Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Someone wrote in a couple a weeks ago about the grey suit these actresses had worn in Vertigo-Kim Novak and The man who knew too much-Doris Day. That person thought it was the same suit. First of all.Doris Day and Kim Novak are not the same size. Kim Novak is taller. The man who knew too much was made in the latter part of 1955. Vertigo was made in 1958. The suits that they wore,although from a distance they resemble each one,they are different. The pockets are different. And,their is a four year difference between the two films.

Liked
    0 times
    Kim Novak thought that damn grey suit didn't go with her coloring--she fought and fought against it--but who could combat the Maestro, for long? He always had his way. Tippi Hedren still probably has nightmares about The Birds.

I thought Novak's clothing in Vertigo looks pretty good--although, even to my eye, the hemline is a tad long--what is it now, by the way? To my untrained, uncouth eye, a woman's hemline should end around mid-knee. I find the clothes worn in Vertigo and early 1960s films, since they are well designed, stand up.

I just finished a film (Head in the Clouds) set in the 1930s, early 1940s--made within the last five years--and all the women's clothes look period-authentic. During the 1950s, when they made a film set in the 1920s or 1930s, on the other hand, the clothes looked 1950s. Kim Novak in The Eddy Duchin Story, for example.

Speaking of Tippi Hedren, as above, she looks very much up-to-date in 1963's The Birds, as does Rod Taylor, for that matter.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh man. That is uncanny. If it's not the exact same suit, it's replicated. What does that say about Hitch? He was obsessed. He was cheap. Or both? Or was it the obsession of Edith Head?
    Last edited by Deb Leibowitz; 13-11-13 at 03:29 AM.

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    The suits are virtually identical with indistinguishable straight pockets and cuffs. Kim Novak's fits better. Although Edith Head did design the suit for both movies, it seems it was Hitchcock who insisted on the look much as Scottie did in Vertigo. It is suggested that this was to suggest a psychological dissonance since grey is not a blonde's color but others think it was more to do with Hitchcock's partiality for blondes in grey.

Tippi Hedren The Birds (1963)............................................ .....................Tippi Hedren Marnie (1964)
    Last edited by Heinrich; 13-11-13 at 05:41 AM.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    This is such an interesting aspect of Hitchcock. Not all directors want to control the world they've created right down to the stitching. And to extend the thread through so many films. I'm hoping I have time someday to study these sartorial fixations. Hitchcock had so much of the designer quality. His characters never got away from him. Not even into their closets. Grace Kelly's red dress in Dial M for Murder. Duplicates anywhere?