Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    Just got this through from the BBC:

Yes Minister/ Yes Prime Minister

Looks like a good deal and it's also coming up as cheapest by far at Find DVD.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    A lot of viewing for a little money...

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    If anybody is interested, 'Dave' is showing 4 episodes of the original Yes, Prime Minister with Paul Eddington etc. tonight from 8pm.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dame Starry View Post
    If anybody is interested, 'Dave' is showing 4 episodes of the original Yes, Prime Minister with Paul Eddington etc. tonight from 8pm.
    I thought it strange that they're also showing the original series on the same nights as the new series so everyone will be able to do a direct comparison. It means that the new series will have a lot to live up to

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    I thought it strange that they're also showing the original series on the same nights as the new series so everyone will be able to do a direct comparison. It means that the new series will have a lot to live up to Steve
    You're right Steve. And I'm not sure it's going to be able to. If you're going to remake such a popular series, the audience has to love the actors playing the main characters. Do people love David Haig? He's pretty much the same bumbling persona in everything, but is he really lovable? And Henry Goodman? Who loves him? I very much like Chris Larkin, he's funny and underrated as an actor, but he's not famous.

Junior Member Country: England tangerine's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I think David Haig might be the weak link in the new series as if he plays it like most of his roles as a bumbling fool he will go away from the way Hacker was played in the original shows

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    A shift in the dynamics of Hacker and Sir Humphrey made for unfunny viewing IMO. Sir Humphrey should dominate the scene, not Hacker. David Haig was too loud, big and in control, Henry Goodman has a certain charm, but pales compared to Nigel Hawthorne and I never believed he could pull the wool over such a confident Prime Minister. I do like Chris Larkin, as I said, but as Bernard, not sure he's been given much to do that's funny enough. As for the token female - what's her character? Zoe Telford is a good actress, in dramas, but nothing tonight suggested she's going to add much to the comedy. And you can see her nipples in the dress in the trailer for next week's show. Oh dear.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    I think that one problem was that the first episode was adapted from the recent stage version and it showed. It was much too theatrical, the acting was very stagey with lots of shouting and arm-waving perhaps it will improve when they get to new material.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    They seem to be making the new series into a continuous story rather than each episode being a self-contained story like they did with the previous series

Steve

Member Country: Russian Federation Alexander Sedov's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a great series! I remember them very well and like their elegant satire and humour. The excellent cast, witty lines... The Soviet Central Television first showed the "Yes, Prime Minister!" in June of 1990. And nowadays the Russian TV cabel channels a sort of "Retro" or "Nostalgia" show these series from time to time.
    Here is the front page of a TV & Radio guide called "Говорит и показывает Москва" (Moscow Shows and Tells) with the announcement of "Yes, Prime Minister" (TV Premiere on Soviet TV):

and bigger:

Last edited by Alexander Sedov; 27-10-13 at 11:31 PM.