Liked
    0 times
    Hello friends, i have a doubt. The film "man in the iron mask" (1977 version with Richard Chamberlain), was shown in the British Television in the 70's? or this film was shown only in the US Television in the 70's and NOT in the UK Television??

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    This film has been on TV in the UK several times .... the most recent being about three weeks ago.

Liked
    0 times
    But the 1977 version? or the 1939 version?? In the IMDb site, this 1977 film, NOT been on UK TV in the 70's, look:

The Man in the Iron Mask (1977) (TV) - Release dates

The Man in the Iron Mask (1977) (TV) - Company credits

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    It would be great if the 1939 version was ever on British tv because Louis Hayward does a great Noel Coward impersanation. But it's the Richard Chamberlain version that gets shown all the time, most recently on the 17th August. Assuming it was a film made for cinematic release it wouldn't have actually been on tv in the 1970s in Britain as there used to be a 5 year gap before films could be shown on television.

Liked
    0 times
    I had this doubt, cause in the official biography of IRON MAIDEN, Steve Harris says: "In February 1976 I seen the movie the man in the iron mask on TV, and the name IRON MAIDEN came from there". So, he seen the 1939 film in the uk television in 1976?? The 1977 version logically was released in 77. Or this may a lie of Steve?

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    I remember watching this great film on TV in the US in the late 70s or early 80s when I was a kid.

The whole idea of the iron mask really creeped me out. So did the sinister Patrick McGoohan.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='James Fox']I remember watching this great film on TV in the US in the late 70s or early 80s when I was a kid.
    The making of the movie is mentioned in a couple of issues of 'Film Review' in 1977. A spring edition makes reference to it being released in 'the coming months'. I've never come across a note of it being shown in the cinema in the UK however. I have a note of it's being shown at Xmas 1979 on television, but I can't recall exactly where I got that snippet of info from...

McGoohan was of course in the Royal Film of 1977, Silver Streak.

Liked
    0 times
    But the 1939 version, shown in the UK TV in 1976, 1977??

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The Chamberlain version was shown over Christmas 1980 (so presumably it was a tv movie originally). The Louis Hayward version wasn't shown on tv during that period

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I can remember seeing the Louis Hayward version on TV in the 60,s. BBC I think.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='BeneBreno']I had this doubt, cause in the official biography of IRON MAIDEN, Steve Harris says: "In February 1976 I seen the movie the man in the iron mask on TV, and the name IRON MAIDEN came from there". So, he seen the 1939 film in the uk television in 1976?? The 1977 version logically was released in 77. Or this may a lie of Steve?
    Maybe this guy just made an amalgamation of memories in his head. Dumas' stories were often intermingled in TV shows I'm pretty sure. I have never consciously watched the 1939 movie or read the specific book by Dumas but have always been somehow aware of the Iron Mask story.

PS.

I actually thought an Iron Maiden was that thing with spikes on the inside made in the shape of a Mummy sarcophagus anyhow, rather than an iron mask.

Liked
    0 times
    yeah, iron maiden is a sarcophagus with spikes but the idea of iron maiden came from iron mask when Steve saw the movie "the man in the iron mask" on TV in 1976. So it is a lie (??) because in 1976 it was not shown any version of the film on UK TV???

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='BeneBreno']yeah, iron maiden is a sarcophagus with spikes but the idea of iron maiden came from iron mask when Steve saw the movie "the man in the iron mask" on TV in 1976. So it is a lie (??) because in 1976 it was not shown any version of the film on UK TV???

He probably just got the year wrong by mistake.