Liked
    151 times
    'Doctor Who' bound for the big screen?

New showrunner interested in a film based on the series

By Mimi Turner

Aug 24, 2008, 03:55 PM ET

EDINBURGH -- Sci Fi smash "Doctor Who" could be made into a movie, its new showrunner said. Steven Moffat, the award-winning scriptwriter who has taken over as the driving force behind the show following the departure of Russell T. Davies, said he was keen to see the Saturday evening show made into a feature film.

"It would be good to see it in the cinema so long as it is great and fantastic," he said, speaking at a master class on the show at the festival here. But he cautioned that the the movie would need careful handling.

"I'm not against it ... so long as it never gets in the way of the TV show. If it got in the way of the show that would be appalling."

Fans of the time lord series have been eager to see the show transition to the big screen ever since it was brought back to BBC1 four years ago. Almost 10 million viewers watched the season finale last month.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    The BBC version has Moffat making no objection rather than pushing for it

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Which 'A' list Hollywood star fot the Doc ? Matt Damon ?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Philip Seymour Hoffman?

Member Country: UK classic-odeon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Fans of the show will tell you that this topic raises it's head at every convention, and has done so since the 70's. However, the show has never been so popular, as this since the 60's, so maybe the time is right. I always loved the 2 Dalek outings with Peter Cushing as a child, and still do to this day. As for choice of Doctor, it would have to be David Tennant, the Kids and the Girls (and my Wife), thinks he's the bees knees!

Liked
    1 times
    God let's hope not - there's been too many compromises already since Doctor Who returned to our screens.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    I always thought that Michael Grade got it right the first time.............

DS x.

Member Country: UK classic-odeon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Rumours of the much discussed and anticipated big screen version of the Timelord Doctor have once again re-surfaced, to be played by none other than David Tennant. Tennant to star in Doctor Who: The Movie? - Yahoo! News UK

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    If they do one I think it would be better to keep it separate from TV. If they did several films it could cause problems if David Tennant has already regenerated into someone else. How would replace him in films? If they did big Hollywood film he could regenerate after each one - Tom Cruise in film 1, Leonardo DiCaprio in film 2 etc.

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Seems to vary per site that covers this from being confirmed and Tennant is definite to just the BBC have hinted at a movie and Tennant is rumoured to be in talks about it.

If they're to pick an actor from the TV series, Tennant would work far better as he's a better quality actor, at least for TV (Ecclestone probably has better film experience, but he wants nothing to do with the show). The new Doctor, Matt Smith is just a complete unknown at this stage.

However it's going to play havoc with continuity, so yes maybe it needs to be separate. After all the 60s films with Peter Cushing were independent of the show (though heavily based on two episodes).

There's always the option of setting it back in time, or they could do the Time War story, but then that's some time between McGann and Ecclestone.

I can't see it working though. Either this has to be a big Hollywood produced show which means it will be filmed and set in America, with US actors and probably end up being a lower budget Hollywood flick and be terrible. Or it's kept British all the way, which means a definite low budget and probably in development hell for the next 10 years.

Though on the Hollywood side I would like to see Warner get their hands on it. Always had a lot of respect for Warner and they do a good job, don't mess too much with British Institutions (e.g. Harry Potter), and are prepared to film in the UK, use British actors, etc.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not sure if there's any truth in it, but there was a rumour back in the late 1980s, I think when Sylvester McCoy was playing Dr. Who, that Hollywood wanted to make a film version but the BBC wouldn't give them permission as they had the rights to it. Does anyone recall this?

Like I say, more than likely it was nonsense, but this thread has reminded me of that story.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Carl V']I'm not sure if there's any truth in it, but there was a rumour back in the late 1980s, I think when Sylvester McCoy was playing Dr. Who, that Hollywood wanted to make a film version but the BBC wouldn't give them permission as they had the rights to it. Does anyone recall this?

Like I say, more than likely it was nonsense, but this thread has reminded me of that story.

I remember hearing that too, but chalked it up to just a rumor since I couldn't find anything verifying it.

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    name='DeadKenny']

Though on the Hollywood side I would like to see Warner get their hands on it. Always had a lot of respect for Warner and they do a good job, don't mess too much with British Institutions (e.g. Harry Potter), and are prepared to film in the UK, use British actors, etc.

Too much respect sometimes - they have let British talent effectively rob Batman! Could you just imagine how British would react if American writers, directors and actors moved in on Bond?

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='Wolfgang']Could you just imagine how British would react if American writers, directors and actors moved in on Bond?

Michael G Wilson? Richard Maibaum? Harry Saltzman? (Okay, he was Canadian)

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Wolfgang'] Could you just imagine how British would react if American writers, directors and actors moved in on Bond?

What about Cubby Broccoli? He was born in New York! Daughter Barbara is a native Californian. Maurice Binder, creator of those great title sequences, another New Yorker. Then there's Irvin Kershner from Philadelphia as well.