Liked
    0 times
    This is my very favourite book, and I know there's a film with Richard Attenborough as Percy Boone. It was on TV recently but I wasn't in England. Is it as good as the book? The write-up on the film site doesn't make it sound so good, since Percy's story was only one of very many threads, as the film deals with the lives of a lot of people all lodging in the same London house. Shall I keep my illusions?

Liked
    0 times
    I agree, a superb film, in my opinion the subplot and full supporting cast make it the closest yet to a British Capra film.

Especially Alastair Sim at the seance as a llama with friends amongst the "birds and snow flowers?"

Catch it if you can

Liked
    0 times
    Yvonne, just reread your original posting and question, unfortunately I haven't read the book but I would suggest that it does follow the plot as time and energy are well spent on the numerous threads.

In particular, getting the clock fixed on Monday, the old dear who can't afford the rent, the seance scam, Percy's sorry tale, the detective's love life, the Uncle, the parade etc etc.

As I said earlier a real Capraesque beauty.

Have the team behind it made any others worth watching?

Liked
    0 times
    I've just remembered another bit The Christmas dinner.

Liked
    0 times
    Detective's love life? That must be something new. His name was Todds and he was lodging with the Jossers and pretending to work at Battersea Power Station while keeping an eye on Percy but he didn't have a love life in the book. You didn't mention Doris (Josser), boyfriend Bill the medical student, and her brother Ted, married to the blonde usherette Cynthia or Mr Puddy the nightwatchman, but it sounds like a great film if they were in it or not. Thank you for telling me about it. It will be worth buying a replacement video recorder for, since I don't suppose it will ever be on DVD.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Maybe it borrowed, maybe other films borrowed from it. It's not unusual. Have a look at the way that, in The Ladykillers, Alec Guinness goes up to the door of the lodging house and how his shadow is seen through the windows in the door. Then compare that to Alastair Sim as Squales in London Belongs to Me and the way that he acts at the door of the lodging house. Guinness gave such a good tribute that often people think that Alastair Sim was in The Ladykillers.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, the similarity between Sim and Guinness (in The Ladykillers) had never occurred to me, but now you mention it, it's quite obvious.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rattigan
    Yes, the similarity between Sim and Guinness (in The Ladykillers) had never occurred to me, but now you mention it, it's quite obvious.
    I seem to remember that Sim was first choice for the Professor Marcus role but declined.

Jack

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jack case
    I seem to remember that Sim was first choice for the Professor Marcus role but declined.

Jack
    That rumour may have started because Guinness is doing such a good impersonation of Alastair Sim. The biography by Sim's wife (Dance and Skylark by Naomi Sim) doesn't mention any suggestion that Alastair was ever going to play it. Just that they were amused by the way that everybody thought that he was in it.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I'v never seen the 1948 "LONDON BELONGS TO ME" only the 1977 TV series. Madge Ryan's proformance of Mrs. Vizzard springs to mind, but then she never lets you down. A couple of other similar films I'd like to see are "DANCING WITH CRIME" 1947 and "EIGHT O'CLOCK WALK" 1954 which I think both have Attenboroug sweating out a verdict.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello,

Just watched the dvd of this - I understand that there was a Tv production (ITV) several years ago - anyone have any info please - thanks.

ianjh

Would have posted this in the Tv section but i'm barred because i'm not an established user although i was previously registered as wasim6oc and lost my password due to a computer failure.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember seeing it at the time and felt it held up well against the film version.

"London Belongs to Me" (1977)