Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Still seeking to clear up some old queries at another movie site and looking for help from the UK!

1) "I saw this film in the late 1980's or early 1990's on TV. I don't know how old the film was at that time. I'm guessing it was a theatrical release. It is in color. It is set in the English or Scottish countryside and it is about a radio host (BBC). It is basically his life, ups and downs, and so forth. I remember a scene with a car driving through the countryside. As I remember it, it ends with a lovely little monologue about radio. The radio host is on the air, and there is an elderly woman in her home listening. It is a holiday, possibly Christmas. The radio host says something like - we are not alone today because I am here and you are home listening to me, so we are together. He talks about how radio - having a live person talking to you from a studio - connects you to him."

2) "I vaguely recall a film from when I was a boy, although it may have been older than I. I would guess it was from the late-'50s or early-'60s. It was a British or American film, but it was set in Europe in the turn of the century--at least partly in Switzerland--and it was about an attempt to cross the Alps by hot-air balloon. At least one boy was a major character. At one point, one of the men (the balloon's pilot?) had a paper scale model of the balloon, and was demonstrating how it would fly. The model caught fire and burned. They ended up going over the Alps in the balloon."

3) "I vaguely remember seeing a film on TV as a young child and I think I saw it more than once in the early to mid 1970s. I thought it was called Wings of a Dove or something like that but I can't find anything with that name.I think it was set in UK somewhere. I cannot remember if it was black and white or colour.I remember the opening scenes including two young children a boy and a girl and I think they were staying with an uncle. This uncle was nasty and smashed up their dolls house and threw it into the fireplace.I also remember them standing on a cliff edge.I also think the uncle may have had a false/mechanical hand but I'm not sure about that."

4) "Young girl is disabled ( legs ) by a car accident, she is an orphan & lives with her grandmother. Film set in early years of the car. Grandmothers maid has relationship with car designer/manufacturer ? but calls it off when girl is injured. Grandmother is mean but mellows through film, grandmother marries a doctor, maid marries her 'car man', proposal involves him kneeling in some nettles. Film is colour, set in English countryside, title is possibly the girls name."

5) "I saw a movie (on tv) and I believe it is an english comedy where 2 guys bet (and pay) to make things happen.For example - guy gets one rowing team to run over the other rowing teams boat - other scenes are these antics which are all funny.(I thought peter sellers but cannot find anything)."

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    4 sounds like it might be a slightly misremembered Pollyanna which is actually set in the US.

GRAEME
    Pretty sure Number 5 is The Magic Christian.

Sellers as a super rich bloke who "adopts" Ringo Starr and sets out to show the corrupting power of money. Pays a traffic warden (Spike Milligan) to eat a parking ticket, for example. The finale is showing dozens of bowler hatted city gents diving into a vat of shit to grab the twenty pound notes that have been scattered across it.

Subtle it ain't.

Does have a great but disturbing cameo from Yul Brynner as a transexual caberet singer entrancing a young Roman Polanski and then wipping off his wig: "It's you!" "Yes, me!"

Liked
    0 times
    3 sounds like a film with Ron Moody set in Ireland about 2 children who are due to inherit (something/money) & Ron Moody is a relative who wants the inheritance for himself. I think the title is correct but I've only seen the film once a very long time ago.

Freda

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='freda']3 sounds like a film with Ron Moody set in Ireland about 2 children who are due to inherit (something/money) & Ron Moody is a relative who wants the inheritance for himself. I think the title is correct but I've only seen the film once a very long time ago.

Freda

Flight of the Doves

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the answers so far! I am pretty sure that Numbers 4 and 5 have been cleared--and these were lingering on the other site for over a year! I don't know what they're teaching in schools nowadays here in America, but our state of cultural literacy regarding British films is simply shocking.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Number 1 might be 'Comfort and Joy' (1984) though it's been a while since I've seen it!

Liked
    0 times
    No. 3 - Definitely Flight Of The Doves (released 1971). Also starred Mark Lester with supporting role by Jack Wild.

Liked
    0 times
    Yeah. It definitely was Flight Of The Doves, but I had forgotten it was Jack Wild, not Mark Lester who was in it. I was remembering that Jack Wild and Mark Lester had reunited for a movie after Oliver, but it was for Melody.