Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Richard

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Harvey
    The reason so many people get irritated with Cliff is that he is gay and never had the guts to come out of the closet!
    I thought he had a fling with Sue Barker?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EHV_Emmetts
    I thought he had a fling with Sue Barker?
    He did .... she has acknowledged that they had a 'full' relationship and Cliff was indeed reputed to be a bit of a ladies man in his younger days. I am not a fan of Cliff's music by any means but I find the hostility towards his films odd to say the least. They are fun musicals typical of the early 60s and are much better IMHO than the crap churned out by Norman Wisdom at that time. I would like to see that 'religious' film he made as I have heard that he is quite good in it.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    That'll be Two A Penny you're refering too Bats.

Pat Boone also made The Cross And The Switchblade. playing a real-life preacher, who gets a gang to turn in their weapons. CATS has been ridiculed by the critics, but many churches show it as a means of outreach.

People have said Cliff's Christainty nearly destroyed his career, I'm not so sure. Elvis' recording career had many religious materal in it, such as Peace In The Valley, Crying In The Chappell and Lead Me, Guide Me. He also did Change Of Habit, a well acted movie with a strong Christian theme

Liked
    0 times
    I think Cliff could have appeared in more films at least he knew when to call it a day with the formula musicals, poor Elvis couldnt get of those film contracts. He was physically sick during the making of one of his poorest movies Clambake.

However after his last formula movie, Speedway M.G.M tried him in more adult roles in Live a Little Love A Little, Trouble With Girls and Stay Away Joe and he played a Doctor in the ghetto in Change Of Habit for Universal his last scripted picture but they did little business at the box office but at this time he made that truly brillaint comeback in the Burbank Tv Special of 1968.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    There was a woman on the TV some years back who had a full-blown affair with Cliff around 1961..she confirmed and was adamant that he was not 'batting on a different wicket', as I refuse to use that once-proud word that has been quoted: it meant happy, colourful, bright.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    The only Cliff film I've ever seen was Expresso Bongo. That was back in the early 1980's when Cliff had a very brief American career. Used to see him on Solid Gold a lot. I still watch his videos on Youtube. It seems like he's been around forever. I still like some of his songs. I just wish he was more popular over here.

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Contestants compose a song, then perform it before a panel which chooses the best six. (The composer need not be the singer).

Viewers vote for two of them which Sir Cliff then sings.

Viewers make the final decision. That song (probably) goes to No. 1.

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Why doesn't Cliff retire with his money gracefully, pop music has moved on and so should he.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hankoler
    Why doesn't Cliff retire with his money gracefully, pop music has moved on and so should he.
    Hopefully when he gets his much sort after No1 in this decade he will. Why dont they give him the Children in Need record.

Perhaps a duet with Amy Winehouse (what would they sing).

Liked
    0 times
    Nice to see a good review for Cliffs anniversary boxed set in The Record Collector. As I said a at the beginning of this thread Cliff has done a couple of things that havent been to my taste but I am happy enough to purchase most of his back catagloue, especially the lesser known sixites album tracks and forgotten hits. There is so much criticism levelled at Cliff its nice to hear some constructive comments for a change.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    I admit to liking some of his music, I'm probably one of very few Americans who even know who the guy is. Cliff has been around for a long time so I give him that much credit - he must be doing something right.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Cliff Richard sells more than just records

The singer's calendar is a perennial best-seller, but there are perfumes, wines, plates, teddy bears and even a rose too

Go on admit it, you have a Cliff calendar on your wall as well.........Is his plonk any good ?

The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...r-perfume-wine

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    I am sure many folks will want this 2011 calendar.....

Now aged 69, Sir Cliff is indeed an excellent role model for a 'clean living' lifestyle

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    It makes me feel rather ancient myself to realise that I remember his first hit single, Move It!, coming out in 1958, when I was eleven years old and he was still seventeen, going on eighteen. I was a big fan of Cliff and The Shadows and have all their 45 rpm singles from when they started up until 1969. After that, especially during the 1980's, the number of Cliff singles in my collection tails off considerably, mainly because I didn't like his change of style, although I do have Mistletoe and Wine. I don't buy CD's as I've always been a vinyl fan. So if Cliff wants some more hits, maybe he should go back to releasing them on vinyl and, if they're good enough, I may start buying them again. But really, Cliff doesn't need any more hits. He's already a legend and is very well off indeed, so he doesn't need the money.

As for his physical appearance, he's in far better shape than I am and I'm seven years younger than he is.

Liked
    98 times
    Before The Beatles came on the scene in 1962 /1963, the "sound" of Cliff Richard and The Shadows was the most exciting in pop music. They were able to handle melodic ballads and out and out rockers with equal dexterity. Listen to the guitar riff in the middle of the 1960 recording of I Cannot Find a True Love on this YouTube upload and you'll see what I mean...although you'll have to go and find it there as a direct link to it can't be posted on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvce69eXJNw

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    darren, thanks for posting that, Me and My Shadows was the first LP that I bought.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Apart from Move It!, one of only two (IMO) out and out top quality British pre-Beatles rock & roll classics (the other being Shakin' All Over by Johnny Kidd & The Pirates) I don't like any of Cliff's early stuff. His sixties material was too twee and corny for me.

He really came into his own musically at the end of the seventies/early eighties with stuff like Devil Woman, Carrie, We Don't Talk Any More and even ( OK, I'll admit to my guilty pleasure here ) Wired For Sound - before retreating back into the schmaltz again.

Regarding the merchandise and commercial spin offs etc... best of luck to him. I'm not a Cliff fan but have it on good authority that he really is one of the nicest and most universally popular stars in showbiz - and whilst I'm not into his music or merchandise, he has given harmless pleasure to millions and anyone who has achieved number one hit records spanning five consecutive decades must have something going for them.

Senior Member Country: Australia Kitty Whiskers's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, I like Cliff.

He strikes me as one of life's real individuals - he does his own thing in a quiet way, isn't mean about anyone in the press and has put up with 40+ years of people taking the p*** in good humour.

Good for him.

Liked
    98 times
    Amazingly, the tabloids have never been able to dig up...or make up...any dirt on him. That must count for something, too.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Before I ever went to school, my mum used to take me to the pub, The Allerton Hotel in Liverpool where she worked. I used to spend my time drinking coka colas whilst listening to the juke box. My favourites at the time were Leapy Lee's Little Arrows, The Tremeloes with Silence Is Golden and Helule, Helue, The Beatles with She Loves You, which Mum recalls as the first song she ever heard me sing (or murder!), and my favourite of all was Cliff Richard singing Congratulations. Funnily enough, that's one of my lesser favourites of his now. But at that time it was my favourite record. And so the seeds have stuck with Cliff. I'm more of a fan of his later stuff like Devil Woman, Take Me High, Wired For Sound and Little Town. Though I do like his early stuff too. Miss You Nights is my favourite.

There seems to be a great reluctance for people to admit they like Cliff. He even got banned from Radio 1. Personally, I think that's to Cliff's credit. I saw him live once in 1990 at Birmingham NEC. Fantastic entertainer. A real showman.

wec

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast