Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Cliff Richard

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStranger View Post
    He should take the BBC to the cleaners.
    This is the UK, not America. We don't reach for lawyers for every little slight or injury.
    The only people who win by cases like that are the lawyers

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    There is also somewhere on the Britmovie database-or at least I thought there was-a Take Me High thread. Maybe it will turn up when I'm not bothering to look for it!
    There are mentions of Take Me High in the thread at Best Brummie Film

Try a Google search for "Take Me High" site:filmdope.com/forums to find others

Steve

Senior Member Country: England DeadlyStranger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    We don't reach for lawyers for every little slight or injury.
    didn't stop mcalpine did it? do you really think the camera coptors hovering over your house while the media intone darkly about historic sex crimes is a "little slight"?

yet again, we see good reason for the police to never name a suspect until charge in such reputation smearing cases

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Steve,
    If national media mentioned you in the same light, with the clearly implied suggestion being that you were an un-convicted paedophile would you have regarded it as a "slight"?
    I seriously doubt it.
    The reputational damage can never be undone, as some people will always lazily assume "There's no smoke without fire".

This is the UK, not America. We don't reach for lawyers for every little slight or injury.
    The only people who win by cases like that are the lawyers

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward G View Post
    Steve,
    If national media mentioned you in the same light, with the clearly implied suggestion being that you were an un-convicted paedophile would you have regarded it as a "slight"?
    I described as A slight. I didn't say anything about it was slight

But it's yet another reason why nobody should read newspapers

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    11 times
    Don't like his tunes,
    Never met him..BUT surely the man was grossly mistreated by both the fuzz and the BBC (take the license fee away)

Sue the bastards Cliff shut the BBC down

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Steve,
    You described it as a slight and that is exactly what I quoted.
    Your words :

"This is the UK, not America. We don't reach for lawyers for every little slight or injury.

Also it wasn't just newspapers that reported it - TV news dined out on it. Are you a compulsive controversialist or really this dismissive of someone's victimisation from the bloodhounds of the tabloids?
    The definition of a slight follows and it does not begin to describe what Cliff Richard endured :

To insult (someone) by treating or speaking of them without proper respect or attention.
    "he was desperate not to slight a guest".
    synonyms: insult, snub, rebuff, repulse, spurn, treat disrespectfully, give someone the cold shoulder, cold-shoulder, brush off, turn one's back on, keep at arm's length, disregard, ignore, cut (dead), neglect, take no notice of, disdain, scorn

I described as A slight. I didn't say anything about it was slight

But it's yet another reason why nobody should read newspapers

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    yeah i never saw the papers, but the bbc were there before the cops with their rolling vt

sinistar and disgraceful - he spent two years besmirched as the lowest of the low - time for another big bbc payout to charitable causes i reckon, lord knows they've got an endless supply of money from the telly tax anyway...

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I still can't get over the fact that million-pound helicopter had to be so expensively employed to hover over Richard's house for the TV evening news.

It's not as if the helicopter hovering overhead conveyed ANY information about police looking for scraps of documentary evidence of some kind of alleged human interaction from thirty or forty years ago.

This taxpayer-funded helicopter vision snooping into windows is just the same as a Peeping Tom!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/me...e-9684293.html

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    It seems to have been forgotten about by now, but way back in April, 1968, Cliff appeared in a dramatic role as Riley Walker in the Associated Rediffusion ITV Playhouse presentation A Matter of Diamonds. I remember watching it at the time and, although I can't remember the storyline now and there is no synopsis for it on the IMDb, I do remember thinking that Cliff looked somewhat uncomfortable in such a dramatic role after making all those musicals. Nevertheless, surely a candidate for a Network DVD release if it still exists in the archives.

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    I hope to goodness it doesn't rain this Wimbledon.

Liked
    98 times
    "Come on now, everyone, you all know the words: Got myself a cryin' talkin' sleepin' walkin' livin' doll".

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times

I notice that the police notified the press that they were about to raid Sir Cliff. Part of the recent cases about the press reading people's voicemails touched on bribes being paid to the police for this sort of information

It seems that we get the press and the police that we deserve. Steve
    Agreed. These stories generate sales, Internet hits, advertising revenue etc. If there was no audience from them there would not be any stories and the minute there is money involved then human behaviour becomes a little bit unsavoury. Trial by media is a sad reflection of modern society (actually it may well always have been thus)

Liked
    98 times
    There are a lot of people among the general public who want such allegations against anyone to be true so that they can slag off the accused and call for them to be locked up and the key thrown away. Facebook and YouTube are full of vitriolic comments by such people. They don't like it when the accused is pronounced innocent of all allegations because the fact that the accused didn't do anything is not exciting for them and innocent is boring, ect. However, that won't stop them, as they can always hoist up the flag pole that old standby clich� 'There's no smoke without fire'. This kind of attitude is not far removed from the closet gay man who hates himself for being gay and slags off all the gay people, hoping that he can encourage other homophobes to attack and kill gay people. In effect, he's simply attacking himself for being who he is and using other gay people as whipping boys. They don't fool me for one second.

Senior Member Country: UK eyeloveTV's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Never doubted it for a second. He has been treated disgracefully by the Police.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    There are a lot of people among the general public who want such allegations against anyone to be true so that they can slag off the accused and call for them to be locked up and the key thrown away. Facebook and YouTube are full of vitriolic comments by such people. They don't like it when the accused is pronounced innocent of all allegations because the fact that the accused didn't do anything is not exciting for them and innocent is boring, ect. However, that won't stop them, as they can always hoist up the flag pole that old standby clich� 'There's no smoke without fire'. This kind of attitude is not far removed from the closet gay man who hates himself for being gay and slags off all the gay people, hoping that he can encourage other homophobes to attack and kill gay people. In effect, he's simply attacking himself for being who he is and using other gay people as whipping boys. They don't fool me for one second.
    Strictly speaking, i don't don't think he been pronounced innocent, there is insufficient evidence to be confident about a conviction. In some respects it might have been better to have gone to trial and then been found not guilty.

On your wider point, these sort of opinionated conversations have always been with us it's just in the pre-Internet days they were usually reserved for pub conversations. The Internet has given a platform for these people go share their views with the world. The media cater for this market and you are right, there isn't a story unless someone has (allegedly) committed some indiscretion.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    It seems to have been forgotten about by now, but way back in April, 1968, Cliff appeared in a dramatic role as Riley Walker in the Associated Rediffusion ITV Playhouse presentation A Matter of Diamonds. I remember watching it at the time and, although I can't remember the storyline now and there is no synopsis for it on the IMDb, I do remember thinking that Cliff looked somewhat uncomfortable in such a dramatic role after making all those musicals. Nevertheless, surely a candidate for a Network DVD release if it still exists in the archives.
    Yes it does exist as IIRC it was shown at a 'Cliff' type thingy.

Liked
    98 times
    That's good news Bert. Maybe Network will consider releasing it.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamilton View Post
    Strictly speaking, i don't don't think he been pronounced innocent, there is insufficient evidence to be confident about a conviction. In some respects it might have been better to have gone to trial and then been found not guilty.

On your wider point, these sort of opinionated conversations have always been with us it's just in the pre-Internet days they were usually reserved for pub conversations. The Internet has given a platform for these people go share their views with the world. The media cater for this market and you are right, there isn't a story unless someone has (allegedly) committed some indiscretion.
    I read in one of the papers that one of Sir Cliff's accusers is actually in prison serving a sentence for rape and is apparently just after compensation. Jonathan King has said that when he was in prison, he met inmates who used to scour the papers for reports of vicars convicted of sexually molesting children and then claim to have been one of the vicar's victims in an attempt to claim a lot of compensation. When King told him that was a very unfair thing to do to someone that the inmate had never met, he was told that it was okay, as the vicar was already in jail, so one more charge would make no difference (!!!).

Liked
    0 times
    Diabolical.

Of course, one of his earliest pictures, touches on the matter:

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast