Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone seen the comedy film, 'Sailor beware', 1956, starring Peggy Mount as Mrs Emma Hornet, the mother-in-law from Hell? Because on IMDB there is a comedy called, 'Watch it, Sailor', 1961, with the same characters as the original; anyone seen, or heard, this version?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Sailor Beware is one of my favourite guilty pleasures, it made a star of Peggy Mount who had originated the role on stage. Watch it Sailor is a sequel, and I have an idea, could be wrong, that Thora Hird played the part on stage.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    That's the US title (renamed because of the Lewis-Martin comedy). I see the British title is not even listed on the IMDb.
    It was renamed Panic in the Parlour in the US.

Liked
    4 times
    " I have an idea, could be wrong, that Thora Hird played the part on stage"

As far as I remember Kathleen Harrison played the part on stage, but she was so identified with Ma Hugget, Mrs Thursday etc. that she was quite wrong to be playing a dragon like Emma Hornett.

Liked
    0 times
    You are probably right on that one, Hugo, and Kathleen Harrison would have been even more unsuitable in the role than Thora Hird.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenoir
    Sailor Beware is one of my favourite guilty pleasures, it made a star of Peggy Mount who had originated the role on stage. Watch it Sailor is a sequel, and I have an idea, could be wrong, that Thora Hird played the part on stage.
    There is also a third installment called Rock-A-Bye, Sailor - it never made it to the screen......yet

Liked
    0 times

Cyril Smith and Kathleen Harrison in the stage production of Watch It, Sailor!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    He looked quite different when he became MP for Rochdale, didn't he?

Liked
    0 times
    Sailor Beware of Emma Hornett.

Based on the play by Falkland L. Cary {sreenplay writer here as well}, Sailor Beware is one of those amiable British comedies from the 50s that let you while away a couple of hours without much call for thought. The premise is basically that Sailor Albert Tufnell is to be wed to the gorgeous Shirley Hornett, only trouble is is that his Mother-In-Law to be, Emma, is a battle axe of the highest order. Constantly interfering and convinced that nobody is good enough for her Shirley, Emma sets about making everyones life a misery running up to the wedding day. Poor father of the bride Henry, best man Carnoustie Bligh, batty aunt Edie, and of course Albert himself, all of them are bossed about to within an inch of their respective lives. Will the wedding go ahead?, will a miracle happen and Emma finally keep her nose out of blossoming love?, these are questions answered as the film comes to it's delightfully tidy conclusion. Featuring a towering performance from Peggy Mount as Emma, and a very undervalued comic turn from Cyril Smith as Henry, Sailor Beware holds few surprises, but in that there is nothing wrong for this is good honest entertainment not asking you to scratch the head and ponder, 6/10.

Senior Member Country: England Tom Bancroft's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Also enjoyable is "Watch It Sailor" (1961). Same story - different cast (except Cyril Smith retained as Henry).

A strong cast with Marjories Rhodes matching Peggy Mount's efforts as Emma, thankfully without the foghorn voice. Irene Handl is also a delight in the Edie role (previously portrayed by the brilliant Esma Canon). Shirley Eaton is replaced by Vera Day, but for me the real beauty is provided by Liz Fraser.

I enjoy both these productions equally and could watch both over and over again.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I recorded Sailor Beware when it was shown on ABC here as a late late film

a few weeks ago.

Thoroughly enjoyable! Attractive leads in Ronald Lewis & Shirley Eaton.

Peggy Mount, Esme Cannon & Cyril Smith, excellent. A very thin & gawky

Gordon Jackson & A very sexy & alluring Joy Webster ( way out of his league)

as his love interest.

Good fun!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    'Sailor Beware!' is on Channel 4 on Thursday March 19th at 1.55pm.........the Radio Times review says "Peggy Mount revels in the booming battleaxe persona that made her a household name in TV sitcoms of the 1960s in this politically incorrect comedy. Here she terrorises hubby Cyril Smith and prospective son-in-law Ronald Lewis on the eve of daughter Shirley Eaton's wedding".