Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Richard

Liked
    0 times
    I'll put my hand up and yes I do. He's dropped some clangers in his time,"Heatchclffe." "Misletoe and WINE." "Millenium Prayer." but its a pity he gets slagged off so much.

He recorded some decenct enough stuff in the seventies from "Miss You Nights" onwards.

I like his late sixties period when he did covers of Neil Diamonds,"Girl You'll Be a Woman Soon" and Tim Hardins "Hang on to a Dream.

Admittedly early sixtes stuff like,"Theme for a Dream" was very twee,

I would have to say that in his rock and roll days at the beginiing he was no match for Elvis.

Its highly unkikely that he wil ever be critically re-apraised in years to come but hell like him or loathe him he is a national treasure.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Grey Wyler's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't say i'm all that keen on the man, but Throw Down A Line from 1968 is an absolute classic song. Certainly a Desert Island Disc for me .

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I wouldn't say I am a big fan of him,but I do have a lot of respect for him for his longevity in the music business. I would say for the amount of time he has been in the charts - six decades - I would seriously rate him as pop music's number 1 survivor.

My late sister was a big fan of him,and so is my sister in law.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    I thought he was good with The Shadows in the late 50's and early 60's, but he fell victim to the "all-round entertainer" aspiration, and very soon he was doing soft-shoe shuffles and singing dreadful show numbers with the boys and girls.

His problem seems to be that he still sees himself as cutting-edge and can't understand that he's got no rock credibility. He traded that in for a showbiz career many years ago, and he can't have it both ways.

Pity, because he's a pretty good singer.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    You can't record a tune like "Congratulations" and not expect to get some stick. Still "Move It" and "Wired For Sound" aren't bad at all.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Cliff Richard and the Shadows commence a 50th Anniversary Celebration Tour in Australia next month.

They are mostly playing small venues and clubs but have a very loyal fan base.

You have to pay Cliff and the Shadows their dues - 50 years in the business and some 250 million record sales worldwide.

They were never quite as big away from the UK but they certainly recorded some great tunes in the 50's and 60's.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    'Please don't tease' was my favourite, although 'Wired for sound' revitalised his career in 1981, when he was still young enough to compete with contemporaries of the time.

The Christamas songs became tedious and culminated in 'The Lords Prayer '.

I dont really have a problem with Cliff though.

The Young Ones was a very memorable film for me as a Junior.

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    As a sound engineer at Radio Luxembourg in the 60's I recorded his radio series. I would state that he is a thoroughly decent Gentleman and in all the time I knew him I never heard a cross word to or about anyone. I still have the tapes. A photo of me and Cliff can be seen at

208 It was Great Radio Luxembourg - Home

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent
    Cliff Richard and the Shadows commence a 50th Anniversary Celebration Tour in Australia next month.

They are mostly playing small venues and clubs but have a very loyal fan base.

You have to pay Cliff and the Shadows their dues - 50 years in the business and some 250 million record sales worldwide.

They were never quite as big away from the UK but they certainly recorded some great tunes in the 50's and 60's.

Dave.
    You can be sure the majority of his audiences in Oz will be female, over 60, and English-born.

Personally I can't stand him. I liked him in the 60s, but haven't taken much notice of him since then. He seemed to become rather arrogant and full of himself over the years. I saw him on YouTube just the other day and realised just how much I didn't like him any more. He was ruining a good song and I switched off. I know he had to update himself to keep his career going, but I don't like his style one little bit.

Liked
    0 times
    Not sure why people feel compelled to snigger and slag off Cliff Richard. I own up to having grown up with Cliff & The Shads music in the house and bought many of his singles and I have around 12 of his albums - some of which I only got last year and some of them are excellent.

Not every track has been a classic. I can't stand "Congratulations" but a track like "Help It Along" more than makes up for that.

Filmwise I have the Young Ones / Summer Holiday / Wonderful Life boxed set. (Wonderful Life was a disappointment when I saw it in the cinema I must admit.) I also have Serious Charge and Two A Penny. Less keen on Take Me High and Findes Keepers wasn't bad. I have seen Cliff 4 times and he has always put on an excellent show although last time he went on about Jesus a bit too much.

Here's my story about Cliff.

One Saturday afternoon in Glasgow around 1970, I was walking up Buchanan Street with my girlfriend and we noticed that there was a large crowd outside a church in West George Place (since renamed Nelson Mandela Place - I kid you not). We thought it was just a wedding but there were loads of people and lots of girls started screaming and suddenly someone ran outof a side door being pursued by about 50 girls. He was legging it as fast as he could to a car that was behind us in St Vincent Street. As he rushed past I looked and got a surporise when I saw who it was. I turned to my girlfriend I said "Wasn't that Cliff Richard?" But she wasn't there. She had joined the pack in pursuit of the man and I last saw him diving head first into the back seat of the car which then drove off pretty fast.

We found out later he had been best man at his friend's wedding and word obviously got out. Not sure he ever made it to the reception!

Liked
    0 times
    Summer Holiday is wonderful escapism.

Liked
    0 times
    I only have one or two gripes about him , he has had a bit of a whinge about having his nose knocked out of joint when the Beatles became a major force in the charts. We all know that many solo artists felt the pinch during those times, Adam Faith and Billy Fury to but two.

ButCliff carried on having hits during Betlmemania and most that material was a few notches above the poor material that Elvis was saddled with from 1963 to 1967.

His Eurovision entries,"Congratulations." and "Power to All My Friends," were pretty ropey.

Fortunately PhiL Coulter who wrote Congratulations with his writing parnter Bill Martin later redeedmed himself by writing "The Town I loves so Well." a song associated with The Dubliners.

The other thing I dont like was his statement on the radio documenary the other week about him being a very radical artiste which is cleary balderdash

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Surely folks will only buy Cliff's record if it is any good, and not a load of c**p !

Sir Cliff bids for chart history

By Ian Youngs

Music reporter, BBC News

Sir Cliff Richard has launched a campaign to make chart history by returning to the number one spot.

The veteran star has had chart-topping hits in five decades, from the 1950s to the 1990s, and now wants six in a row.

A new song, Thank You For A Lifetime, is being released next month to mark the 50th anniversary of his first hit.

He said: "I may be greedy, but to notch up a number one after 50 years would be just fantastic. I've got the song, I can only hope for the support."

Sir Cliff's first UK hit, Move It, reached number two in September 1958.

Living Doll was his first number one the following year, and he has since had 13 further best-sellers. The last was The Millennium Prayer in 1999.

Sir Cliff has had 14 number one singles in total between 1959-1999

Thank You For A Lifetime will be released on 8 September and a message on Sir Cliff's official website urged all fans to buy it.

"With the singles market gradually dying, and changes to singles charts, this could be the last chance for Cliff to achieve his 'sixth decade' ambition," it said.

The single will be backed by a previously "lost" track, Mobile Alabama School Leaving Hullabaloo.

It was recorded in 1977 but Sir Cliff has no recollection of the session. It was mis-filed in the archives and has only just been unearthed.

As well as being the B-side on the single, it will appear on an eight-disc retrospective that is also due out next month.

Sir Cliff is expected to launch a major publicity drive around the releases, with an autobiography to be published at the same time.

Thank You For A Lifetime will be available over the counter only at Woolworths, who have decided to make an exception to their recent decision not to stock singles. It will also be on sale as a download.

Liked
    1 times
    He can beg all he likes, he'll get no help from me

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    He could always make it a charity record ..... they nearly always get to #1 for some reason.

Liked
    1 times
    I have never really had a problem with Cliff, but recently he started criticising some of the early Beatles music. What a plonker By the way Cliff John & Paul & George wrote their own music, who wrote yours???

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Harry Roger Webb can place my help where the sun doesn't shine.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EHV_Emmetts
    Harry Roger Webb can place my help where the sun doesn't shine.
    His eyes'll be watering then, because he can shove mine up there too. The best record he ever made was that charity version of The Young Ones, and that was only because The Young Ones were in it.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    cliff has the cheesiest ever pop video,'wired for sound'-cliff wearing massive walkman headphones whilst rollerskating,ha ha ha brilliant!!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Cheesy ..... what do you mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcSwOwtyVHA

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast