Liked
    0 times
    Anyone bewtiched by these in the childhood or even adulthood for that matter.

I recall that my older brother used to read them and swap them with his mates, I became very obsessed with them and many other DC comics titltes from the age of nine.

There used to be a newsagents near me called Pattersons, the window would be choc full of these titles. "Jimmy Olsen," "Lois Lane." "Green Lantern."

My favourite DC comics were the 80 page giant editions which conatied previously published stories.

It wasnt just the stories that were enticing to me with DC, it was everything that went with it, marvelous little chunks of Americana, the famous ads at the back,"i Sell American Seeds Every Year," and Aurora model making kits that you couldnt get over here, the readers letters and the black uk price stamp.

Round about 1969 when the Batman series was shown on Htv, I noted as a nine year old that the Batman comics were getting very hip I assume that they were trying to compete with Marvel who were not quite as alluring to me as the DC stable of super heroes.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    My father and uncles had a big box of these comics that I used to read when I was a kid growing up in the late 70s, early 80s.

Still love old comic books--both DC and Marvel. Years later when I did some work for "Cracked Magazine" one of my pieces was illustrated by Dick Ayers who was a famous Marvel Comics artist back in the 60s and 70s.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times

I loved the British comics more but did get into the Superman and Batman comics in my early teens.

Apart from the exciting stories I used to just love the smell of each new American comic.

That smell still brings back memories for me.

I'm sure others will understand what I'm saying.

Dave.

Liked
    1 times
    The Green Hornet, Batman, Superman etc, etc

They always had ads on the back, US civil war soldier sets that you couldn't order...............

Ah! Happy days!!

Liked
    0 times
    name='David Brent']

I loved the British comics more but did get into the Superman and Batman comics in my early teens.

Apart from the exciting stories I used to just love the smell of each new American comic.

That smell still brings back memories for me.

I'm sure others will understand what I'm saying.

Dave.

I collected British comics too, Dandy and Beano, Valiant. I was in Gretna Green whilst on a coach holiday in Scotland the other week and found some great figurines of Dandy and Beano characters such as Korky the Cat, I didnt buy them but they looked really good.

Like yourself I used to like the smell of American comics and also new paperbacks and new records.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times

It's Sean Connery in Zardoz!

Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']

It's Sean Connery in Zardoz!

Very true, Bats!

Where DO SuperVillains get all those thigh-high boots?

I loved Batman/Superman/Spiderman/Phantom comics as a child! Back in the days of The Book Exchange stores when you could support a habit on very megre pocket money, indeed.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Wicked Lady'] Very true, Bats!

Where DO SuperVillains get all those thigh-high boots?

I loved Batman/Superman/Spiderman/Phantom comics as a child! Back in the days of The Book Exchange stores when you could support a habit on very megre pocket money, indeed.

........and how sexy was Lois Lane in the comics.

A bit different to the Lois as depicted on television.

Dave.