Senior Member Country: United States Lord Lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just curious if anyone has seen this somewhat obscure movie.

Love and Death on Long Island (1997)

It stars John Hurt as an anachronistic Englshman who becomes obsessed with a B movie American film star. Some funny scenes when John Hurt orders a pizza and proceeds to eat it with a knife and fork in a very stiff 'English manner, complete with houndstooth tweed jacket and tie if I recall.

Haven't seen it since it first came out, wonder if anyone else did, or has since?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I enjoyed it at the time though I haven't seen it since. Don't remember the pizza scene (I suspect that eating pizza with a knife and fork wouldn't have registered as at all stuffy to me) but the scene where John Hurt tries to buy a ticket for 'Hotpants College III' without anyone else hearing is hilarious. Though I though the Long Island sequences were less interesting than the London ones.

Liked
    0 times
    I saw this on a Transatlantic flight a few years back because it looked like the best of a bad bunch, and I ended up watching it three times on the flight and getting hold of the DVD as soon as I could. This is an excellent example of letting a new filmmaker get his ideas into practise. It is a film that is touching and yet incredibly funny. The bit I fell off my chair at was when he was standing in the electrical shop looking at items and the assistant came over to help, and it went

Assistant : Can I help you sir?

Giles (still looking) : I'd like a television

Assistant : Yes sir, well these are microwave ovens

Such a shame that it seems to have disappeared. I run it every few months and it gives me hope that there are some young and talented filmmakers out there who want to entertain us.

Senior Member Country: United States Lord Lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cosmo
    I saw this on a Transatlantic flight a few years back because it looked like the best of a bad bunch, and I ended up watching it three times on the flight and getting hold of the DVD as soon as I could. This is an excellent example of letting a new filmmaker get his ideas into practise. It is a film that is touching and yet incredibly funny. The bit I fell off my chair at was when he was standing in the electrical shop looking at items and the assistant came over to help, and it went

Assistant : Can I help you sir?

Giles (still looking) : I'd like a television

Assistant : Yes sir, well these are microwave ovens

Such a shame that it seems to have disappeared. I run it every few months and it gives me hope that there are some young and talented filmmakers out there who want to entertain us.
    Glad someone else enjoyed it. I thought it was incredibly under-rated and unfortunately seemed to disappear without a trace. I could also appreciate it as I 've lived in both cultures US and USA. The pizza bit was something that stuck in my mind as most Americans would eat pizza with their hands, paper towels and dressed in a pair of shorts and an old t-shirt. I thought it could have been a movie that Ealing could have made had it continued into the 1990's, maybe that's an overstatement. I don't remember the TV bit and probably needs another airing. I have a copy on VHS but no video player. I probably need to get a copy on DVD and watch it agian after initially seeing it over 10 years ago.