Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Blind Spot is a remake of Blackout with Max. Apart from not having Max in the lead the remake is actually a better film. The direction is tighter and the script has been tinkered with so that it makes for a more logical storyline. Having said that, I still prefer Blackout.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Bozopolis']II disagree with many of the examples, "The Thing", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", and "Scarface" where I feel that the original is clearly better.

Sometimes, even though it follows more closely to the book, the remake just can't compare to the original. I could never get through the latest The Thing, even though it was more accurate. This 1951 version was one of the most scream-producing films of that era.

Never saw the last Body Snatchers, but I can't see how it could add up to the first one.

Also, although I never read the Four Feathers novel, I think Heath Ledger's film was more accurate--but the 1939 (?) Alexander Korda version was spectacular. Was there ever a lovelier lady than the now-forgotten June Duprez?

I also forgot to mention The Shining. I sat through the television version, and it was lackluster--lacking Jack Nicholson, of course. Probably the original one wouldn't have been as 'shining' without his presence.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']Very much so .... the real villain of the piece was Christian who behaved something like a 'spoilt brat' when challenged by Bligh over his conduct. Bligh was strict, but no worse than many other naval officers of the time. The naval enquiry criticised him for 'an excess of zeal' but otherwise cleared him of wrong-doing.

The Howard-Brando version is my favourite, mainly for the Christian:Bligh exchanges, but it bears little relation to the real events.

The Brando version is my favorite as well. It's a flawed masterpiece imo.

Liked
    255 times
    name='James Fox']The Brando version is my favorite as well. It's a flawed masterpiece imo.

Agreed .... it is a fine film, very unfairly maligned by some.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Gary D.']Was there ever a lovelier lady than the now-forgotten June Duprez?

Forgotten? Not by many of us and not by all the people who bought the recently release Criterion DVD of The Thief of Bagdad

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='SirOllyBolly']Is it possible not to like a film Errol Flynn has been in?

He could have been a much better actor had he taken himself more seriously. You have only to read his autobiography (My Wicked, Wicked Ways) and some other bios detailing his life to realize that. His idol was John Barrymore, who died an old man at sixty (younger than Harrison Ford). Flynn's liver gave out ten years earlier than Barrymore's, at fifty!

He was surprisingly good in Kim, when he was rapidly going downhill. Dean Stockwell, of course, was the actor. I'm glad Disney didn't get its hands on Kipling's novel, and mangle it, as they usually do.

My favorite Flynn role was in those Elizabethan films he made--The Sea Hawk, Elizabeth and Essex, etc.

Liked
    255 times
    name='Gary D.']He could have been a much better actor had he taken himself more seriously.

Flynn did take himself seriously as an actor but Warner Bros knew his films made more money for them if Flynn was 'fighting or fucking' (Jack Warner), so continued to put him in action films.

When on loan out he made such films as The Forsyte Saga and Kim where he proved he could act.

His later, much heralded, performances in The Sun Also Rises, Too Much Too Soon and The Roots of Heaven were preceded by excellent performances in such potboilers as The Big Boodle and Mara Maru, his tired body and persona adding much weight and conviction to his portrayals of men at the end of their tether.

Flynn suffered greatly due to type-casting and this led to him becoming bored with film making and his subsequent sleep-walking through several films.

A true star whose talent was wasted.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='Gary D.']

Also, although I never read the Four Feathers novel, I think Heath Ledger's film was more accurate--but the 1939 (?) Alexander Korda version was spectacular. Was there ever a lovelier lady than the now-forgotten June Duprez?

I suspect I'm alone in favouring the 50s remake Storm Over the Nile purely because that's the only version where James Robertson Justice recreates Balaclava at the dinner table with a pineapple

Liked
    0 times
    name='dremble wedge']I suspect I'm alone in favouring the 50s remake Storm Over the Nile purely because that's the only version where James Robertson Justice recreates Balaclava at the dinner table with a pineapple

You have raised my curiosity. I didn't realize there was a follow-up to the 1939 Four Feathers--just the one that caqme out a few years ago.

James Robertson Justice was always a favorite--I recall he was in Bogarde's Doctor in the House films--what was it, Sir Lancelot? It's despite for me also to imagine anyone else playing Edward VII except him, and I can't recall which film this was in. I seem to recall that Timothy West did a credible job as well.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='Gary D.']You have raised my curiosity. I didn't realize there was a follow-up to the 1939 Four Feathers--just the one that caqme out a few years ago.

James Robertson Justice was always a favorite--I recall he was in Bogarde's Doctor in the House films--what was it, Sir Lancelot? It's despite for me also to imagine anyone else playing Edward VII except him, and I can't recall which film this was in. I seem to recall that Timothy West did a credible job as well.

There's a perfectly serviceable 1970s version of The Four Feathers with Beau Bridges, Robert Powell and Jane Seymour.

JRJ played Edward in the 60s version of Mayerling.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Steve Crook']What a shame it never happened

But what about that other remake of IKWIG ... The Birds (1963)

A spoilt, rich young woman heads for a rural community and meets a young man. While there, she stays at the house of a second woman who she believes may have been in a relationship with the young man, but it transpires was not. Due to the forces of nature, she is forced to remain in the community long enough to fall in love.

They even both have killer birds in, IKWIG has Torquil the Golden eagle

Steve

The Birds, very good film.When I lived in San Fransisco I always planned to go to Bodega Bay but never got around to it. Still time I suppose

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='batman']Let's make Love and Lilacs in the Spring are baaad!

I love Lilacs in the Spring - it's got all Anna Neagle's greatest hits in it and means you don't actually have to watch any of her other films

Liked
    0 times
    name='dremble wedge']There's a perfectly serviceable 1970s version of The Four Feathers with Beau Bridges, Robert Powell and Jane Seymour.

JRJ played Edward in the 60s version of Mayerling.

I can't see Beau Bridges in Four Feathers. Even Jane Seymour doesn't stack up to June Duprez, but, of course, I am a fan of June's. I'm glad she's is not forgotten, or so I am assured by this U.K. group.

As for Mayerling, I didn't catch it until a few years ago, and I was surprised that it was good--or, at least, it was a beautiful film. Even Omar Sharif came across as the eccentric Rudolf. Ava Gardner, despite her beauty, was of a more lush beauty than the Empress Elisabeth, who, by the time of her only son's suicide, was very slim--not like Ava. James Mason also came across as sufficiently crusty for Franz Josef.

If it were remade, I am not sure--Edward Fox as Kaiser Franz Josef? For Rudolf?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    There's a superb retelling of the Mayerling story in the Fall Of Eagles episode Requiem for a Crown Prince which takes place in the 24 hours after the suicides and is all about the various attempts at cover-up operations that went on at court - the lovers don't feature though a major character is the girl's mother, also the prince's mistress.

Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']There's a superb retelling of the Mayerling story in the Fall Of Eagles episode Requiem for a Crown Prince which takes place in the 24 hours after the suicides and is all about the various attempts at cover-up operations that went on at court - the lovers don't feature though a major character is the girl's mother, also the prince's mistress.

I don't believe this was on U.S. television, because it's something I would have enjoyed seeing.

I note that Rachel Gurney played Empress Elisabeth--she was Lady Marjorie in Upstairs, Downstairs, and after she went down with the Titanic, I lost interest in the series. I also see that Rachel passed away--a loss to both sides of the Atlantic.

Liked
    0 times
    Is it heresy to admit preferring Soderbergh's Solaris to Tarkovsky's?

Liked
    255 times
    name='zamzoom']Is it heresy to admit preferring Soderbergh's Solaris to Tarkovsky's?

Nope .... I like them both and Soderbergh's is more accessible for non-Tarkovsky fans.

Liked
    0 times
    One film I wish they would cease and desist from remaking is The Prince and the Pauper. My gosh, how many times do they have to redo it? Of course, there's no royalties that have to be paid to long-dead Samuel Clemons.

The Mauch Twins were bad enough, but pretty close in age, I suppose. But wasn't it an anachronism when young Edward referred to his ogre father, Henry VIII, as 'my dad'? Makes me wonder when that term came into general use.

Rex Thompson and his total unlookalike Johnny Washbrook (sp?) did it for U.S. television way back when. One would have to be a Mr. Magoo to not be able to tell them apart.

Then Mark Lester redid it, and he was about 18, even though Edward VI died at 16.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeremy and Jason London didn't come out with their version, since they are identical twins--way too old, of course.

Since then, remakes keep popping up, right and left. I suppose, it's one way to keep the unfortunate young king's name alive.

T

Liked
    4 times
    I much prefer High Society to The Philadelphia Story, but I suspect many would disagree. And I await the re-make of My Fair Lady (K.Knightlly and D.Day-Lewis) with trepidation.

Senior Member Country: United States Lord Lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Alec Harvey']The Richard Burton version of 1984 was miles ahead of the 1955 film with Edmond O'Brien

There's also an old TV version with Peter Cushing. I downloaded it but yet to watch it so the jury is still out

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast