Liked
    0 times
    Hi All

Can someone PLEASE help me with a play I'm trying to find. It was shown sometime in the early 70's and revolves around the eve of a shipyard closure and only the nightwatchman and a few friends are left, everyone else being made redundant. In the morning the last ship that they are guarding will be launched by some bigwig and they will also then join their colleagues on the dole. However, as a last 2 fingers to the bosses they decide to launch the ship themselves that night. Deliciouos! Just appeals to my sense of humour. Anything that you can remember will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Charlie

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    This sounds like Just a Boy's Game which I saw when it was broadcast and taped it years later - it was one of the best Play for Todays, made in 1979 starring a one-time real pop star, Frankie Miller ... very powerful and violent (well, this was 1979, the Beeb was making stuff like Gangsters) it also showed Scottish working class life warts and all.

Brilliantly cataloguing the time - a dock's worker takes his radio into his crane to do no work all day, after his kids are given a diet of watching test-card tv for breakfast - it also reveals that Rab C Nesbitt started life as a character in Play for Today played by Gregor Fisher. Try and get a copy of it somehow....

"Play for Today" Just a Boys' Game (1979)

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    But then again...on reading Charlie's note I probably got this wrong - however it IS a good play for today!

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I bought this recently but haven't yet got round to watching it.

So many DVDs so little time!

Available from all good emporia as either a single disc or as part of this 5-disc collection for not mucn more.

Contains three Play for Today titles: Just Another Saturday, The Elephant's Graveyard, Just A Boy's Game, and a Screen One drama; Down Among the Big Boys.

DVD EXTRA: An exclusive programme, Razor Sharp, written and presented by Scottish writer, Simon Farquhar, exploring the work and life of Peter McDougall. Featuring a rare interview with Peter, and Jon Morrison - star of Just Another Saturday and The Elephant's Graveyard.

Liked
    0 times
    I Have all Peter McDougall Films even Just Your Luck and Down Where The Buffalo Go whcih have recently been released