Liked
    0 times
    opened in scope, sky scene, birds twittering, small blob in the distance getting nearer and the this jet flies "over your heads"

any ideas on title please? (it's not Sound Barrier)

TIA

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times

Liked
    0 times
    name='dylan']Conflict of Wings (1954) ?

D.

sorry no. Just been given additional info. It was set in the states. HTH

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    The Right Stuff?

Liked
    0 times
    name='manager']opened in scope, sky scene, birds twittering, small blob in the distance getting nearer and the this jet flies "over your heads"

TIA

mid to late 50's

Liked
    0 times
    any other takers??

Liked
    0 times
    name='manager']opened in scope, sky scene, birds twittering, small blob in the distance getting nearer and the this jet flies "over your heads"

TIA

Bit of a cliche really - that shot. They even borrowed it for Star Wars! If it's set in the states, might it be a US film? Perhaps John Wayne's Jet Pilot?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Could well be JET PILOT as that shot is very familiar to me, but I don't have my copy to hand to check. The film was shot in academy ratio by director Josef von Sternberg, though when eventually released in cinemas it was shown in Superscope, a non-anamorphic faux widescreen (2:1) format, that just matted off the top and bottom of the picture. I'm pretty sure the laserdisc presents the film unmatted as originally intended, while the DVD crops the image to something like 1.85:1; it's quite possible TV showings were of a superscope print the credits of which was shown letterboxed with the bulk of the film cropped even more.

Liked
    0 times
    name='asiamiles']Could well be JET PILOT as that shot is very familiar to me, but I don't have my copy to hand to check. The film was shot in academy ratio by director Josef von Sternberg, though when eventually released in cinemas it was shown in Superscope, a non-anamorphic faux widescreen (2:1) format, that just matted off the top and bottom of the picture. I'm pretty sure the laserdisc presents the film unmatted as originally intended, while the DVD crops the image to something like 1.85:1; it's quite possible TV showings were of a superscope print the credits of which was shown letterboxed with the bulk of the film cropped even more.

Took me three readings to get a grip on the above - I'm pathetically ignorant when it comes to screening ratios! I think I have Jet Pilot, so I'll check out the opening scene (and the non-anamorphic faux whatsits).