Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This sixties classic starring Oliver Reed & directed by Michael Winner is being released by Odeon in 2008 (according to the phamphlet notes on their 'Day at the Beach' dvd).

Member Country: Great Britain Gaumont's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It's already available from the States under the US title 'The Girl Getters'.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    It has been released on VHS in the US (by Kino) but not on DVD.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    New R2 DVD release: THE SYSTEM (Michael Winner)

The System from Odeon Entertainment

The System is set in Torbay, where the local young men mingle among the summer�s tourists in search of sexual conquests. The group�s leader, Tinker (Oliver Reed), aims to entrap a fashion model (Jane Merrow) from a well-to-do family, but he finds himself unexpectedly falling in love. With the tables turned, Tinker begins to see that maybe it�s not the tourists who are being used in these sexual games. A gem of a film, directed by Michael Winner......Excellent B/W cinematography from Nicholas Roeg.

Director: Michael Winner

Starring: Oliver Reed, Jane Merrow, Barbara Ferris and Julia Foster.

Date of Release: 1964

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    And when do we get the Michael Winner Collection?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    If it had these in it I'd buy it ....

West 11

The System

The Jokers

I'll Never Forget What's'isname

Hannibal Brooks

Lawman

The Nightcomers

Death Wish

Dirty Weekend

.... Michael Winner has made some excellent movies!

Senior Member Country: Scotland Grey Wyler's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']If it had these in it I'd buy it ....

West 11

The System

The Jokers

Hannibal Brooks

Lawman

The Nightcomers

Death Wish

Dirty Weekend

Thank you Bats, i will gladly second that. Too many arsehole armchair experts have slagged the old bugger off for too long. Ok, he made a couple of stinkers, but he has never been deserving of the caning that he has had to withstand.

I would go as far as to include Parting Shots, which i thought was really great; lovely performance from Oliver Reed.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']If it had these in it I'd buy it ....

West 11

The System

The Jokers

Hannibal Brooks

Lawman

The Nightcomers

Death Wish

Dirty Weekend

You missed out his finest film, THE MECHANIC, plus CHATO'S LAND a Western I have a soft spot for. I'll certainly be getting THE SYSTEM, though I found his other "sixties" film INFW rather less rebellious than it claimed to be, and it cribbed one scene from CATCH US IF YOU CAN.

Liked
    1 times
    From Amazon:

Synopsis

Rarely seen in since its release, THE SYSTEM is a great lost document of mod 60's British culture, utilizing the talents of many artists who went on to more celebrated accomplishments. Michael Winner (DEATH WISH) directs the late Oliver Reed, who stars as Tinker, the leader of a gang of blazer-and-necktie sporting youths who are on holiday at a seaside resort- picking fights, terrorizing tourists, and leaving a trail of dishevelled young females in their path. The ruggedly handsome Tinker, however, is not prepared for one of his many young female conquests to capture his heart. Nicholas Roeg (PERFORMANCE, THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH), does a creative job behind the camera in this captivating, authentic precursor to QUADROPHENIA.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought this but have not yet had time to watch it but it looks a great film I used to think Winner was a bit silly after only seeing him as the front face of the Esure Adds but I was very wrong and he is a very good director.

Liked
    137 times
    name='marker']I bought this but have not yet had time to watch it but it looks a great film I used to think Winner was a bit silly after only seeing him as the front face of the Esure Adds but I was very wrong and he is a very good director.

Couldn't agree more

Also, have you seen his West 11 ?, a cracking film.

Liked
    1 times
    I received this DVD today and must say I'm rather impressed - it even came with a little booklet about the film and the cast.

Here's a link to the Best Of British DVD series:

Best of British from Odeon Entertainment

Liked
    0 times
    Can someone tell me if the DVD is anamorphic? It has 16:9 on the box but that could mean letterbox. Thanks.

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    name='Alan']Can someone tell me if the DVD is anamorphic? It has 16:9 on the box but that could mean letterbox. Thanks.

Anamorphic means to squeeze the picture by the means of a special lens during shooting the film which is then used to unsqueeze during viewing. Since DVD'd are not sold with anamorphic lenses, the process is done before you buy so therefore I would presume it would be in letterbox vision. To my knowledge no videos are sold already squeezed.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    If you are referring to the Odeon Enertainment DVD of The System I can can confirm that this is not anamorphic but is slightly letter-boxed.

Liked
    0 times
    name='earlb']Anamorphic means to squeeze the picture by the means of a special lens during shooting the film which is then used to unsqueeze during viewing. Since DVD'd are not sold with anamorphic lenses, the process is done before you buy so therefore I would presume it would be in letterbox vision. To my knowledge no videos are sold already squeezed.

Er...no. Hardly any 'scope films are shot anamorphic these days. Nearly all widescreen DVD's are anamorphic (& I wouldn't buy one that wasn't). That is; when the film is transfered, the picture is electronically stretched up so that when you play it on a widescreen TV set on wide (TV's do this automatically) the picture is stretched wide & is now OK. If it's not anamorphic, then you have to use the zoom, which ruins the picture. Anyway Hugo has told me, so I'm not going to buy it . Thanks.

Liked
    15 times
    name='Alan']Er...no. Hardly any 'scope films are shot anamorphic these days.

Er ...Yes.

Liked
    0 times
    name='earlb']Er ...Yes.

Sorry Earl, but it really is er...no. I'm a telecine colourist & have transfered quite a few features. For the past year & a half I've been mostly transfering rushes. Features are now shot in super 35mm (the same stock, but they use the whole picture & soundtrack area, perf to perf), & out of that cut out whatever shape they want (1.85 2.35 2.40 ect). In fact a great many films (maybe more than 50% now) are shooting in three perf, which saves stock. I did speak to a cameraman about two years ago who had just shot a film anamorphic, but it's very rare now.

Liked
    15 times
    In that case I apologise Alan. I was brought up on 35m/m - 70 m/m and Todd A-O. I was used to using Scope lenses (usually made by Bausch and Lomb) to squeeze the picture. That was many years ago (I am a dinosaur) and obviously things have changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast