Liked
    0 times
    This film stars Gary Oldman and Alfred Molina.It's about Joe Orton and Kenneth Halliwell.

I'm a big fan of Gry oldman,this film is really good.And funny enough,he is friends with Tim Roth,who i also love.

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    A very good film, although it had a tragic ending I enjoyed it very much as well.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hankoler
    A very good film, although it had a tragic ending I enjoyed it very much as well.
    Of course, it has a tragic beginning too because of the film's structure. The tragic outcomes are nicely lightened though when Peggy and Leonie are dealing with the ashes (won't give more away for those who haven't seen it).

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    The book by John Lahr is excellent too. If you like Ortons work, Miss H. Try reading his collected plays.

Here is a website dedicated to his life and work:-

Joe Orton Online

I loved the cinema version of "Entertaining Mr Sloane"

No blue plaque for him yet?

Joe Orton 1933 - 1967

Liked
    0 times
    Chevy, I'm delighted to tell you that there's a blue plaque in Leicester on the house where he was born

There is a small plaque at 25 Noel Road where he died but it's not a blue one - it may be Islington Council or a private one. No, come to think of it, Islington Council still haven't forgiven him for defacing their library books

I used to work at Hanover Primary School in Noel Road and looked up at the window every time I walked past, imagining a figure in the window . . .

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza
    Chevy, I'm delighted to tell you that there's a blue plaque in Leicester on the house where he was born

There is a small plaque at 25 Noel Road where he died but it's not a blue one - it may be Islington Council or a private one. No, come to think of it, Islington Council still haven't forgiven him for defacing their library books

I used to work at Hanover Primary School in Noel Road and looked up at the window every time I walked past, imagining a figure in the window . . .
    Thanks Gazza. Nice to know he's remembered. I'll have a look next time I'm in Leicester........that would be on the Saffron Lane estate

Maybe Islington Council should put the defaced volumes on show. I remember the Gollancz dust jacket they "embellished"

I had only checked the English Heritage site at the time of posting.

Thanks again

Liked
    0 times

Liked
    44 times
    I have but I didn't know someone had posted it on youtube

"These defacings did upset some of our readers........especially the elderly, lady-like ones"

That Legal Clerk looked like he revelled in his work

Cheers

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Of course very often Orton himself wrote in complaining about his own works under various aliases inc. Mrs Edna Welthorpe. He didn't take himself very seriously (tragically unlike his partner). I was actually disappointed in the film having read the biography and diaries. I admire Alfred Molina enormously but thought he was mis-cast in this one. I formed a picture of Kenneth Halliwell which was much more urbane, cultured and sharp as well as seriously unhinged, of course. Molina did a kind of plodding depressive but I thought it should have been a more dashing and mercurial type. Lets not forget that a lot of the inspiration for Orton's plays (including all the titles) came from suggestions of Halliwell.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Possibly Islington Libraries haven't got room for a permanent display but they've certainly got the defaced books and it's possible to see them.

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman

I loved the cinema version of "Entertaining Mr Sloane"

Me too!

And the film version of Loot with Hwyl Bennett and Dickie Attenborough is rather fun too.

There is also a great BBC play version of What the Butler Saw - possibly Orton's funniest play - from around 1987, the 20th anniversary of his death. Dinsdale Landon IIRCC in the lead. Wish they'd repeat it.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    I know this may be a shock seeing username I chose but I love the film too!

The irreplaceable Beryl Reid and the much underated Harry Andrews.

I remember watching the film on the Beeb during a series of British Films of the late 60's and seventies inc A Day in the Life of Joe Egg and Morgan a Suitable Case for Treatment. About time they did a similar series.