Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Does anyone remember this sitcom from the early 70's? I think it ran for either 2 or 3 seasons and starred Irene Handl and Wilfred Pickles. A film was also made, which I have on dvd, but as far as I know, the series has never been released, unless anyone knows different?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I remember it too! It was a lovely series.

I knew there was a connection with a grave yard - Walter Bingley (Wilfred Pickles), was a gravedigger.

Wikipedia says:

This gentle sitcom starred Irene Handl as Ada Cresswell a Cockney pensioner widow who lives with her daughter Ruth Pollitt (Barbara Mitchell) and son-in-law Leslie Pollitt (Jack Smethurst).

Ada starts a relationship with Walter Bingley (Wilfred Pickles), the gravedigger who buried her husband, after meeting him at the cemetery while laying flowers on her husband's grave. Walter is a stout Yorkshireman whose relationship with Ada slowly changes from one of companionship to one of romance. They get engaged and later marry after which they move in together at his cemetery lodge abode.

Ada is prone to using malapropisms which Irene Handl uses to good effect. In essence this show is about a burgeoning romance between elderly people and the bumps along the way.

For The Love Of Ada (Summary) says:

Ada Creswell (Irene Handl) is a widow and Walter Bingley (Wifred Pickles) is the gravedigger who buried her husband. The couple become friendly and a relationship gradually develops.

Ada's daughter, Ruth Polliter (Barbara Mitchell) lives next door with her husband, Leslie (Jack Smethurst).

Ruth and Leslie don't really approve of Ada's involvement with Walter, but they have to accept that they can't do anything to prevent them from seeing one another.

The first series deals with the developing relationship between Ada and Walter. In the second series, they make wedding plans and start saving up for the big day, which finally comes at the end of the series.

Series: 4

Episodes: 27

Transmitted: 1970-71

Channel: ITV

Thames Television

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    name='PaulT']Yes, I remember it too! It was a lovely series.

I knew there was a connection with a grave yard - Walter Bingley (Wilfred Pickles), was a gravedigger.

Yes, that featured prominently in one episode where Walter goes to ask for a pay rise to help pay for their wedding, and gets made redundant instead. Ada gets a job as an attendant in the ladies toilet (at the Town Hall I think), much to her daughter's horror, when she bumps into her mother at work!!

I also remember the episode where Walter and Leslie "forge" a birthday card to Ada from the Queen ..... "If ever you are passing the castle, do pop in"

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there,

If interested I have the complete first 3 series plus 2 or 3 eps of series 4

Best wishes

The Doc.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the film if interested in a trade

Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for your message Harry, but I have the film. Cheers.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='The Doc']Hi there,

If interested I have the complete first 3 series plus 2 or 3 eps of series 4

Best wishes

The Doc.

I'd be interested i these m8---let me know

Liked
    2 times
    I'd still love a copy of this series, just can't find it anywhere, watched the film again last night.

Liked
    0 times
    just watched the film on film 24 this morning and done a bit of research i didnt realise there was four series of this made with a xmas special as well.if anyone got any on dvd love to trade with you.

Liked
    0 times
    I've got all the episodes that were repeated on UK Gold if interested. They didn't run the last few episodes of the final series, but it's a lovely comedy.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I would love to see this series. The cast is great and I'm always interested in watching the chemistry develop between actors, notably in sitcoms (and especially if Barbara Mitchell's involved). The Doc has given me the good news that all episodes survive and with Father, Dear Father and And Mother Makes Three, also from that era, available on DVD, let's hope we can look forward to For The Love Of Ada being released too.

Incidentally, in case anyone missed it, this programme had some 'Then And Now' photos illustrated in Britmovie's Location section recently.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Arthur Linden-Jones']I also remember the episode where Walter and Leslie "forge" a birthday card to Ada from the Queen ..... "If ever you are passing the castle, do pop in"

Yes!

Liked
    2 times
    I have 18 episodes of this great series spanning 3 DVD's.