Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked
    151 times
    Amazon Review

Though he gets solo above-the-title billing, Will Hay was no more a solo comedian than Groucho Marx--and Oh, Mr Porter!, one of his finest vehicles, finds him congenially teamed with sidekicks Moore Marriott and Graham Moffatt in one of the British cinema's greatest comedy gangs. Hay's William Porter, an inept railway worker, is shunted off to the dead-end job of stationmaster in Buggleskelly, Northern Ireland, arriving as the latest in a long line of doomed souls who have left their presentation clocks on the mantelpiece of the dilapidated office.

The delight of the film is in the interplay between Hay and Marriott, the single-toothed dotty old-timer, and Moffatt, the chubby smart kid, as they fail the most basic requirements of their jobs but come up trumps when investigating the ghost of One-Eyed Joe and his haunted mill, discovering a branch line being used by cross-border gun-smugglers who are defeated in a spirited final chase. There's some slapstick with an escape from the mill in a high wind and the last ride of the venerable locomotive Gladstone, but Hay works best with character comedy, pompously reprimanding his subordinates for dodges he proceeds to pull himself, reacting to every ominous line with a perfect double-take and blithely surviving the chaos his character causes wherever he goes.

Kim Newman

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I was lucky enough to get along to the Ritzy in Brixton last autumn for the "70th anniversary of the world premiere" special screening of OMP. After the film we were treated to some clips from a work in progress "Making Of.." doc which was apparently to feature as an extra in a new DVD release of the film timed for the full blown 70th anniversary of the movie this year.

Does anyone have any news on this new DVD and/or the doc? Hasn't appeared on Amazon etc yet.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    The makers of this documentary made it out of the love of the film. Granada had no involvement in it. Having been made, I did point out to Granada of its existence. Granada would be very unlikely to realise the potential from making such a documentary themselves.

Liked
    0 times
    "Listen, you old fool, everything around here's either too old or it don't work...... and you're both"

Member Country: Croatia
    Liked
    0 times
    Marriott's character has been inspiration to several comic creations in cinema outside UK. at least that I know of. He's unforgettable and inimitable.

This movie is one of my all time favorite comedies. It's old, but it still works better than most new stuff around here!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Here's a tip - next time you watch it - look at Will Hay's face during the scene when they first try to revive Gladstone and the chicken comes out of the fire box. For a split second Hay looks directly at the camera. It's a really spooky connection - like he's looking right at you down through all the years.

Fantastic film - in my all time top three.

Hay was still brilliant away from Moore and Marriott with other stooges such as Claude Hulbert but i agree he needed a foil of some description.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1XxG33PE3k

This is the opening sequence.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    The breakfast scene at Buggleskelly station was one of my favourites.

Superb film

Liked
    151 times
    It's amongst my favourite films and one I keep stored on Sky+ for those nights when I just want to kick back. There's some great scenes of which my favourite is the farmer come to collect his pig.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Arthur Lowe admitted to modelling his Captain Mainwaring character on Will Hay's comic traits.

Liked
    1 times
    Of the three main performers, special mention has to be given to Graham Moffatt. He was just 17 years old when he featured in this film (although he looks much older) and his performance is of equal stature to his other more senior co-stars.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EHV_Emmetts
    Of the three main performers, special mention has to be given to Graham Moffatt. He was just 17 years old when he featured in this film (although he looks much older) and his performance is of equal stature to his other more senior co-stars.
    I agree!

Liked
    0 times
    the gate opening scene ,brilliant as the other 2 watch hay run around telling him it doesnt work but not why it doesnt work .

Liked
    1 times
    Harbottle: "I brought these flowers up by hand".

Porter: "Yes, and they're coming down by foot".

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    You lot have whetted my appetite, think I might have to watch it again tonight.

Favourite line,

What about the litter? etc.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pricey
    Here's a tip - next time you watch it - look at Will Hay's face during the scene when they first try to revive Gladstone and the chicken comes out of the fire box. For a split second Hay looks directly at the camera. It's a really spooky connection - like he's looking right at you down through all the years.

Fantastic film - in my all time top three.

Hay was still brilliant away from Moore and Marriott with other stooges such as Claude Hulbert but i agree he needed a foil of some description.
    watched it last week and never saw that before , very spooky.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    cant believe nobodys said " your wasting your time " yet . that same type of charactor using that line was later used by vic and bob on their novelty island sketches .they were totally honest about where they stole the idea from ,being fans of the film themselves

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Perfect film one I've loved for years, i think i'm almost word perfect on it having seen it so many times.

"You may think me a little stupid, but why do they tap wheels?"

Senior Member Country: New Zealand
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsterkent
    Perfect film one I've loved for years, i think i'm almost word perfect on it having seen it so many times.

"You may think me a little stupid, but why do they tap wheels?"
    To test for cracks or breakage. This is done by listening to the sound the hammer makes when it hits the wheel. If the wheel is sound then you get a clear bell type sound but if it's not then the sound is flat and dull and indicates that the wagon or carriage shouldn't be allowed run until the wheel is replaced.

brianl

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Or if there's no sound, then you know the train's gone!

Nick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast