Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clockwise

Liked
    0 times
    I much prefer this John Cleese effort to A Fish Called Wanda, and have always thought it was underrated.

The cast list contains Joan Hickson, Penelope Wilton, Alison Steadman, Geoffrey Palmer amongst a whole host of others, and while a great cast doesn't necessarily make a great film, this cast just adds to the overall comedy of the punctual headmaster who is late for the conference!

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I like this one, I thought it was much better than a fish called wanda which I couldn`t bare!

xx

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I much prefer this John Cleese effort to A Fish Called Wanda, and have always thought it was underrated.
    Couldn't agree more. Always thought Wanda was very overrated and Clockwise was IMHO a great example of a film farce that worked.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I saw them in a double bill and hated Wanda (which surprised me) and loved Clockwise (though normally I dislike comedy about lateness). Matching Cleese up with a sullen teenage girl was genius.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I thought Clockwise was far funnier than Fierce Creatures, and immeasurably superior to the simply awful Splitting Heirs.

John Cleese is now based in Hollywood these days and I've just read that he plays Chief Inspector Dreyfus in Pink Panther 2.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Whatever happened to the young actress who played the sullen teenage girl ?

She was very good...

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Whatever happened to the young actress who played the sullen teenage girl ?

She was very good...
    Sharon Maiden - she's still working.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I love watching Clockwise.

Really funny and very British.

Penelope Wilton is very good in it as are Sharon Maiden & Mr Cleese.

I liked the teacher who never finishes his sentences.

My girlfriend and I still recite the "I don't know who I am or where I am"

The bit where the dotty old lady serenades one of the teachers is lovely.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Penelope Wilton is very good in it
    Penelope Wilton is very good in everything she does. From comedy to tragedy via high drama I don't think I've ever seen her give a bad performance

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I tell all my pupils : It's not a free, it's a study!

Liked
    0 times
    I much prefer this to Fish Called Wanda, couldnt stand the latter. Joan Hickson was great and also the guy who once played Adrian Moles Father on tv.

Liked
    0 times
    This was a film which realy disappointed me.

Cleese and Wilton were both very good, as was Sharon Maidon, but it was totally spolt for me by the uncovincing locations used.

I live in Norwich where the film was supposed to set and have driven to London from Norwich. not a single recogisable landmark in the whole thing. The architecture was all wron for a route from Norwich to London. A little more trouble would have made it for me.

When Alan Partridge set a scene in Norwich Tandy store, he actually took the trouble to do it on location.

Liked
    0 times
    Well, the locales may not have been authentic Norwich, but the beautiful, quintessentially English landscapes were one of the most memorable elements of the film... another key element being the adorable Sharon Maiden, the perfect mixture of good girl/bad girl/girl next door, and precisely the sort of student that a young bachelor teacher could fall illicitly in love with.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    This was shot in my very own Lincolnshire and Grimsby (I recognise the hospital scenes and a few of the roads.) It's certainly very funny, but I think A Fish Called Wanda just gets the edge in my opinion, thanks to its faster pace and other performers, in particular Michael Palin

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Strange but true.

John's grandfathers name was John Edwin Cheese.

He changed it to Cleese when he joined the army.

John Cleese was recently quoted as saying that he had written two very good film scripts over the last three years but that the film studio executives had "f..ked them up" because they had no idea what to do with them.

Dave.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I still like watching the dvd every now and then,it's just a pleasant British film with some nice footage of British countryside and some daft situations thrown in.

Liked
    0 times
    Your are totally right. Clockwise was a brilliantly funny film from start to finish. The more times you watch it, the more you pick up on some of the more subtle jokes. The 1st time i ever saw this was a huge belly laugh. Fish called Wanda had one excellent moment, when the guy with the stutter suddenly lost the stutter re: Cathcott Towers? classic moment. but that apart, pretty poor fayre, I agree.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Your are totally right. Clockwise was a brilliantly funny film from start to finish. The more times you watch it, the more you pick up on some of the more subtle jokes. The 1st time i ever saw this was a huge belly laugh. Fish called Wanda had one excellent moment, when the guy with the stutter suddenly lost the stutter re: Cathcott Towers? classic moment. but that apart, pretty poor fayre, I agree.
    Come on! What about the fabulous scene when KK and JLC are in Archie's house and his wife returns unexpectedly? That's comedy at it's best - all give fantastic performances especially KK and Maria Aitken..."well that's as maybe Mr Morganchristensomeson" (I paraphrase)!

As for Clockwise, I'll have to watch it again as I remember it as being appallingly unfunny the first time.

Liked
    0 times
    Come on! What about the fabulous scene when KK and JLC are in Archie's house and his wife returns unexpectedly? That's comedy at it's best - all give fantastic performances especially KK and Maria Aitken..."well that's as maybe Mr Morganchristensomeson" (I paraphrase)!

As for Clockwise, I'll have to watch it again as I remember it as being appallingly unfunny the first time.
    Oh yes, I had forgotten that scene! Very funny. But clockwise was the better one by far for me. I'll go and re-run Wanda, you go to re run clockwise!?

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I can remember watching Clockwise when I was very young and getting excited because I recognised the locations that were used in Grimsby. I should really watch it again now that I am more likely to understand it. Plus, John Cleese is a superb actor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast