Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    UPDATE:

Women Of Twilight predated both Cosh Boy and The Yellow Balloon as an X film. It was classified X on September 10th, 1952 and released on February 23rd, 1953.

Liked
    0 times
    Remember that the X certificate was only an extension of the H certificate.I believe that for a period of time in the 50s they were both in existance but the H certificate was eventually phased out.

Liked
    98 times
    I always understood that the "H" certificate stood for Horror, but obviously, not all films that were very dramatic and serious and adult in theme were horror films, so I think that's why the "X" certificate was brought in. But even that was applied to the wrong films at times and there were examples where what was really needed was a certificate that lay somewhere inbetween an "A" and an "X". That's why the "AA" certificate was brought in during July, 1970 and films from the previous eighteen months that were originally rated "X" in 1968 / 1969, such The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie, were re-classified as "AA" in 1970.

Unfortunately, the BBFC website, while giving the original date for the classification of The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie, also give the later classification of "AA" instead of the original "X".

Liked
    0 times
    Just to say that till the introduction of the H and then X certificate anyone under 16 could see any film provided that they were accompanied by an adult for an A certificate.Howevere i believe thatin the 1930s some towns ,i believe Birmingham may be one,tried to impose restrictions on the cinema licence above and beyond that.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi,

It might be one of the films already mentioned, but I recall Dora Bryan in an interview referring to a film she was in about women possibly unmarried. I cannot state what the title was, but she did not seem to think highly of it, and was not surprised it got an 'X' certificate.

Alan French.

Liked
    98 times
    I think that would have been Women Of Twilight (1952)...one of the earliest X films, if not the first X film.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    I'd like to see a list of all the films awarded an 'H' certificate, also when it was first introduced and when it ended.

Anybody have such a list?

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Please don't rely too heavily on the BBFC data.A lot of it is incorrect..Im told a lot of the files were lost.I've seen many a mistake on listings with the certs.

And I was around in the film industry at the time with Customs examiners.

One of the very first to come under the hammer of cuts and awarded the X cert was the french film "La Ronde"..I was working at the cutting room at the time.

I remember the owner 'crying' while looking at the 'red' letter he had from the censor.

Another name in your list was the other french beauty about an outside mens urinal "Clochemerle",Britain was in shock with this...filth,disgust,ban it!

Although the "H" cert covered Horror films,it could also find it's way onto a subject,unfit for general purpose like "The Birth of a Baby"...or another way around the subject,would be a licence from someone like the London County Council of the time,and granting a film with a "A" (London).Perhaps a movie on the delights of V.D.

Whichever way,it was something youngster were banned from.Unless you put Dads raincoat on,pulled up the collar,and smoked a woodbine...and payed up front 1/9d.(feeling big)

You might avoid The Birth film though or something on V.D.where you would have nightmares for the rest of your life.Or be sick all the way home.

A couple of subjects missing from todays programmes...no they have moved to TV instead.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi Darrenburnfan,

Just seen your comments re WOMEN OF TWILIGHT. I have a feeling that was the film she was talking about.

I have not been so active lately on britmovie, as there have been a lot of things keeping me busy.

Alan French.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Looking back at the 'X's one sees how nieve and innocent most of us were. The current demand for freedom of choice and almost anything else in the name of private enterprise (could have put capitalism there) has drastically changed many attitudes for the worse.

Liked
    1 times
    This film was the first one with an 'x' certificate, has it ever been on television?
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 14-01-12 at 05:24 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sladdin View Post
    This film was the first one with an 'x' certificate, has it ever been on television?
    Has it got another title? I can't find it on IMDB
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 14-01-12 at 05:25 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Would it be an alternative title for 'Women of twilight' perhaps?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    There's nothing listed on the BBFC site with that title

Steve

Liked
    492 times
    The questioner seems to have lost interest but I haven't What was the first x-certificate film? I'd always thought it was Quatermas Xperiment but the BBFC site is silent on the subject

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I think there was an earlier thread that discussed whether Women of Twilight, The Yellow Balloon or Cosh Boy was the first X British film. The order of classification and of release may have been different for these films.

Liked
    1 times
    Cant remember where I saw this mentioned now, sure it was called life after tomorrow 1951 .Sorry for the confusion.

Liked
    1 times
    I found out where I saw it, it was in the Manchester Evening News from January 9th 2012, after searching through my paper bin ! It was in the On this day section 1951:Life After Tomorrow,the first film to receive an X rating in Britain,opened in London.

Liked
    492 times
    I found out where I saw it, it was in the Manchester Evening News from January 9th 2012, after searching through my paper bin ! It was in the On this day section 1951:Life After Tomorrow,the first film to receive an X rating in Britain,opened in London.
    Interesting. I've done a bit of a trawl through the Times and Manchester Guardian and can't find it mentioned. I wonder where the MEN got it from

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    David Quinlan's "The Studio Years" British Sound Films 1928 -1959 lists "Women of Twilight" as Britains first "X" certificate. It's USA title was Twilight Women. It lists nothing under Life after Tomorrow which makes me wonder if it was a line after the title from a poster advertising the film Women of Twilight as in "Dracula" the terrifying lover who died yet lived. Just a thought !!
    Last edited by cassidy; 17-01-12 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast