Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I dont think the Good Old Days has been repeated for many years, it would be nice if BBC 4 showed an episode or two on one of their retro telly evenings.

I did watch it as a youngster but in those days I didnt really appreciate the concept of old time music hall in the way that I do now.

There was a always a seaonal edition usually on Christmas Day normally featuring Danny La Rue.

It would be interesting to know if there are many editions of the programme left in the archives.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    That would be splenDIFerously, (ooh) DAZZlingly, (aah) SUMPtuously magnificent!

Liked
    0 times
    As we speak I am donning a handlebar moustache and period costume as I pose as an Good Old Days audience member. Any minute now I am going to call in the neighbours for a rousing rendtion of "Down At The old bull and bush."

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    A few years back quite a few episodes were shown on uk Gold and the Beeb obviously have quite a few in their vaults. In addition clips have been shown from time to time in documentaries proving that material does exist.

Liked
    0 times
    ...but chiefly YOURSELVES !!! (theatre erupts in thunderous applause as Leonard strikes his gavel with a flourish)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Loved the show....

Larry Grayson, Barbara Winsor, but chiefly YOURSELVES !!

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    I remember seeing Leonard Sachs performing in a little theater, somewhere near Waterloo Station! In fact I went several times to see his show.

John Llewellyn

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='John Llewellyn Moxey']I remember seeing Leonard Sachs performing in a little theater, somewhere near Waterloo Station! In fact I went several times to see his show.

John Llewellyn

Would that have been The Players Theatre?? The larger song and dance routines on the show always seemed to be performed by members of said establishment....

Liked
    45 times
    name='penfold']Would that have been The Players Theatre?? The larger song and dance routines on the show always seemed to be performed by members of said establishment....

Thank you! Memories need jogging sometimes.

John

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Would that be under the Arches in Villiers Street, Charing Cross?

Liked
    45 times
    name='Wee Sonny MacGregor']Would that be under the Arches in Villiers Street, Charing Cross?

It was...Thanks

John

Liked
    0 times
    name='John Llewellyn Moxey']I remember seeing Leonard Sachs performing in a little theater, somewhere near Waterloo Station! In fact I went several times to see his show.

John Llewellyn

Thanks for posting this John, apart from the odd tv and film cameo I havent seen much of Leonards Sachs acting work.

Liked
    0 times
    I was also a big fan of The Good Old Days mainly because it always seemed such a lot of fun both for the cast and the audience and also for Leonard Sachs who I consider made the show his own.

In December I have been proposed for the task of presenting an Old Time Music Hall extravaganza in my little village in North Wales, a task I am looking forward to with some trepidation.

I was hoping to view some examples of The Old Time Music Hall online to assist me in my presentation but am having problems finding and accessing any.

If anyone has suggestions I would be very grateful.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I remember an episode in which Arthur Mullard did his adaption of It's A Great Big Shame - originally performed by Gus Elen.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Alan Wilde']I was also a big fan of The Good Old Days mainly because it always seemed such a lot of fun both for the cast and the audience and also for Leonard Sachs who I consider made the show his own.

In December I have been proposed for the task of presenting an Old Time Music Hall extravaganza in my little village in North Wales, a task I am looking forward to with some trepidation.

I was hoping to view some examples of The Old Time Music Hall online to assist me in my presentation but am having problems finding and accessing any.

Hi Alan, (or anybody else out there)

If you found out anything, I'd be very grateful for a PM, as I am now in exactly the same position as you were. Except it's near Salisbury - we open in Feb!!

edward

Liked
    1 times
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loeFxQkeN0c&feature=related"]YouTube- Frankie Vaughan on The Good Old Days[/ame] [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULr3r5KAHpE&feature=related"]YouTube- Barry Cryer & Bernard Cribbins on The Good Old Days[/ame] [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJ3zlTdwI8&feature=related"]YouTube- Barry Cryer on The Good Old Days[/ame] [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUzRVQkAGs4"]YouTube- Bernard Cribbins & Miss Bertice Redding on The Good Old Days[/ame]

All good clean fun Couldn't find a Ken Dodd one, though

Member Country: England ILoveThe70s's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Alan Wilde']I was also a big fan of The Good Old Days mainly because it always seemed such a lot of fun both for the cast and the audience and also for Leonard Sachs who I consider made the show his own.

As you will realise from the previous post, there are clips from The Good Old Days on YouTube. It would also be worth watching 'A Little of What You Fancy'. A film in the form of a documentary; not sure if it was ever shown in cinemas. The film traces the history of music hall and includes a derelict site somewhere near Waterloo Station, from where it is claimed, it all began.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Alan,

This sounds like a great idea.

I fondly remember the original programme from my younger days and loved the Variety format and the celebration of music hall. It was a brilliant idea to invite the audience to dress up in period costume and gave the show a unique sense of fun and made sure that the audeience were an important part of the show. How many shows these days show the audience to the same degree (and an audience clearly having a great time)? It would also be great to see the TV shows repeated and see the greta Leonard Sachs in full voice once more....

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Even for an old man that style of show has gone. The series is a record of old style entertainment and is a valuable historical record but other than one specimen 'Best Of' presentation I can see no purpose. Where does one draw the line in exhumations?

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    The only reason you need is that you like it!

There is so much dross on TV nowadays that there can often be more life in an "exhumed" show anyway....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast