Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Hi

Did anyone else enjoy this programme? I loved the characters in it. I know they did re-runs on sky about a year ago but it wasn`t on for long. Shame!

xx

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Loved this programme, would happily watch it again.

Liked
    0 times
    I liked the programme I didnt watch it avidly, but remember that it came on after The Genration Game. I did buy a VHS video for my wife some years ago , which contained two episodes, which I did enjoy.

It does bring back memories of a time when BBC 1 on Saturday was a must, with a good film a cop show like Ironside or Kojak, Two Ronnies or Mike Yarwood, with Parky to round things off.

Liked
    416 times
    name='bhowells']I liked the programme I didnt watch it avidly, but remember that it came on after The Genration Game. I did buy a VHS video for my wife some years ago , which contained two episodes, which I did enjoy.

It does bring back memories of a time when BBC 1 on Saturday was a must, with a good film a cop show like Ironside or Kojak, Two Ronnies or Mike Yarwood, with Parky to round things off.

Are you saying your not satisfied with Big brother, late night Trisha and wife swap Bhowells?

xx

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember watching it once and a plane flew over.

Liked
    0 times
    name='faginsgirl']Are you saying your not satisfied with Big brother, late night Trisha and wife swap Bhowells?

xx

Well lets just say that that Big Brother etc lack the same cosy allure of an episode of Dixon of Dock Green or Raymond Burr barking out instuctions to his team in Ironside or Rolf Harris singing hit songs of the day with The Young Generation, or best of all Mike Yarwood breaking in an new impersonation.

Liked
    416 times
    name='bhowells']Well lets just say that that Big Brother etc lack the same cosy allure of an episode of Dixon of Dock Green or Raymond Burr barking out instuctions to his team in Ironside or Rolf Harris singing hit songs of the day with The Young Generation, or best of all Mike Yarwood breaking in an new impersonation.

Thats true! Most Saturdays nights now I tend to just sit and stick pins in my eyes! Its more entertaining!

xx

Liked
    0 times
    name='faginsgirl']Thats true! Most Saturdays nights now I tend to just sit and stick pins in my eyes! Its more entertaining!

xx

I usually read the contents of the HP sauce bottle.

Liked
    0 times
    name='bhowells']I usually read the contents of the HP sauce bottle.

You should be boycotting HP sauce because they closed down the Birmingham factory and moved production to Holland.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='McGill']You should be boycotting HP sauce because they closed down the Birmingham factory and moved production to Holland.

That's naughty.......I wouldn't have thought production costs were any less in Holland than they would be in Britain?

As for 'Duchess', I did watch it in it's 3 channels on the TV day, and some of it when it was repeated a few years ago,but I feel Gemma tended to overact the part with the tone of voice she used........always LOUD!

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i love this series! it took me ages to obtain series 1 part 1 boxset on dvd-all the other series boxsets were readily available and for cheap but for some reason series1/1 was rare until recently!

anyone who likes 'upstairs,downstairs' with appreciate this underrated production

Member Country: England ILoveThe70s's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Like Upstairs Downstairs, the Duchess of Duke Street was one of those 70s series which had a very memorable theme tune. I've not heard it for 30+ years yet it is still fresh in my mind. Another series of similar vintage with a distinctive theme tune was 'Wings' (nothing to do with Paul McCartney!). Anybody remember that?

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='ILoveThe70s']Like Upstairs Downstairs, the Duchess of Duke Street was one of those 70s series which had a very memorable theme tune. I've not heard it for 30+ years yet it is still fresh in my mind. Another series of similar vintage with a distinctive theme tune was 'Wings' (nothing to do with Paul McCartney!). Anybody remember that?

one of my favourite theme tunes along with 'tales of the unexpected' ,'sherlock holmes'and 'the sweeney'! can't say i've heard of 'wings'?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='jaycad']can't say i've heard of 'wings'?

Presumably the 1977 British TV series about the Royal Flying Corps

Wings (1977)

Not the 1990 American series about running a small airline in Nantucket

Wings (1990)

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Gemma Jones of Duke Street and Nicholas Jones of Wings are brother and sister.