Thread: The Sweeney

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    It's just my opinion, but The Sweeney was the top cop show in the history of British television. However, while it was popular Dixon Of Dock Green, it wasn't a patch on TS.

However, I think it reverses itself as far as the movie versions are concerned. The Sweeney and Sweeney 2 are entertaining enough, but they aren't a patch on the the hard hitting tv series. I also thought it a disgrace that Garfield Morgan wasn't allowed to reprise his role of Haskins in the movies. Possibly it wasn't as good, because John Thaw's Jack Regen and Dennis Waterman's Carter were taken out of their comfort zones and put into larger than life situations in an effort to make two blockbuster movies.

The Dixon movie The Blue Lamp is IMO humble opinion to date the best British cop movie ever made. For 1950 it was a hard hitting drama, but because it was in the 50s, the half hour tv show that followed about 5-yrs later was somewhat softer. I think it toughened up after Z-Cars appeared and likewise I think ZCs softened to over the yrs, to the point you couldn't tell the difference between the two shows. It's funny that Dirk Bogarde became internationally famous, after he killed George Dixon in the movie and Jack Warner, after bringing his character back from the dead became a tv superstar that the films hero Jimmy Hanley, was never able to build on his performance, eventually playing one of Noele Gordon's many boyfriends in the early Crossroads, before he died young.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart.scot
    It's just my opinion, but The Sweeney was the top cop show in the history of British television.
    Ahem *The Professionals*

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    The Professionals was also excellent, as was Morse, Frost, Taggart and others. I said The Sweeney, as it's my personal favourite. However, there are many other cop shows that would qualify as which was the best one.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree with the above comment I love The Sweeney and have all the episodes and the pilot episode Regan, however I do think The Proffesionals was an excellent show too.

In my opinion the two Sweeney films are not a patch on the series especially the 1st film, the 2nd is a lot better though.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    The Sweeney was the first series, I can recall, where the Police were shown in a warts-and-all fashion. It definitely wasn't cozy viewing. It was raw, hard-edged and violent. All these factors combined to make it the best.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EHV_Emmetts
    The Sweeney was the first series, I can recall, where the Police were shown in a warts-and-all fashion. It definitely wasn't cozy viewing. It was raw, hard-edged and violent. All these factors combined to make it the best.
    IIRC Z Cars was the first to show the police as real people as opposed to them all being warm and cuddly. The police were going to compaint to the Beeb about it until the yrealised how popular it was!

Senior Member Country: England Tom Bancroft's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Because of the fact that it's story line involved a young copper being transported back to the 'Sweeney days' in his mind, 'Life On Mars' was quite enjoyable with it's 'Reganesque' gaffer' and his unorthodox idea of policing bringing back memories of Regan and Carter. All this interestingly offset by the 'modern' cop trying to get him to tone down his behaviour.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart.scot

The Dixon movie The Blue Lamp is IMO humble opinion to date the best British cop movie ever made.
    For me what is more interesting about The Blue Lamp more than anything else is the position it takes when viewing the issues of police in society within the excellent on location camera work. The depiction of bobbies on the beat moving about in normal everyday civillan life is a treat to watch and very well done.

As far as hard-hitting dramas I think it's very weak when compared with what was going on over in the US at the time - they were doing this type of stuff with much more verve and passion.

Simon

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SirOllyBolly
    Ahem *The Professionals*
    I don't know that The Professionals has dated that well. The Sweeney has.

I used to adore The Professionals and here we were lucky enough to get it and The Sweeney as a double bill on tv.

But I watched a couple of episodes a while back and it seemed really, really clunky and out of date. And Martin Shaw's 'acting'!

I was just heartbroken.

The Sweeney, on the other hand, still looks quite fresh, even after 4 decades.