival supplied by local fire brigade, called out on a real emergency leaving Hay a little displeased

- tradgedy almost intervened during filming : while crouching down between the rails with the matchbox, watch, chocolate etc on the rails, a flagman was supposed to warn of the approaching Gladstone. Scene required several takes, flagman thought scene had been completed ..... Hay, Marriot and Moffat jumped with only inches to spare. This was the take used in the film!!

- no tunnel, so one built out of plaster and balsa wood

- filming suffered from the good ole "slippery leaves on the line" syndrome : when Gladstone smashes through level crossing, required to be shot in sunlight. As engine approached, sun went in, engine braked, and continued to slide through - and smash - gates. Had to rebuild, and re-shoot.

- engine used was 2-4-0T Nothiam from Col. Stephenson's Kent and East Sussex Railway. Other rolling stock from Southern Railway

- windmill scene shot in Terling, Sussex

- a remake was mooted in 1950s with Frankie Howerd

Source : Return to Buggleskelly - The Making of Oh, Mr. Porter, Gary Smith, Steam World (magazine), Issue 138 December 1998, pp 36-38

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum
    It is funny how some actors continue to live on through their films long after their death but others are soon forgotten>if i mentioned Sidney Howard, Lupinol ANEane,Bobby Howes or Laddie Cliffe,how many people out there would know who they aRE?
    Lupino Lane in particular is still very highly thought of in the silent comedy world....and with good reason.

Liked
    22 times
    For all fans of "Oh Mr Porter" - it is being shown this week on BBC 4, Thursday 16th October at 10.00 p.m.

The BBC have always shown a different print to the one used for all official VHS and dvd releases. In the opening credits the dvd version states "distributed by International Film Renters" but the BBC print (obviously of an earlier origin) states "distributed by General Film Distributors". Another difference - the back drop to "General Film Distributors" shows a moving image, whilst the "International Film Distributors" has a static background - presumably so only one frame from the original film had to be corrected?

So if you've not noticed this before, watch BBC 4 on Thursday and see if the BBC are still transmitting their original print. They used it last time when the film was shown on BBC 2 as part of the Summer of British Film season in 2007.

Mike (MrT)

Liked
    22 times
    A reminder that Oh Mr Porter is showing tonight on BBC4 (16th October) at 10.00pm.

The BBC has always shown a different print to the one used for all official VHS and dvd releases. In the opening credits the dvd version states "distributed by International Film Renters" but the BBC print (obviously of an earlier origin) states "distributed by General Film Distributors". Another difference - the back drop to "General Film Distributors" shows a moving image, whilst the "International Film Distributors" has a static background - presumably so only one frame from the original film had to be corrected?

So if you've not noticed this before, watch BBC 4 on Thursday and see if the BBC are still transmitting their original print. They used it last time when the film was shown on BBC 2 as part of the Summer of British Film season in 2007.

Mike (MrT)

Senior Member Country: England duffy moon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh bollox bum tush & fye, my tape waited until I had gone off to do something else and ran out after 40 mins.......

Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know when Graham Rinaldi's biographical study of Will Hay is being published? I was told it should be soon - it has been over 10 years in the writing and should be worth waiting for.

Liked
    1 times
    My favorite line "The next train gone!".

I understand that over the years Hay got quite jealous of his side-kicks , Graham Moffatt and Moore Marriot feeling that they were starting to up-stage him.

Robb Wilton the radio comedian had a funny station-master radio skit as a master of a run-down station that never saw a train. "When I came her you should have seen it. There was grass growing between the lines. Grass I tell you! Now look - a finer crop of brussell sprouts you'll not find anywhere".

Dave in Toronto

Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone out there still have copies of the railway ticket issued as part of the original promotion of the film in 1938. Perhaps if the item does still exist then it might be scanned and put on the web site. I just wondered what it looked like. There were thousands of these tickets issued and distributed over a large area

Also, is anyone planning a DVD special edition release of this film, as there appears to be quite a bit of suitable printed materials available. This is probably one of the best if not the best of all of Will Hay's Films

Liked
    0 times
    I've been searching for a re-print of the poster for this film but to no avail. Has anyone ever seen one?

Many thanks

Liked
    0 times
    This does not exactly answer your question - but if you could find copies or get access to the following, it may help.

There are poster advertising materials available in "Todays Cinema" . - October 5th 1937. and if I remember correctly, the poster is spread over a double page of the publication.

I think these pages or similar advertising was also published in the "Daily Film Renter" from either 1937 or 1938 - Don't have the exact dates. Also there are some good quality on set / behind the scenes / still pictures printed in these publications along with various reports about the film etc.

I would also like to obtain at least a postcard view of the poster and images of all the other Will Hay Film posters -

Perhaps DVD producers of Will Hay films might include images as part of a gallery.- Stills and advertising materials please.

Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks.

Liked
    0 times
    Will Hay at his best in this lovely old british comedy my children all watched this when they were growing up and all thought it was great ever lasting laughs

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I like this film very much myself. I particularly love the scene where Will Hay is trying to sell train tickets to other customers in the pub (all Irish of course), and they start arguing about which is the best town/village before they end up fighting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast