Thread: Painted Boats

Liked
    0 times
    Is there a copy in existance of 'The Girl On The Canal' - US Title for the Ealing Film Painted Boats (1949).

Several years ago I think there was only one surviving copy in the UK archives, (This was before the loss of the Ealing negatives etc in the fire) When the film was issued on VHS, it looked as though someone had been cutting the print because of so many jump cuts. There was even an apology at the beginning of the film. I hope this print was not the sole surviving copy.

Many British Film prints have turned up in America or Australia in recent years, so perhaps this film may be able to be restored one day. I realize it is not the greatest film ever made but it is very important regarding a record of how the British Canals operated at that time.

Liked
    0 times
    I have a copy on VHS of Painted Boats. The only "apology" I seem to remember, is regarding the quality, as it is an old film. I have only watched it once, but have transferred it over onto DVD, but if memory serves me correctly, it wasn't too bad.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    I recall that this was issued on VHS in the UK a few years ago....DD video, I think...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I have this Ealing film on DVD if you're still looking for it.....

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I have just noticed on Amazon that this Ealing rarity is due for DVD release on 22nd June 2009. It's one of a handful of Ealing films that has always eluded me. At � 9.98, a must-purchase for me at least.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Johnallan']Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I have just noticed on Amazon that this Ealing rarity is due for DVD release on 22nd June 2009. It's one of a handful of Ealing films that has always eluded me. At � 9.98, a must-purchase for me at least.

Good to hear that a proper DVD release is being issued. However lets hope the print will be in better condition than the video release by DD a few years ago. On the video there were so many jump cuts they put an notice at the beginning of the tape.

Perhaps the DVD people have found another print, as I think there was only one print located in the British Archives.

This film is not the best story, comedy or action etc. but as a filmed record of life on the canals as it used to be, it seems to be an excellent example. The other film to feature canals as the main subject is of course The Bargie made during the 1960's.

Liked
    17 times
    I�m not sure what is going on with that Amazon advert. The mention of 22nd June release has now been replaced with a �Temporarily out of stock� notice. Doesn�t exactly fill one with confidence.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Painted-Boats-DVD-Jenny-Laird/dp/B001TJKW5O/ref=pd_sim_d_h__4"]Painted Boats[/ame]

Liked
    17 times
    Just received an e-mail alert from Amazon who are predicting [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001TJKW5O/ref=pe_7771_17445691_emwa_email_title_1"]Painted Boats[/ame] will be released on 11-1-2010.

Liked
    17 times
    If anyone is interested, I can confirm this DVD is now being shipped.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I still haven't received mine from MovieMail.

Nick

Liked
    17 times
    I received mine from MovieMail this morning.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Mine has arrived and I've just watched it. Some lovely scenery and it was nice to have my suspicions about where it was filmed confirmed - Stoke Bruerne, where the Canal Museum now is. I went there last year on the motorbike with my IAM group, but would like to go again for an extended look around.

A nice film, and good to see so many real canal people.

Nick

Liked
    17 times
    I think it is what we would call today a Docudrama with somewhat more documentary than drama. The film has transferred very well indeed and there are some wonderfully evocative canal scenes of a bygone way of life. I note that the leading lady Jenny Laird died as recently as 2001.