Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Richard

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    ha ha ha brilliant stuff!!! i was hoping someone would show the video in all it's glory-i'm useless with computers and e-mailing is the height of my ability!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Not a fan, but I always thought 'Miss you nights', 'Devil woman', and 'Carrie', were quite good songs.......

Liked
    100 times
    another wensleydale-coated video moment from cliff-at the end of 'mistletoe and wine' when the choirboy sings the closing solo,watch sir cliff adjust his collar/scarf in recognition of the falling snow.................i'm going to stop now as i'm beginning to sound like an expert on the works of sir cliff!!!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad
    another wensleydale-coated video moment from cliff-at the end of 'mistletoe and wine' when the choirboy sings the closing solo,watch sir cliff adjust his collar/scarf in recognition of the falling snow.................i'm going to stop now as i'm beginning to sound like an expert on the works of sir cliff!!!
    aargh!.......can't abide sickly Christmas songs like M&W, and 'Daddy's home', is a darn sight worse!

Though I recall his version of 'From a distance' which I quite like, as I recall the Bette Midler version flopped in Britain when first released before Cliff's, but became a major hit during the time of the Gulf War......

Liked
    100 times
    ha ha-i forgot about 'daddy's home'-pure cheddar with a sprinkling of parmesan!!

Liked
    0 times
    Heard on the radio this morning that Sir Cliff is bringing out a record next month in honour of his fifty years in the music biz, its called,"Thank You For A Lifetime." , hate to prejudge but I have a feeling in my water that it will have as much musical value as Milenium Prayer, Misteltoe and Wine, zilch. Just the thing to re-inforce the opinion of the cynics.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    On the Paul O'Grady Show Cliff Richard said he got out of the film buisness at the right time, but is that the case. Would he have been able to tackle more serious roles. I have the dvd of his stage show Heathcliff, which I consider to be a movie and that very much says he does.

Cliff played supporting roles in Serious Charge and Expresso Bongo with Sylvia Syms. Cliff then starred in The Young Ones, sang the title song and When The Girl In Your Arms. Imo his best film was Summer Holiday with American Lauri Peters. SH. Like The Beatles A Hard Days Night and Elvis' film Loving You, it's remarakble for the amount of hit records in it, SH, Batchelor Boy, The Next Time, Put On Your Dancing Shoes and A Swinging Affair. Reading his biography, Cliff said a young unknown American singer called Barbra Striesand was considered for the role of Lauri's Barbara Winters. I imagine if Striesand had played the role and still had massive succuss with Funny Girl and her subsequent movies, SH might now be regarded as a global classic, rather than just a national one.

I think Cliff thought the writing was on the wall after Wonderful Life and Finders Keepers. Both weren't that great, however, they had some classic moments in them. In WL Cliff, The Shadows, and the other young folk did an entertaining tribute to the movies and with the help of Una Stubbs and Susan Hamphire he sang the blistering On The Beach. In FK he and The Shads sang the title track on top of a train, then did the entertaining Time Goes By Real Slow.

Cliff supplied the voice of his fictional son in the puppet movie Thunderbirds Are Go with The Shads again he support. By now Cliff was known as a born again Christian and made with Father Dear Father star Anne Hollaway, the movie Two A Penny. The film was finianced by American preacher Billy Graham and was about an East-End wide-boy (Cliff), who was rather like Adam Faith's Budgie, but could use his fists, who finds God. It was Cliff's only dramatic film role, though he did sing I'll Love You Forever Today. The film didn't to any buisness at the major cinemas, but was hired by churches to show.

His film career proper finished, playing a banker in the 1970s Take Me High Love with Debbie Watling.

Though as I said earlier I consider Heathcliff a movie and he gives a great dramatic performance there. I also think I Do Not Love You Isabela, from the show, is one of his great songs.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    If Cliff had been able to consolidate on his roles in Expresso Bongo and Serious Charge I think he could have sustained a 'serious' film career throughout the 60s. He had a pleasant film personality and he could have done well in such films Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush et al. I think any chance of that happening was scuppered by his TV shows which were pretty grim.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    If Cliff had been able to consolidate on his roles in Expresso Bongo and Serious Charge I think he could have sustained a 'serious' film career throughout the 60s. He had a pleasant film personality and he could have done well in such films Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush et al. I think any chance of that happening was scuppered by his TV shows which were pretty grim.
    I doubt very much that Cliff would have wanted to be involved with Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush or films of that ilk.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenoir
    I doubt very much that Cliff would have wanted to be involved with Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush or films of that ilk.
    Perhaps HWGRTMB wasn't a good example, I meant those frothy 60s films like The Jokers, Crossplot films that were 'serious' but fun.

Wouldn't it have been interesting to see him in such a film as Performance or Blow Up though.

GRAEME
    No.

And again, no.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    No.

He made a sufficient number of movies - thank goodness.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    SH I think was the first movie my parents took me to, at the ABC, Hounslow. The building's site was a supermarket but goodness knows what it is now. A few years later Cliff came to see our Sixth Form at Grammar School, to discuss religion. I know that he had a '60 Cadillac sedan (photographed when he was filming at Elstree I think it was, nipping into the shops), then a '62 Corvette convertible, but in '68/'69 he had an E-type Jag.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    The history of Cliff Richard in the mid to late sixties seems to be re-written over the years as though he was one continous success however the truth was some what different. Cliff moved in to film because he was our answer to Elvis but they typically lightweight British. Then suddenly looked very dated compared the groups he was competing against in charts even though he still had hits in the short term. By the late sixties he was hammering on about religion at every opportuity which almost killed his career. So he was never going to be given any film or television roles because he came with so much baggage. I'm old enough to remember the release of 'Take Me High Love' and that was pretty much par for his career at the time - poor.

Liked
    1 times
    Good ol' Cliff is signing copies of his book at Lakeside shopping centre (thurrock, Essex) this friday 5th sept. Dont all rush at once And in answer to the OP's question, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    I think it's a shame so many people snipe at Cliff. He's been a very big artist, paid his dues and left a wonderful legacy of popular music. I worked with him a lot in the 60's and can confirm he's a Gentleman of the first order and I've never heard him speak ill of anybody. Is it not time we paid our respects?

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by earlb
    I think it's a shame so many people snipe at Cliff. He's been a very big artist, paid his dues and left a wonderful legacy of popular music. I worked with him a lot in the 60's and can confirm he's a Gentleman of the first order and I've never heard him speak ill of anybody. Is it not time we paid our respects?

He had a go recently about the Beatles and John Lennon in particular.

His acting was IMHO very lightweight as were his films. His voice is no tparticularly strong and he has made a very nice living on the strengh of it

Liked
    0 times
    The reason so many people get irritated with Cliff is that he is gay and never had the guts to come out of the closet!

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    I think Cliff is one of the greatest all-time entertainers. His vocal range is imense, as he's able to sing ballad's, rock an roll and even light opera. The fact he's created a new generation of fans over each decade speaks volumes for him as an entertainer. Even Sinatra struggled to do that.

As an actor, I thought in Heathcliff Cliff gave a brilliant acting as well as musical performance.

IMO he's not gay. As a born again Christian he's just playing by what he sees as the rules and not having sex outside of marriage. He was apparently a bit of a lad with the ladies before his conversion.

Unlike a lot of entertainers, who tire of touring and crave a family life, Cliff gets a buzz that never seems to wane when on the road. He admits to being selfish when it comes to his work and that it might not be fair on a wife to have to put up with that.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    If Cliff is gay, then it's up to him whether he tells anyone or not. For much of his life homosexual activity was a criminal offence, so had word got out it would have meant the end of his career and possibly even jail.

It's not fair to judge people by the standards of today, and for all any of us know, he might not be gay anyway!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast