Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    it has just got to be THIS HAPPY BREED

the acting is spot on kay walsh is superb ,celia johnson is just brilliant,a young john mills is also excellent & who can forget the brilliant duo of stanley holloway and robert newton.

the sets are excellent a all together excellent movie and a classic example of british movies.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, This Happy Breed is such a fabulous film - I find the speeches pretty infuriating at times (such as the speech to the son on his wedding morning about not letting his wife find out if he ever has any indescretions)... but the acting of all involved lifts the film into something very special. Robert Newton and Celia Johnson are wonderful - and Stanley Holloway!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    It'd be nice if Celia Johnson smiled occasionally

Then again, she doesn't have much to smile about

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Love this film, I believe it has also been performed as a play.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    An early David Lean Film and the quintessential view of the typical English lower middle class family. Simply wonderful!

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I really like this film but watched it so many times now I am beginning to feel that I`m in it!

Liked
    1 times
    fabulous performance from Robert Newton

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    tremendous film

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Another one of those films every lover of British films should own.

I never tire of watching it.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Fans of strike-breaking will especially appreciate Robert Newton's advice to his son during the 1926 sequence. There are, IMO, much better though less well-known, films about the lower classes at work and play.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett
    Fans of strike-breaking will especially appreciate Robert Newton's advice to his son during the 1926 sequence. There are, IMO, much better though less well-known, films about the lower classes at work and play.
    That's a fair point, though I suspect that such views were pretty common among those who may have felt that they'd "dragged" themselves up a level or two.

Seriously, I'd like to know which films you might suggest , Captain W.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain CALF28's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett
    Being a great fan of 'This Happy Breed' I also enjoyed 'Salute John Citizen' with Edward Rigby. I'm not sure if it's better but it has a similar(ish) theme. Well worth a watch.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    I love this Film too!........being in Colour makes all the difference, love the bickering scenes and banter between the characters played by Amy Veness and Alison Leggat

Liked
    1 times
    I love it bacause some of the panning shots across the back gardens give me an idea of what my Grandfather's London house would've been like.

A very different place to now.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    I may have missed something along the line, but in the Movie is the location of the Family's house ever mentioned?

Clapham and Leyton come to mind, but I recall Kay Walsh's character in a scene when she says she's fed up with her lot, such as traveling by Tube to Work, but the Tube didn't go to Leyton before World War II

Liked
    0 times
    Can never see "This Happy Breed" without wincing. Coming from London's Whitechapel Road, somewhat below the family's lower middle class position, I understood perfectly what Queenie was trying to get away from. A bit like watching The Cruel Sea. If you had ever been in a corvette (and I don't mean the car) (and I assume none of you were) you can hardly help your hair rising. Too damned realistic.

Ted, Ottawa

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O
    I may have missed something along the line, but in the Movie is the location of the Family's house ever mentioned?

Clapham and Leyton come to mind, but I recall Kay Walsh's character in a scene when she says she's fed up with her lot, such as traveling by Tube to Work, but the Tube didn't go to Leyton before World War II
    I'm fairly sure it's Clapham simply because that's where Coward comes from and according to IMDB the outside of the house was filmed there. I don't think it's specified in the script though. Coward repeated his stage performance for a tv version in 1956 - anyone know if it survives?

Like ted I dislike the way Queenie has to be punished for wanting to live above her station, just as the son (Reg?) has to be pressurised into assimilating his father's politics (and punished in a rather more drastic way). Watch Millions Like Us instead.

Liked
    0 times
    Love this film, it is also a play and currently on the London Fringe if you want to catch it.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Have been after this film - Salute John Citizen - for some time, any idea how I can get a copy please?

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    Is this the film where one woman says to another, something like, "So help me, one more word from you and I'll slap you so hard I'll make your teeth rattle!"

If not, it should be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast