Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Anthony Hopkins (or someone similar) plays an English doctor in the countryside who is new in town and is a GP. He is treated with disrespect at first and finds it hard to adjust to country life. I thought it was A. Hopkins who played the doctor, but because I can't find it on IMDB i'm not so sure.

IT IS NOT anything to do with the Hannibal role.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Just a thought; are you thinking of the film version of 'All Creatures Great and Small'? The film (later a very successful TV series with a different cast) is about a new vet joining a country veterinary practice in the 1930's...,..Hopkins played Siegfried Farnon, the head of the practice, not the new vet, which was Simon Ward.....

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Definitely a film? A version of The Citadel? Or the remake of Dr Finlay's Casebook?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    That sounds like a sequence in Doctor at Large (1957) where Dr Sparrow (Bogarde) takes up an appointment in the country.

D.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I agree with penfold and would say it is All Creatures Great and Small and that the original poster has his medics muddled.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='penfold']Just a thought; are you thinking of the film version of 'All Creatures Great and Small'? The film (later a very successful TV series with a different cast) is about a new vet joining a country veterinary practice in the 1930's...,..Hopkins played Siegfried Farnon, the head of the practice, not the new vet, which was Simon Ward.....

I think you are correct!!

Thank you.

Thanks to all who replied.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times

Steve, you're the IMDB go-to man around here; why has IMDB got this as a TV movie?? It was a cinema hit, I saw it at the time of release....possibly the first grown-up film I saw at the flicks.

Liked
    492 times
    name='penfold']Steve, you're the IMDB go-to man around here; why has IMDB got this as a TV movie?? It was a cinema hit, I saw it at the time of release....possibly the first grown-up film I saw at the flicks.

Wasn't it made for the Hallmark Channel in the US or something like that? IMDB gives it's US release date as a tv premiere.

Liked
    255 times
    It was made by EMI and released in 1974 to cinemas ..... Hallmark were the US distributors and it's US premiere was in 1975 on TV. I would think that makes it a 'proper' film.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='CaptainWaggett;203924]
    name='penfold'']Steve, you're the IMDB go-to man around here; why has IMDB got this as a TV movie?? It was a cinema hit, I saw it at the time of release....possibly the first grown-up film I saw at the flicks.

Wasn't it made for the Hallmark Channel in the US or something like that? IMDB gives it's US release date as a tv premiere.

That's the reason. They go by the first public screening (excluding press screenings, trade shows and a few things like that) to determine how it will be classified. In this case, they show the release dates as:

USA 4 February 1975 (TV premiere)

UK 27 July 1975

As the US TV premiere was the first public screening (that they know of) it's classified as a TV movie

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    name='batman']It was made by EMI and released in 1974 to cinemas ..... Hallmark were the US distributors and it's US premiere was in 1975 on TV. I would think that makes it a 'proper' film.

If you can find anything that shows that it was released in cinemas in the UK at any time before 4 February 1975 then that can be added as a release date and it can be changed from a TV movie to a regular film

The BBFC passed it with an A certificate on 18 September 1974 - but when was it released to UK cinemas?

Steve

Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']If you can find anything that shows that it was released in cinemas in the UK at any time before 4 February 1975 then that can be added as a release date and it can be changed from a TV movie to a regular film

The BBFC passed it with an A certificate on 18 September 1974 - but when was it released to UK cinemas?

Steve

I remember seeing it as part of a Christmas school trip in 1974 ..... I know it was 1974 as it was my last Christmas at school. I left in 1975. Does that count?

Liked
    492 times
    The Times and the Daily Mirror both reviewed it on 9th May 1975.

Liked
    418 times
    name='batman']I remember seeing it as part of a Christmas school trip in 1974 ..... I know it was 1974 as it was my last Christmas at school. I left in 1975. Does that count?

It works for me - but the IMDb require a higher standard of proof. Like a reference to a dated listing or review of current films in a recognisable publication like a newspaper or magazine

Steve