Thread: Sweeney Todd

Liked
    144 times
    I heard there was a "Sweeney Todd" done before the Burton's, is it a good one ??....did Stephen Sondheim compose lyrics and music of this one too ??

Moon.

Liked
    137 times
    Moon, I think it must be the British 1930's film starring the great Tod Slaughter ( he is in my avatar ), not a musical ! a good old fashioned British melodrama. Mr. Slaughter had for many years played Sweeney Todd on stage.

If you would like any more information please let me know

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    There was a fine Silent version starring a pre-Will Hay Moore Marriott - I don't know if it survives complete, but what I've seen is very effective.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    There was a tv film based on Sondheim's Broadway musical. Generally reckoned to be much better than the recent effort.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (1982) (TV)

Available on DVD: [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweeney-Todd-Demon-Barber-Street/dp/B0014T7EK0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221760088&sr=1-3"]Amazon.co.uk: Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street [1982]: George Hearn, Angela Lansbury, Harold Prince, Terry Hughes: DVD[/ame]

Liked
    144 times
    Thanks everyone !!

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp is now one of my favorite films (which doesnt often happen with modern films), I love the film and the music which I find quite humorous.

There is a television production with Ray Winston which I wasn`t really impressed with. The acting was quite good but I didn`t really get into it that much.

xx

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    There's also a 1998 version directed by John Schlesinger with Ben Kingsley and Joanna Lumley.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The Sondheim version is an adaptation of a play by Christopher Bond that was done at Stratford East back in the early 1970s. The main new element is the revenge on the Judge and Beadle - in early versions, Todd is just crazy.

I thought the Depp version was brilliant - the earlier musical version is more or less a straightforward filming of the Broadway production. Very good in its own but not terribly cinematic. My favourite stage version is the John Doyle 'actor-musician' one with no orchestra, but the cast playing their own instruments (though the actor who plays Todd is usually excused from this).

Liked
    144 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']The Sondheim version is an adaptation of a play by Christopher Bond that was done at Stratford East back in the early 1970s. The main new element is the revenge on the Judge and Beadle - in early versions, Todd is just crazy.

I thought the Depp version was brilliant - the earlier musical version is more or less a straightforward filming of the Broadway production. Very good in its own but not terribly cinematic. My favourite stage version is the John Doyle 'actor-musician' one with no orchestra, but the cast playing their own instruments (though the actor who plays Todd is usually excused from this).

In the Burton's version, who is the actor playing the judge ??...never seen him before and he is very good...is it the actors real voice when singing ??

Moon.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    name='moonfleet']In the Burton's version, who is the actor playing the judge ??...never seen him before and he is very good...is it the actors real voice when singing ??

Moon.

That would be our lovely Alan Rickman - and yes, it's his own voices.

Liked
    144 times
    name='Gazza']That would be our lovely Alan Rickman - and yes, it's his own voices.

Thanks Gazza.

Liked
    0 times
    name='narabdela']There was a tv film based on Sondheim's Broadway musical. Generally reckoned to be much better than the recent effort.

Available on DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street [1982]: George Hearn, Angela Lansbury, Harold Prince, Terry Hughes: DVD

That's a taping of the Broadway show live on stage rather than a tv movie. If you want a record of the show it's perfect.

If we're talking non-Sondheim, non-musical versions of the story let's not forget the recent BBC opne with Ray Winstone.

Mal

Liked
    144 times
    Just seen it few days ago, it's a TV film I think, and a great one ..

I was first surprised that the story is completely diferent than the Burton's version, and discovering Ray Winston, Essie Davis, and ....cherry on the cake, David Warner in .... ( Hope it was a lot of make up that made his face in the film !!)

Moon.

Senior Member Country: United States robotoid97's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='narabdela']There was a tv film based on Sondheim's Broadway musical. Generally reckoned to be much better than the recent effort.

Available on DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street [1982]: George Hearn, Angela Lansbury, Harold Prince, Terry Hughes: DVD

Yes indeed, in my opinion the earlier TV version is far superior to the recent Burton film , I saw it when it was originally broadcast live and Angela Lansbury and George Hearn were both wonderful.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    There's also another version of the musical available on DVD, with George Hearn and Patti Lu Pone. It was a concert version recorded in 2001, and is pretty good. And yes, still Sondheim.

Liked
    0 times
    I Found this attempt at a musical unbearable to watch

another mess constructed by the below average niche director that is

tim burton

i understand the guy has a large fan base and if you enjoy his films fine by it

but the guy in my opinion is overated and should perhaps stop relying on great actor to bring his films up a notch