Thread: Frank Finlay

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Having just taken delivery of my Three/Four Musketeers DVD (Richard Lester) - I remember how much I enjoyed Frank Finlay's performance as Porthos.

But what ever happened to Frank Finlay?

Seems that he just disappeared after this film. Was this his finest moment?

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    I thought his finest big screen moment was opposite Richard Harris and Sean Connery in "The Molly McGuires", he was pretty good in that. He must be a fair old age now, I think he has done a lot of TV and theatre but your right about him not making so many films after appearing as Porthos but I think he has been very active as an actor in other fields. He was in the "Pianist", thats the most recent film I've seen him in, but like you Im surprised he has not appeared in more films, he is a superb actor and powerful presence.

Liked
    1 times
    Casanova and Bouquet of Barbed Wire come to mind, also as the priest in The Wild Geese, fine actor!!

Liked
    0 times
    I saw him on stage in the New Theatre in Cardiff in Jeffrey Archers,"Beyond Reasonable Doubt," many years ago along with Andrew Cruickshank and Wendy Craig. Ok its a Jeffrey Archer play but what a fantastic cast.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw FF on stage at Chichester Festival Theatre at the begginning of June this year. It was one of the final performances in a run of The Cherry Orchard. He was among a fine cast headed by Diana Rigg and including William Gaunt, Jemma Redgrave and Maureen Lipman. So he's still working well.

Liked
    0 times
    i was in torquay today .in fact ive just come home sadly.........im one of these people who can look at a face and know who it is straight away.......i was outside a supmarket ..there was this chap in a suit with a rather large hat .and i knew him ..frank finlay ..but i didnt have the guts to approach him .ive been on the internet tonight seen he s part of south devon actors ..can any one confirm of his living or what ever in torquay..it was sure it was him

GRAEME
    I'd like to see one of the Van Der Valk films he made for German TV. Interesting to compare to the familiar and much loved Barry Foster version. Anybody seen them?

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I've never seen them Graeme. Infact I didn't know anything about them. You've aroused my interest now though. Thanks for the info.

wec

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Van Der Valk? Really? I didn't know about this either. I really like Frank Finlay's acting; consistently good over the years. I keep trying to find time to see the Play For Today 84 Charing Cross Road at the Mediatheque - obviously unavailable through other channels.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    He plays a rather mousey little character in "Life for Ruth", a simple man from Durham.

Frank Finlay

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    He was brilliant in one of the early Heatbeat's, playing Thora Hird's son in law. He was Helen Mirren's dad in the final Prime Suspect

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Terrific as Albert Finney's crooked brother on Gumshoe.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Frank Finlay in 'The Sandwich Man' (1966)

A minor role as '2nd Fish Porter' (at Billingsgate Market):

Obviously used to slicing fish, Frank is horrified to discover that he's just cut through customer Tracey Crisp's handbag.

'The Girl in the Black Pastic Mac' retaliates by throwing fish back at him, to the amusement of colleague Sydney Tafler:

His previous screen credit, as Iago in Shakespeare's Othello was not only more substantial but won him an Oscar nomination.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I have yet to see The Sandwich Man. It's a pity Frank has such a small role in it. Nice screencaps Cornershop.

wec.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    A TV Times article about Frank Finlay from the January 22nd - 28th 1977 issue of TV Times.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I've always liked his version of Van Helsing in the BBC's 1977 'Count Dracula' - the one with Louis Jourdan as the Count.