Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I am trying to find out the title of a film my mother took me to see in the early 1960s. The film was set in London and was about a boy who had told a lie about a man. I think that it may have been about the moral issue of telling lies and how other people can get into serious trouble because of it. The man may have been an Underground train driver as I think that there may have been some footage at a London Transport underground depot (maybe Upminster). It may also show the boy boarding a Green Line coach, but I could be confusing this with another film. I imagine the film was made in the late 1950s or early 1960s and was probably the B film.

I would be grateful for any help in finding out what the film was as it is one of my earlist childhood memories and has become something of a Holy Grail to find out what it was.

Liked
    0 times
    The only film I can think of that is anything near this is The Magnet (1950). It probably isn't the one you're thinking of, but you never know.

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    This film appears to fit general description:

Serious Charge (1959) dir. Terence Young

IMBd: aka A Touch of Hell aka Immoral Charge

Cast includes Anthony Quayle (Howard Phillips), Sarah Churchill (Hester Peters) and, making his screen debut, Cliff Richard (Curley Thompson)

The single, Living Doll, was released as a spin-off.

Howard Phillips, former army chaplain, arrives in new town to run youth club.

He rejects Hester Peters' advances in favour of football.

A local teddy boy accuses Phillips of sexual assault.

Once available on video, film deserves to be shown again on television.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Yup, could be Serious charge, though I think you may be confusing the Tube, Green line bus and London setting with another Film (SC is set in and was made in a Home Counties town, though a Green line bus passes by!)

Judith Furse (my avatar) plays the larger than life (literally) Probation Officer.......

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I thought it might be Serious Charge.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='FilmBuffuk']The only film I can think of that is anything near this is The Magnet (1950). It probably isn't the one you're thinking of, but you never know.

Wasn't The Magnet set in Liverpool?

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Bexcup can obtain a DVD of Serious Charge (Moviemail, �11.99p).

Please let the forum know if you've found the right film.

Liked
    0 times
    Serious Charge? Naaa!

Try 'The Yellow Balloon' (53)

Alex G.

Liked
    0 times
    Could the film have been the 1957, Beaconsfield film "Chain of events", does anyone have a synopsis of the film.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Bexcup']Could the film have been the 1957, Beaconsfield film "Chain of events", does anyone have a synopsis of the film.

A little white lie sets off a harrowing series of increasingly catastrophic events in this thriller. The trouble begins when a bank clerk tells a fib to avoid paying his bus fare. The lie quickly becomes the basis for extortion and finally murder. The story is based on a radio play written by British actor Leo McKern

All Movie Guide

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    The only Home Counties/Greater London-set films I can think of featuring buses as a major part of the plot are DON'T TALK TO STRANGE MEN and I START COUNTING, but they both feature young girls rather than young boys, and are obviously not the title/s you're looking for.

This whole question reminds me of an unanswered film question of my own though- a black and white thriller about a young boy, living in a house with a large staircase, who is known for telling fibs and sees someone being pushed down a flight of stairs to their death. Is it called WITNESS or something? Or amd I confusing it with the plot of MANDY?

All that aside, like to see ALL the films mentioned in this thread!! Especially SERIOUS CHARGE and CHAIN OF EVENTS. Anyone know where they might be found?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Are you thinking of 'The Fallen Idol', starring Ralph Richardson?

The Fallen Idol (1948)

Liked
    0 times
    A bit of a long shot, could it be "A CRY FROM THE STREETS" 1958. A lie about stealing in a London foster home ends up with four young children running off on a green line bus to hide out in the woods and one of them has a real gun that they think is a toy.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I remember that film!! Thanks for mentioning it, it saved me from posting a question of my own.

I still can't help Bexcup with his original query though. As for THE FALLEN IDOL, was that posted in answer to him or me? I think it pretty much clears up the identity of the film I was thinking of (thankyou), but doesn't tie up with Bex's.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    name='Jack Gurney']

This whole question reminds me of an unanswered film question of my own though- a black and white thriller about a young boy, living in a house with a large staircase, who is known for telling fibs and sees someone being pushed down a flight of stairs to their death. Is it called WITNESS or something? Or amd I confusing it with the plot of MANDY?

That would be The Fallen Idol but I don't know the movie title that Bex is seeking.

Liked
    177 times
    As for THE FALLEN IDOL, was that posted in answer to him or me? I think it pretty much clears up the identity of the film I was thinking of (thankyou).

Hello. That was definitely in response to your description and I'm glad to be of help. I saw this film only once, about 20 years ago during a major season of Carol Reed films on BBC2 and the memories suddenly came back.

But it could take us a long time to identify Bexcup's original post - especially if it's a B-feature.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    Maybe this website can help? There appears to be a lot of links to descriptions of scene descriptions and found films.

The Internet Movie Critic - Find That Film!

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks for the link but I think this forum is far superior as it's easier to find the descriptions in the thread titles.

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    name='EHV_Emmetts']Wasn't The Magnet set in Liverpool?

Correct EHV an early film for James Fox

Liked
    0 times
    I did think it was and bought a copy, however although it did include the Green Line bus in it, it wasn't the film. It may well be that I am confusing two films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast